U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2010, 02:58 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
21 posts, read 22,446 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

The LA Times January 16,2010

This is a quote my friends;

"The day after an earthquake plunged Haiti into ruin and despair, the Obama administration suspended the deportation of Haitian illegal immigrants. This was sensible as well as compassionate, as Haiti obviously is in no position to repatriate 100,000 returning migrants. But halting deportations is not enough, so we applaud the administration's decision Friday to grant temporary protected status to Haitians. Doing so will permit them to stay and work in the U.S. for a limited period of 12 to 18 months..."


http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-haitians16-2010jan16,0,1452288.story


We are now going to be torn between our Laws and our hearts.

My heart goes out to those in Haiti, BUT I find this move by Our Government to be a disgusting push towards Amnesty.

The Haitians already here Illegally, were not affected to the extent of making them Citizens.

How does that help the people actually in Haiti?

It does not!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
I agree they shouldn't be deported until the country stabilizes somewhat but staying and working in the U.S. temporarily? What does that mean? If they are going to be allowed to roam freely around our country and take American jobs then I am opposed to that. They should be put on some kind of jail work program where they are monitored and returned to detention at night. As soon as Haiti has life sustaining facilities re-established then they should be deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
So you have a problem with them working and pay taxes while they wait for their country to be rebuilt?

Quote:
The Haitians already here Illegally, were not affected to the extent of making them Citizens.

How does that help the people actually in Haiti?
They probably have family back in Haiti they can help support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 08:48 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I agree they shouldn't be deported until the country stabilizes somewhat but staying and working in the U.S. temporarily? What does that mean? If they are going to be allowed to roam freely around our country and take American jobs then I am opposed to that. They should be put on some kind of jail work program where they are monitored and returned to detention at night. As soon as Haiti has life sustaining facilities re-established then they should be deported.
How are they going to identify these 100,000 Haitian illegal immigrants in the first place? I am sure they are not going to voluntarily sign up for an unrealistic program( most of the solutions from the anti-immigrant crowd are unrealistic anyway) like that.

Second of all, are you willing to pay and support all the 100,000 illegal immigrants being housed, food provided for and everything in this detention program you are proposing? How much is it going to cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 09:03 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
How are they going to identify these 100,000 Haitian illegal immigrants in the first place? I am sure they are not going to voluntarily sign up for an unrealistic program( most of the solutions from the anti-immigrant crowd are unrealistic anyway) like that.

Second of all, are you willing to pay and support all the 100,000 illegal immigrants being housed, food provided for and everything in this detention program you are proposing? How much is it going to cost?
How does our government know that the number of Haitians here illegally is 100,000 unless they are already in detention? There would be no support involved if they are in the work program that I proposed. They would be paying for their own upkeep. Besides paying for the incarceration of law breakers is a necessary evil as in our own home grown criminals.

Who is anti-immigrant by the way? Does the spin from the pro-illegal crowd ever stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Maryland
2,653 posts, read 4,099,951 times
Reputation: 2320
The Haitians already here Illegally, were not affected to the extent of making them Citizens.

How do you know who's here illegally?? Are you checking cards? Nope. When Clinton was prez who told the Haitians they couldn't come here. But, the border was open for everyone else. If we are gonna close the border, then close to EVERYONE!! I don't know what should happen. But, something should. Everyone, there are several races of people here illegally!! BTW, it's not only brown people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
How does our government know that the number of Haitians here illegally is 100,000 unless they are already in detention? There would be no support involved if they are in the work program that I proposed. They would be paying for their own upkeep. Besides paying for the incarceration of law breakers is a necessary evil as in our own home grown criminals.

Who is anti-immigrant by the way? Does the spin from the pro-illegal crowd ever stop?
So the 12 million illegal immigrants here are in detention too right? Because according to you, that is the only way the government can determine the number of illegal immigrants here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
So the 12 million illegal immigrants here are in detention too right? Because according to you, that is the only way the government can determine the number of illegal immigrants here.
I would just like to know how they arrived at that figure for Haitians. One of the reasons we know approximately how many are here from south of our border is because of the observations of the Border Patrol on our southern border. How did they gauge the number of Haitians here illegally? I will be williing to bet that most of them are already in detention and that is how they know the number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 AM
 
Location: The South
3,629 posts, read 5,014,950 times
Reputation: 2491
Keep in mind some were here legally on work or studen visas. It makes no sense to send people back into a disaster. Although it says temporary, realistically, this is forever. It's going to take several generations to rebuild Haiti.

Someone above also mentioned that many of these workers send money back to relatives so at least some would have resources.

This is a no-win situation for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 09:41 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
Reputation: 369
<<Doing so will permit them to stay and work in the U.S. >>

Just where are they supposed to get all these jobs, or are they going to be eligible for unemployment? Just what we need. More people vying for jobds.

I relize they can't be sent back to Haiti now, but they should remain illegal. Just don't deport them at this time. I can almost guarantee you that at the end of the 12-18 months we'll be told "They've put down roots, and have families here, so we can't deport them now." I guess we'd better pray Mexico doen't have an earthquake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top