Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of multiple immigrant families occupying a single household?
More Americans should do this! 2 6.90%
Live and let live 7 24.14%
One household should be occupied by one family! 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times

Advertisements

oh and most studies that deal with issues like drugs, prostitution, illegal immigration, get a certificate of confidentiality (COC).

that means that they wont have to disclose any information they have on said users, illegals, etc to the police or authorities. it ensures that the info gathered is truthful and reliable. this is made clear to the participant in the consent process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I never stated that I have verifiable proof. You accused me of exaggerating, and I responded. Given that you have nothing credible to refute my assertion, I stand by my comments, until proven wrong.

It's an exaggeration. Plain and simple. We can move on now. You are wrong. Again, if you have NO direct proof or even correlative proof...you can't simply say things and imply it's fact.

I’m curious. How did your friend gain the trust of illegal aliens to disclose their status; and how many illegals were included in his/her academic work?

Well, seeing how polls and surveys are anon. it's not too hard. Sample sizes usually are about a few hundred people (again depending on the paper). Again, not his paper, since he is more focused on labor issues...but papers he had to read for his classes.

Also, would you care to share your source for the “insignificance” of drop houses?

Well, seeing how there are roughly 8-10 million illegal immigrants...the majority have lived here more than 5 years. The median income is above 40k a year...not to mention that a majority are renters. So it's a pretty safe bet. I'm not a gambling man, but I'd wager that it's def. not a significant amount of people living in such places.
[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
With the current housing market I would rather take a few properties occupied by multiple families than vacant and condemned properties and all the foreclosures. This probably differs from place to place but Minneapolis and St. Paul could afford to increase their density quite a bit currently.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
With the current housing market I would rather take a few properties occupied by multiple families than vacant and condemned properties and all the foreclosures. This probably differs from place to place but Minneapolis and St. Paul could afford to increase their density quite a bit currently.
Hell, even in the pristine (now barren) suburbs of Los Angeles we need the density.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
A town about 50 miles from passed laws. Landlords needed to verify legal status of their tennants or face hefty fines. I think that it was an excellent law. Along with that he also passed laws requiring all businesses to verify employee legal status. Yet another good law. The aclu nearly bankrupted Hazelton and I am not sure if it has been resolved as yet. All the same it is a giant step in the right direction.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
didnt this have an adverse effect on the economy and rental market of the town? i thought thats what i read. but i can very well be mistaking that for what you just brought up about the legal process nearly bankrupting the town. ill check on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A town about 50 miles from passed laws. Landlords needed to verify legal status of their tennants or face hefty fines. I think that it was an excellent law. Along with that he also passed laws requiring all businesses to verify employee legal status. Yet another good law. The aclu nearly bankrupted Hazelton and I am not sure if it has been resolved as yet. All the same it is a giant step in the right direction.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
didnt this have an adverse effect on the economy and rental market of the town? i thought thats what i read. but i can very well be mistaking that for what you just brought up about the legal process nearly bankrupting the town. ill check on that.
Some made the claim. A good many illegals left the area. The vacuum was filled in a hurry. The funny part was that the hispanic community claimed that very few of them were illegals and yet people were seen leaving in the middle of the night. Less cars parked at certain houses etc.
I liked the laws and found them to be reasonable. Everyone had to produce proof of status that rented. Not just hispanics or Russians etc.
Not so different than having to show ID before buying beer.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Why? 4,000 sq. ft is a HUGE space. If I'm not mistaken, you posted you live in Rancho Belago (Moreno Valley). It's an upscale, quiet neighborhood that is in the epicenter of the great recession. Pooling their resources is not a bad thing. I'd much rather live next to a "crowded" house (by your standards) than a house that is completely empty. The noise thing is a different story. If it's that bad, maybe talk to them. However, the rest is their decision that really doesn't affect you (there is tons of parking and most likely nobody would ever know in the coffee bland, ticky tacky, pre fab, subdivisions that is Rancho Belago).

If you know that much you also know we own 3 other homes, don't you. And the one in Rancho Belago, has an over 15,780 sq fot lot, don't consider that a small lot. Where do you live. We also own a home in CANYON CREST HILLS, AND LAGUNA, problem with those areas to. I find that even in the elite areas, there are still problems believe me. The other 2 we rent out right now, but that is none of your business anyways. Whoops i forgot one, PALOS VERDES ESTATES, my siblings and i also own that home. And it just sold. QUITE A NICE PROFIT on that one.

Last edited by california-jewel; 02-03-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Why? 4,000 sq. ft is a HUGE space. If I'm not mistaken, you posted you live in Rancho Belago (Moreno Valley). It's an upscale, quiet neighborhood that is in the epicenter of the great recession. Pooling their resources is not a bad thing. I'd much rather live next to a "crowded" house (by your standards) than a house that is completely empty. The noise thing is a different story. If it's that bad, maybe talk to them. However, the rest is their decision that really doesn't affect you (there is tons of parking and most likely nobody would ever know in the coffee bland, ticky tacky, pre fab, subdivisions that is Rancho Belago).

Where do you live in L.A.!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I never stated that I have verifiable proof. You accused me of exaggerating, and I responded. Given that you have nothing credible to refute my assertion, I stand by my comments, until proven wrong.

I’m curious. How did your friend gain the trust of illegal aliens to disclose their status; and how many illegals were included in his/her academic work?

Also, would you care to share your source for the “insignificance” of drop houses?

I agree with you. Actual proof, no speculation. Proof please!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Where do you live in L.A.!
the one lives in/near South Central LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration