Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Does anyone really believe that much of this is due to "legal" immigration by Hispanics? If so, I have a lake to sell you out in the Sahara Desert.

(CBS/AP) Hispanics accounted for half the 2.9 million U.S. population growth from 2003 to 2004 and now constitute one-seventh of all people in the United States.

A Census Bureau report issued Thursday said that trend probably will continue because of immigration and a Hispanic birth rate outstripping non-Hispanic blacks and whites.

The agency estimated there are 41.3 million Hispanics in the U.S. The bureau does not ask about legal status so its numbers are intended to include everyone.

The population growth for Asians ran a close second. Increases in both groups are due LARGELY TO IMMIGRATION, but also higher birth rates, said Lewis W. Goodman, an American University expert on U.S.-Latin American relations.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/09/national/main700582.shtml

Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Do you have an issue with the hispanic population growing? Sounds like it.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Do you have an issue with the hispanic population growing? Sounds like it.
No, I have a problem with it mostly growing due to illegal immigraton, don't you?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, I have a problem with it mostly growing due to illegal immigraton, don't you?
Then talk about the illegal immigration population increasing. Do not lump everybody there trying to open flaming threads to incite ethnocentrism.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Then talk about the illegal immigration population increasing. Do not lump everybody there trying to open flaming threads to incite ethnocentrism.
Did you not read the article I posted? It says that the Hispanic population is increasing mostly through immigration. The immigration coming from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries is mostly happening illegally. Most of the births from Hispanic mothers in Parkland Hospital alone are from those here illegally.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
i would expect some reliable sources if your assertion is that the immigration coming from south of the border is mostly comprised of illegals...

otherwise its a pretty specious argument. its a jump to conclusions.
Quote:
Did you not read the article I posted? It says that the Hispanic population is increasing mostly through immigration. The immigration coming from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries is mostly happening illegally. Most of the births from Hispanic mothers in Parkland Hospital alone are from those here illegally.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:09 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i would expect some reliable sources if your assertion is that the immigration coming from south of the border is mostly comprised of illegals...

Indeed it is true. Notice, this was reported in the uber pro-illegal WaPo, and the study was conducted by the equally biased Pew Hispanic Center. This is a 2005 study. I hate to even contemplate our current stats.

This is also a glaring illustration of our dire need for immigration enforcement, as opposed to immigration reform. We were already granting entry to more legal immigrants than all other countries combined. Imagine that, coupled with an even larger number entering illegally. We can’t allow this to continue.

Quote:
More immigrants came to the United States illegally from 2000 through 2004 than the number who were granted legal status in those years, according to a study released yesterday that attributed much of the historic shift to visa slowdowns since 2001 and to the nation's strong job market before that.

Pew demographer Jeffrey S. Passel said he believes this was the first time in the nation's history that new illegal arrivals outnumbered new legal immigrants. "The presence of the undocumented makes a big difference," he said. "This is what differentiates this from 100 years ago. There really wasn't anything like what we call illegal immigration today."
Report Details Growth in Illegal Migration - washingtonpost.com

Old 02-02-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Indeed it is true. Notice, this was reported in the uber pro-illegal WaPo, and the study was conducted by the equally biased Pew Hispanic Center. This is a 2005 study. I hate to even contemplate our current stats.

This is also a glaring illustration of our dire need for immigration enforcement, as opposed to immigration reform. We were already granting entry to more legal immigrants than all other countries combined. Imagine that, coupled with an even larger number entering illegally. We can’t allow this to continue.

Report Details Growth in Illegal Migration - washingtonpost.com
Thanks for bringing the facts to the table with a link, Benicar. I was going to do it myself but you saved me the trouble.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Thanks for bringing the facts to the table with a link, Benicar. I was going to do it myself but you saved me the trouble.
You're welcome.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

Also...

Steven A. Camarota, "5 Million Illegal Immigrants: An Analysis of New INS Numbers," Immigration Review #28 (Center for Immigration Studies, Spring 1997).
On February 7, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) released its latest estimate for the size and growth of the illegal alien population in the United States, updating its 1994 report...
There were 170,000 new overstayers each year between 1982-1992 and 181,000 between 1992-1996. The number of new illegals who joined the illegal population by Entering Without Inspection (EWI) was 250,000 from 1982 to 1988 and 242,000 from 1988 to 1996.
The INS estimates that 41 percent of the illegal population are overstayers and 59 percent are EWIs. This is a change from the estimated 50-50 split in its previous study.
The illegal population is 54 percent Mexican.

And...

Proportion of illegals from countries other than Mexico

Of course, not all illegal aliens come from Mexico. In 1997, the illegal alien population was 54 percent Mexican.24 The illegal alien population is currently 70 percent Mexican, with 30 percent coming from other countries.24 Latin America, including Mexico, is the source of 90 percent of illegal aliens entering into the United States.26 A 2004 Fox News article stated that "it is not just Mexicans who are flooding into our border states anymore. Along with the Nicaraguans, Brazilians, Venezuelans, Ecuadorians, and Chileans, agents of the Border Patrol now encounter Chinese, Pakistanis, and Indians. Nationals of countries other than Mexico are known, in Border Patrol parlance, as 'OTMs'" - Other Than Mexicans.10,37
Time Magazine reports that "from October 1 of last year [2003] until August 25, the Border Patrol estimates that it apprehended 55,890 OTMs".22 In November, 2006, the U.S. House Committee on Homeland Security reported that based on U.S. Border Patrol statistics there were 30,147 OTMs apprehended in FY2003, 44,614 in FY2004, 165,178 in FY2005, and 108,025 in FY2006. Most of them were apprehended along the U.S. Southwest border.37 These numbers represent a distinct undercount since the Border Patrol routinely sanitizes and underreports numbers of illegals.7, 18 It is therefore reasonable to assume that Other Than Mexicans account for at least several hundred thousand illegal entries annually.
Visa overstays contribute to illegal alien numbers

Numbers of illegal aliens in the U.S. by Fred Elbel - THE AMERICAN RESISTANCE FOUNDATION - Information on immigration counters -

Remember these are older statistics, it has only grown.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration