Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If the government made legal immigration a quicker and easier process it would undoubtedly decrease the amount of illegal immigration/undocumented immigrants. I have gone through the process and it is absolutely brutal, it took us nearly a year to get a visa. I have other acquaintances who have been rejected for visas, mostly because it was determined that the applicant was unable to prove that he/she had enough going for them in their country of origin (AKA - the applicant wasn't wealthy enough). Just because someone doesn't own a lucrative business, have a huge bank account and/or doesn't own a significant amount of land doesn't mean they are planning to outstay their visa limit. My wife's family will never be able to visit us here legally because they don't meet the financial/land owning requirements to be able to obtain a visitor's visa, meanwhile we can go back and forth as we please...this is absolulte bull**** if you ask me.

My solution is to:
A. decrease processing times for visa applications
B. eliminate land/wealth requirements for temporary visas

If undocumented people are going to be here anyway, I say document them and tax them...problem solved.
Just because someone knocks on your door doesn't mean that they are entitled to be let in. There are quotas for a reason and a half a million people a year is more than plenty for a Nation with finite resources plus a shaky economy. You cannot tax someone who will be living below the poverty line indefinitely. That is called a burden.

Treating the US as a tax payer funded stall stuff is just offensive. Let's see how many millions of Illegals Aliens we can cram into the US before there is a revolution.

If you aren't coming through the legal channels just like how everyone came through Ellis Island or today's process then tough, no one is ENTITLED to anything American except Americans! Especially the tax money we have spent our entire lives paying into the govt coffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:24 PM

45 posts, read 61,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
All I ask is that Italian stone masons, Middle eastern doctors, African school teachers, or Thai chefs who ALL have something real to offer this nation be given preference over Jose's high school drop out brother or any other under skilled person in his family.
Hm.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:36 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I welcome diversity as well, but not if it's violent and has nothing to offer. Sadly, this is the tip of the iceberg.

washingtonpost.com

You can't sit there, Slig and tell me that these losers had anything meaningful to contribute to our nation. Now, we get to feed and house them for the rest of our lives. That goes for anyone else, no matter where they are from.
How is this relevant? The article makes no suggestion of their immigration status, so for all you know they could be U.S. citizens or be legal aliens. I never said I was pro-murder and I would agree that gangs and gang violence is a very serious problem.

We obviously have different viewpoints on immigration, what I am trying to find is a fiscally feasible way we could tackle the problem. Human rights issues aside, in my opinion it would be silly to build a huge wall and line it with guards 24/7, it would be too costly and people would end up still finding ways to get in. If they want to come here, they still will.

Limiting the number of legal immigrants will just increase the number of illegal immigrants, like I said, if people want to get in, they'll get in, legal or not.

My idea would increase tax revenue without building costly walls and hiring costly guards.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:56 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
I love when someone says" lets make all legal they will pay taxes" LOL
Someone making under 25-30K a year hardly pays any taxes..
What do you think the average Illegal makes?6-10$ an Hour?

Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I love when someone says" lets make all legal they will pay taxes" LOL
Someone making under 25-30K a year hardly pays any taxes..
What do you think the average Illegal makes?6-10$ an Hour?
For alot of them they don't earn high hourly wages but they work 2-3 jobs and put in 80-100 hours a week and put in alot of overtime. I know undocumented guys who own nicer homes than me and drive around in new luxury automobiles. Just going by the sheer volume of undocumented workers in the US the potential tax revenue is significant, and it is money the government should be collecting in the first place, so why not collect?

Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
For alot of them they don't earn high hourly wages but they work 2-3 jobs and put in 80-100 hours a week and put in alot of overtime. I know undocumented guys who own nicer homes than me and drive around in new luxury automobiles. Just going by the sheer volume of undocumented workers in the US the potential tax revenue is significant, and it is money the government should be collecting in the first place, so why not collect?
For every Illegal that successful I can show you probably 50,000 that are living below poverty level not paying taxes on anything more than food and gas all the while dipping into social services.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
For every Illegal that successful I can show you probably 50,000 that are living below poverty level not paying taxes on anything more than food and gas all the while dipping into social services.
Where do you have this data, are you a social worker? At least in my state poor white citizens from the outskirts and rural areas eat up more wellfare money than any other group of people and it isn't close. I don't know a single undocumented individual who is getting welfare benefits. They don't have the documentation necessary to apply for that type of aid, either that or they are too afraid of exposing themselves. I do know quite a few undocumented people who pay for third party medical insurance which means they aren't using assisted healthcare. You all seem to paint this picture of undocumented worker's as being some kind of blood sucking parasite and most really aren't anything like that.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Where do you have this data, are you a social worker? At least in my state poor white citizens from the outskirts and rural areas eat up more wellfare money than any other group of people and it isn't close. I don't know a single undocumented individual who is getting welfare benefits. They don't have the documentation necessary to apply for that type of aid, either that or they are too afraid of exposing themselves. I do know quite a few undocumented people who pay for third party medical insurance which means they aren't using assisted healthcare. You all seem to paint this picture of undocumented worker's as being some kind of blood sucking parasite and most really aren't anything like that.
FYI: the threat of deportation is quite the 'incentive' to work hard for chump change---------if said illegal aliens were amnestied---------I would be willing to bet they would revert to being lazy themselves. The reality is using just Mexico as an example: it ain't exactly the creme de la creme of their citizenry coming here illegally.

Again: said criminals need to leave the USA.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
FYI: the threat of deportation is quite the 'incentive' to work hard for chump change---------if said illegal aliens were amnestied---------I would be willing to bet they would revert to being lazy themselves. The reality is using just Mexico as an example: it ain't exactly the creme de la creme of their citizenry coming here illegally.

Again: said criminals need to leave the USA.
The threat of deportation has nothing to do with how hard an undocumented worker is going work, they are motivated to work hard so they can support their families. Where does this lazy stereotype come from? The Latin American workers I've come into contact with are the hardest workers I've seen. I personally would struggle to work 2 full-time jobs with a third part-time job. I don't know any American born people who pull that off, although I imagine there is a rare exception here and there. I'm not sure what you refer to when you say "creme de la creme." If you're talking about wealth it is pretty obvious that wealthy Latin Americans fly here on visitor visas and the ones who come here to work are not wealthy. Beyond that many of them are very good people. The media takes the few that get involved with gangs and crime and give people a false perception that this is what all of them are like and it simply isn't true.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM

471 posts, read 587,252 times
Here are some more of the facts that you loathe so much, And that make me Racist.
Quote:
Mexican Immigrants Have Very High Poverty Rates. Poverty among immigrants in general and Mexican immigrants in particular is significantly higher than that of natives. In 1999, 11.2 percent of natives (compared to 16.8 percent of all immigrants) lived in poverty. The poverty rate for Mexican immigrants is dramatically higher than that of natives or immigrants in general. In 1999, 25.8 percent of Mexican-born immigrants lived in poverty — more than double the rate for natives. In other words, despite the current economic expansion, about one in four Mexican immigrants lives in poverty, compared to about one in ten natives.
While poverty among Mexican immigrants is certainly high, the figures cited above actually understate the difference between Mexicans and U.S. natives because the U.S.-born children of immigrants (under 18), who are by definition natives, are not counted with their immigrant parents, but instead are included in the figures for natives. Because a child’s standard of living reflects his parents’ income, however, it may be more reasonable to view poverty among the native-born children of immigrants as attributable to their immigrant parents. Figure 7 includes the U.S.-born children of immigrant mothers with their parents. The figure shows that poverty among natives drops from 11.2 percent to 10.8 percent when the American-born children of immigrants are excluded from the counts for natives. In contrast, poverty among Mexican immigrants rises from 25.8 percent to 28.7 percent when their U.S.-born are counted with them. Thus the poverty rates for Mexican immigrants and their children is two and one-half times the rate for natives and their children.
Thats just BELOW poverty. Not to mention how great do you think the job market is for people who have LESS than a High school diploma? Or even a GED? I think I mentioned 60% don't even have that. I love how you act like there are just a bazillion undocumented high school drop out millionaires running around. Jesus H. Christ.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration