Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Bottom line is that it's her house and her property, she is not breaking any laws. I do not like the sign either but it is not anyone's place to tell her what or how to think, or how to express it. People like her are the price we all pay for our freedom of speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:52 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Yet whites, blacks and asians haven't turned a blind eye to this problem right?
Some have this is true. The difference of course being the scale of the problem. If my car had a blown engine a bad tranny and 1 tire with a slow leak I would not consider the car to be a lemon because of the slow leak.
Hispanics are in the spot light because they are by far the worst offenders of our immigration laws. No spin can change this fact. Add to this the number of hispanics demanding amnesty, and special consideration for said illegals.
Do you see whites, asians, and blacks marching by the millions for amnesty?
If a white group went by the name of the race I am quite confident that it would be branded as a racist group regardless of its actions. One can not have it both ways.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Some have this is true. The difference of course being the scale of the problem. If my car had a blown engine a bad tranny and 1 tire with a slow leak I would not consider the car to be a lemon because of the slow leak.
Hispanics are in the spot light because they are by far the worst offenders of our immigration laws. No spin can change this fact. Add to this the number of hispanics demanding amnesty, and special consideration for said illegals.
Do you see whites, asians, and blacks marching by the millions for amnesty?
If a white group went by the name of the race I am quite confident that it would be branded as a racist group regardless of its actions. One can not have it both ways.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:30 AM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
Quote:
. Good try trying to justify racism. I am suremost of the anti-hispanic posters on here would agree with you though.
I hope this is not meant to include all the anti-illegal posters here as well.

My 2 cents on the article......

The sign did say "Hispanics" , not illegals. And while it is certainly her legal right to display the sign, I do question whether it is the ethical thing to do and does it help or hinder the fight against illegal immigration ?

Pretty much the same arguement can be made against those that justify " birthright citizenship" using the 14th amendment,knowing full well that the purpose of the 14th was to guarantee full rights to freed slaves. It may be legal,but is it ethical ?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I can easily see how this happens. There were many small Cities in the US that were mostly Caucasion until the mass illegal immigrations of the last 40 years. These people hadn't heard a word of Spanish until then and they in a short period of time the towns were filled with Spanish speaking Illegals. To the people of the towns all Spanish speaking people were Illegal Aliens and they developed a harsh attitude towards them.
In reality it was a cultural clash and some of the new comers were probably Americans but since the majority were Illegal Aliens with a clashing culture to what existed it got ugly fast. It could be called ignorance but when a new, uninvited culture is forced upon the majority of the citizens I can see how this hatred exists.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Some racists carry signs that demand "Hispanics Keep Out". Other racists carry signs that demand "Whites go Back To Europe". Racists are racists, their views are based on race, and racism is 'what they do'.

Meanwhile, what does this have to do with illegal immigration? An illegal immigrant is one who illegally enters the US, not a member of a particular race.

Most serial killers are White Males.....but one can be opposed to serial murder, without hating White Males...and serial murder isn't seen as a 'White' issue.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Self Policing?

Does any race "self-police" themselves? Do asian and white people go next door asking if they are legal? If they are running a crime business? I doubt it.

People have their own lives, and I highly doubt any of you would turn in a relative or a good friend if you found out they were illegal. You can blog about it and post it here on the internet, but IRL I don't believe it.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
As for this old-lady, she is that, old. What's bad is that there are obviously English Speaking American Hispanics in her neighborhood that she is offending and alienating. It shows the era that she came from, my white grandparents gave my white father a very hard time for marrying a mexican woman...it shows the ignorance of the era, is all.

It's always an old white person who put signs like this up, I rarely hear about any other race being so overtly racist. On one hand I appreciate her honesty, on the other I fear that her children will carry such a burden of ignorance and propagate it.

Last edited by Mach50; 07-26-2009 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-26-2009, 12:25 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
Quote:
Do you really believe that people will stop blaming hispanics even if they were hardcore anti-illegal zealots? Are hispanic Americans to blame for illegal immigrants coming over here? That woman's sign didn't say illegals keep out, it said all hispanics keep out. To try to somehow justify the reasons for that sign is justifying racism.

No. It is the fault of AMERICANS WHO HIRED ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TO PAD THEIR WALLETS AND WHO CHOOSE TO BREAK THE LAWS OF THEIR COUNTRY. The amount of people on this forum who absolve their fellow Americans in effort to make the problem "them" and not "us" is amazing. IT IS AMERICA'S FAULT THEY ARE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE! IF THEY HAD NOT BEEN HIRED OUT OF AMERICAN GREED, THEY WOULD NOT BE HERE. What about that is so hard to understand?

I also live in Texas. I should put out a sign that says "Rednecks and Hicks and N***** GET OUT!" It's just my right as an American citizen right? MAKES IT TOTALLY OKAY!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
No. It is the fault of AMERICANS WHO HIRED ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TO PAD THEIR WALLETS AND WHO CHOOSE TO BREAK THE LAWS OF THEIR COUNTRY. The amount of people on this forum who absolve their fellow Americans in effort to make the problem "them" and not "us" is amazing. IT IS AMERICA'S FAULT THEY ARE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE! IF THEY HAD NOT BEEN HIRED OUT OF AMERICAN GREED, THEY WOULD NOT BE HERE. What about that is so hard to understand?

I also live in Texas. I should put out a sign that says "Rednecks and Hicks and N***** GET OUT!" It's just my right as an American citizen right? MAKES IT TOTALLY OKAY!
Really? Then as soon as their job disappears they should leave since that is the only thing they came here for, right? A fair number of them seem to be hanging around in spite of jobs drying up because of the economic downturn. Also, what 'job' is some woman who has an anchor baby looking for?

Feel free to put whatever sign you want on your lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration