Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I disagree with the Americans will not work 8 hours. Most, of us have to make a living!!
I live where you were lucky to have a job in the winter and our summers were pretty slow and everyone did any job available, too put food on the table.
We have a ski resort coming in and they hired locals at first and now your lucky to get called in for the first interview and these are people qualified for the jobs and speak ENGLISH real well.

Mean while, they have brought in people from Peru and Brazil and in the paper on a write up about the resort they called it adding DIVERSITY to our area.

An again, locals in a town still struggle to make a living but, now that there's work they import people from another country instead of hiring the LEGAL AMERICAN!!

I work usually hours a day and my husband pulls 12 sometimes 14 depends on the day he also hasnt taken his vaction in 3 years nor a sick day in at least 5. I dont know anyone that works just 8 hours, unless it's governement LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Construction work is very difficult, and many illegal immigrants I have worked with take long lunch breaks and other breaks during the day. Yea, some of them might be lazy, and some flat out need a break. Many of them, including some myself, take naps in the afternoon soon after arriving home.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM

109 posts, read 210,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I work usually hours a day and my husband pulls 12 sometimes 14 depends on the day he also hasnt taken his vaction in 3 years nor a sick day in at least 5. I dont know anyone that works just 8 hours, unless it's governement LOL
Being a farmer I work less the few winter months, but the rest of the year it's daylight till dark, 7 days a week.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecttan01 View Post
Being a farmer I work less the few winter months, but the rest of the year it's daylight till dark, 7 days a week.
It's pretty tough work, huh?!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Construction work is very difficult, and many illegal immigrants I have worked with take long lunch breaks and other breaks during the day. Yea, some of them might be lazy, and some flat out need a break. Many of them, including some myself, take naps in the afternoon soon after arriving home.
My husband does construction,he doesnt normally put his bags on but he will to get the job done instead of arguing with them, he can run circles around them. He still loves that. he will sometimes go without lunch, which of course I yell at him for, but he loves to show them that a 38 year old can still take them, usually shuts them up.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:56 PM

It's a good workout, some illegal immigrants are lazy, while some work hard, while some are mediocre. Americans can do these jobs, the low wages and physical demands are a major turn off.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Farmings rough, my grandparents and my mom did it forever. Always something that needs to be done. They didnt make me work all day I had school, but up at 4:30 chores, school then homework then work till dark. Picking spuds is hard. But during the summer it was always on, loved the spud celler though, nice and cool in there!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM

109 posts, read 210,474 times
It is very hard work, maybe the hardest there is, but I am not complaining,
the truth of the matter is, I love every minute of it.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
It's a good workout, some illegal immigrants are lazy, while some work hard, while some are mediocre. Americans can do these jobs, the low wages and physical demands are a major turn off.
yes it is, he still impresses me!!! I love physicall work, but the pay now sucks, I saw it really take a nose dive about 8 years ago, usually pay goes up but when you have a combo of illegals willing to work for less and greedy builders, it can go nowhere but down.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
It is very hard work, maybe the hardest there is, but I am not complaining,
the truth of the matter is, I love every minute of it.
I miss it, I loved being with my family.After my grandparents died we had to sell it. My uncle had a sheep farm in Montana and I would go up there for the summers, but the family sold it 2 years after he died, I was very sad.Now I do have a rather large garden here, but nothing grows during the summer, 120 degrees kills most!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration