Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post

I was stopped once because I fit the description of a bank robber, who just robbed a bank two blocks from where I was at the time. Ten minutes. Information and ID provided. Were my rights violated?

That is a good point. No they wren't violated. However it is a little different with a individual case as that from assuming someone is Mexican, or illegal Mexican.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
anybody who isn't breaking the law isn't going to have any trouble providing ID. what we are saying is that it isn't a big deal to simply show identification.....

problem solved.
It's not a matter of just showing ID. I guarantee illegal immigrants if they wanted could get their hands, and I guarantee upon this the black market for fake ID's is booming.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 PM

968 posts, read 2,623,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
anybody who isn't breaking the law isn't going to have any trouble providing ID. what we are saying is that it isn't a big deal to simply show identification.....

problem solved.
because Identification doesn't prove you're a US Citizen, a person here on a living visa can get an ID, drivers license and still have an expired visa. a birth certificate or passport show whether you're an american citizen or not. do you carry one of those?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
It's not a matter of just showing ID. I guarantee illegal immigrants if they wanted could get their hands, and I guarantee upon this the black market for fake ID's is booming.
Then they would get away with it when stopped. The laws says that the police must accept that as ID.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:41 PM

968 posts, read 2,623,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Then they would get away with it when stopped. The laws says that the police must accept that as ID.
can you provide a link to where it says that in the law? i have found no place in the law where it speficies that a state ID or even social security card provides proper citizenship status.

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I was stopped once because I fit the description of a bank robber, who just robbed a bank two blocks from where I was at the time. Ten minutes. Information and ID provided. Were my rights violated?
The ID you provided was probably your driver's license. Now, imagine if that didn't suffice, and you were required to carry your birth certificate/other paper work AT ALL TIMES. And not doing so would have you detained until the issue can be resolved.

To top it off, unlike your situation, this isn't going to be a one time issue, but an ongoing one, EVERY TIME you step out of the house, you have a chance of being stopped on "reasonable suspicion".

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
So in other words, as I've said before, the law will render ineffective, besides the fact it's an abortion to us Constitutionalists.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
can you provide a link to where it says that in the law? i have found no place in the law where it speficies that a state ID or even social security card provides proper citizenship status.
The bottom of page 1 says this:
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070h.pdf

A PERSON IS PRESUMED TO NOT BE AN ALIEN WHO IS
UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IF THE PERSON PROVIDES TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR AGENCY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. A VALID ARIZONA DRIVER LICENSE.
2. A VALID ARIZONA NONOPERATING IDENTIFICATION LICENSE.
3. A VALID TRIBAL ENROLLMENT CARD OR OTHER FORM OF TRIBAL IDENTIFICATION.
4. IF THE ENTITY REQUIRES PROOF OF LEGAL PRESENCE IN THE UNITED STATES BEFORE ISSUANCE, ANY VALID UNITED STATES FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED IDENTIFICATION.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070h.pdf

Quote:
A PERSON IS PRESUMED TO NOT BE AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IF THE PERSON PROVIDES TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR AGENCY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. A VALID ARIZONA DRIVER LICENSE.
4. IF THE ENTITY REQUIRES PROOF OF LEGAL PRESENCE IN THE UNITED STATES BEFORE ISSUANCE, ANY VALID UNITED STATES FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED IDENTIFICATION.
Green Card, which all legal workers are required to carry...right now.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
So in other words, as I've said before, the law will render ineffective, besides the fact it's an abortion to us Constitutionalists.
What it means is that some will be caught and some will get away with it - just like with all of our laws. Do you want to scrap the rest too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration