Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM

14 posts, read 12,620 times

Advertisements

I don't think illegal immigration battles will cease until both sides come to a compromise. How is this idea? I know it's not perfect but it's a not an "all or nothing" solution, which I don't think will work.
I think we should have a work permit system that allows any illegal alien to enter the US, get screen, fingerprinted and put into a system if there is a job for them. If they are already in the country and have a job, then they would be put into this system and given a permit. If they are in the country and do not have a job within a certain time frame, they are sent back to their country of origin and not allowed to re-enter. I also think the current system of becoming a legal resident should be adjusted to reduce all the bureaucratic red tape. If a permit person commits any crime or is unemployed for a period of time, then they are sent back to their country of origin. They would not be allowed to re-enter because they would be in a system with fingerprints. This would bring employers, especially those who use illegal employees to have to pay into the system for employment tax and social security. Let's face it people, illegal aliens wouldn't come here if there was no work or money to be made. I think the boarders should be guarded and patrolled to keep order and a system in place, however it should only be done by trained professional police officers who are educated in this field. There should be fingerprints required for everyone who enters the country, even citizens, and in so would also reduce the rate for citizens who commit crimes or transport drugs. If you are a citizen and have been convicted of a crime you would not be allowed to leave the country, just as those who are convicted of a crime are not allowed to vote.
I think we all need to think in terms of compromise and how to fix the situtation without it being all one side or the other. I think this issue is always so heated because people tend to use it to hide their issues of discrimination (either discrimintation of others or being discriminated against) or personal pain.
As a citizen of this country, I realize that I was born into this situtation by pure luck. I am blessed for that but I or anyone could have easily been born in another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:43 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,898 times
Now, where is the fun in THAT?

Joking aside, I think something like what you say is in the works. In forums people tend to not compromise because, well, even if they did, nothing would come out of it.

In real life though, I would think that the people in power are working in getting a balance where they lose the least amount of support for the maximum amount of political chips. In the next few months some kind of compromise should be coming up.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,558,654 times
We already have immigration laws, but they aren’t being enforced. We also grant citizenship to more immigrants than ALL other countries combined. A compromise is generally initiated when EACH side has something to offer that is mutually beneficial. Illegals have nothing to offer us. In fact, they are a burden to the taxpayers of this country.

During this period of economic crisis we have 14 million unemployed citizens, and the number is growing with each passing day. We simply do not have enough jobs to accommodate everyone in the world who may desire to live in this country. It’s time to take care of our own, and it’s time to rid this country of the scourge of illegal immigration.

I totally agree with you on the employer issue. If not for greedy employers who prefer cheap labor, illegals would not find work in this country, and most would leave.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,851,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We already have immigration laws, but they aren’t being enforced. We also grant citizenship to more immigrants than ALL other countries combined. A compromise is generally initiated when EACH side has something to offer that is mutually beneficial. Illegals have nothing to offer us. In fact, they are a burden to the taxpayers of this country.

During this period of economic crisis we have 14 million unemployed citizens, and the number is growing with each passing day. We simply do not have enough jobs to accommodate everyone in the world who may desire to live in this country. It’s time to take care of our own, and it’s time to rid this country of the scourge of illegal immigration.

I totally agree with you on the employer issue. If not for greedy employers who prefer cheap labor, illegals would not find work in this country, and most would leave.
Agreed.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Newideas, see...

Old 06-02-2009, 04:20 PM

I guess this is why we have so many wars. No one really wants to compromise, they just want to win at whatever cost. Oh well, I tried.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:12 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newideas View Post
I guess this is why we have so many wars. No one really wants to compromise, they just want to win at whatever cost. Oh well, I tried.
If it means physically fortifying our southern border and issuing our BP 'shoot-to-kill' orders to shut off the flow of illegals-----------so be it.

We want those illegal alien criminals out of the USA.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,865 times
Quote:
Sorry, New World Order. We already DID compromise. We agreed to an amnesty back in 1986 that was supposed to solve the problem of illegal immigration. Fast forward twenty plus years and now instead of having 3 million illegals, we have at least 12 million. It does not sound to me like our compromise with the other side turned out very well for the average American, does it sound that way to you?
You know what they say, fool me once and shame on you, fool me twice and shame on me.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM

471 posts, read 587,026 times
Quote:
Aw hell, don't give up that easy...

I totally disagree with you of course, for a multitude of reasons, but don't give out. Get educated on the subject a bit more. You WILL change your mind, the only ones who remain staunch are the ones who are either on a student visa, illegal, or just don't like America. The fact that we were duped into such a situation before (see the amnesty of 3 million in the 80s) is mainly why i don't trust them to get it right this time.

Check out the welfare use of immigrants, Mexicans explicitly. It is exponentially higher than natives. Also, free flowing immigration and easy access welfare don't mix. And your point about people over staying and being sent back, how would we do that? We don't even successfully load up and send back everyone who has over stayed their visa's right now.

The fact is we can create what ever system and if the laws in that system are not enforced we are still in the same boat. Every so called "Immigration reform" bill of the last 50 years has ended in the further burdening of the native tax payer and a little more American culture lost.

As far your stance on comprimise... There is a point at which everyone had to say, "enough is enough." We have given and given and given. Its time to stop giving. I'm tired of the battered Americans syndrome that America suffers from. Its NOT our fault all the time, No I won't continue to take the beating and hope the situation will get better on it's own.

We are a nation, nations have borders, those borders must be defended. Also the libs want this retarded ass backward welfare state, so if we MUST have it, let it only be for natives and 2nd gen. immigrants. No more hand outs to first gen. immigrants and ILLEGALS especially. If people wish to come here they had better be prepared to provide for themselves and their kids they bring with them. Stop coming here expecting us to give you a hand.

No more compromise. Its time for the big kids to pick up the ball and say, "you kiddies had your chance with playing nice with the little illegals, now its time to send them home." There is really nothing to compromise.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Aw hell, don't give up that easy...

I totally disagree with you of course, for a multitude of reasons, but don't give out. Get educated on the subject a bit more. You WILL change your mind, the only ones who remain staunch are the ones who are either on a student visa, illegal, or just don't like America. The fact that we were duped into such a situation before (see the amnesty of 3 million in the 80s) is mainly why i don't trust them to get it right this time.

Check out the welfare use of immigrants, Mexicans explicitly. It is exponentially higher than natives. Also, free flowing immigration and easy access welfare don't mix. And your point about people over staying and being sent back, how would we do that? We don't even successfully load up and send back everyone who has over stayed their visa's right now.

The fact is we can create what ever system and if the laws in that system are not enforced we are still in the same boat. Every so called "Immigration reform" bill of the last 50 years has ended in the further burdening of the native tax payer and a little more American culture lost.

As far your stance on comprimise... There is a point at which everyone had to say, "enough is enough." We have given and given and given. Its time to stop giving. I'm tired of the battered Americans syndrome that America suffers from. Its NOT our fault all the time, No I won't continue to take the beating and hope the situation will get better on it's own.

We are a nation, nations have borders, those borders must be defended. Also the libs want this retarded ass backward welfare state, so if we MUST have it, let it only be for natives and 2nd gen. immigrants. No more hand outs to first gen. immigrants and ILLEGALS especially. If people wish to come here they had better be prepared to provide for themselves and their kids they bring with them. Stop coming here expecting us to give you a hand.

No more compromise. Its time for the big kids to pick up the ball and say, "you kiddies had your chance with playing nice with the little illegals, now its time to send them home." There is really nothing to compromise.
Hmmm...Sorry I don't agree with you either and I can guarantee you I have a very high education. It doesn't change my mind, but thanks for trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration