Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 05:35 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times

Advertisements

private companies are free to contribute and provide anything they want to their employees pension fund..
its when states and local governments, like Illinois, who dont have a pot to pee in, and have been stealing money from the pension funds for Madigans and his blow hards pet projects over the years, thats what infuriates so many residents..
I wouldn't care if Comm Ed or any other "private" employer was paying you 500k per year in pension, as long as me as a taxpayer isnt involved in funding it..
I guess using Comm Ed as an example is sort of a grey area, since residents indirectly do fund their pension plan ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 05:49 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Huh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
I’m comparing the states contribution to retirement to the that of a private sector employer. My former employer contributed far more on my behalf than what the state does. 6.2% for social security, dollar for dollar match up to 6% of your income (including overtime), plus a fully funded (by Com Ed) defined benefit pension. Unreduced at age 57, 3% reduction for every year you took it earlier than 57 (had to be 50 years old). A lineman/crewleader/troubleman retiring today at 57 with 35 years of service gets $87000 a year! We have a cola provision to but it isn’t automatic, Plus the 401k, retiree medical, etc.
You know better than I that many employers in the city take much better care of the here employees than com ed does. The states contribution (which all you right wingers think is to generous) doesn’t even come close to what major employers contribute to there own employees. Oh, and my pension was based on my high 3 years out of last 10, better than the states high 4 years. So your wrong on that too!

Aren't you just agreeing with me that there is NO WAY to sustain pensions that Illinois promises to pay out given the level of funding that is earmarked to support the doomed system?

It's not about it be "too generous" it's simply a fiction that they can pay out unlimited benefits when they've skipped putting money into the system.

SS is a TAX, there is no concept of it being portable or "growing" like an investment, it is frankly amazing that you don't understand the fundamental differences between it and the other sorts of true deferred compensation plans that you've richly been lucky enough to be part of...

Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 PM

997 posts, read 850,844 times
No I don’t agree with you. The only thing I’m comparing is percentages (what employers pay into). And the state doesn’t pay much, it certainly isn’t generous (8.3%). It’s sustainable if the don’t skip paying it. The IMRF proves a defined benefit is sustainable.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 PM

451 posts, read 365,539 times
Quote:
No I don’t agree with you. The only thing I’m comparing is percentages (what employers pay into). And the state doesn’t pay much, it certainly isn’t generous (8.3%). It’s sustainable if the don’t skip paying it. The IMRF proves a defined benefit is sustainable.
Yeah but yearly 3% COL adjustment is killer

Old 09-19-2018, 09:23 PM

605 posts, read 712,378 times
Quote:
I’m comparing the states contribution to retirement to the that of a private sector employer. My former employer contributed far more on my behalf than what the state does. 6.2% for social security, dollar for dollar match up to 6% of your income (including overtime), plus a fully funded (by Com Ed) defined benefit pension. Unreduced at age 57, 3% reduction for every year you took it earlier than 57 (had to be 50 years old). A lineman/crewleader/troubleman retiring today at 57 with 35 years of service gets $87000 a year! We have a cola provision to but it isn’t automatic, Plus the 401k, retiree medical, etc.
You know better than I that many employers in the city take much better care of the here employees than com ed does. The states contribution (which all you right wingers think is to generous) doesn’t even come close to what major employers contribute to there own employees. Oh, and my pension was based on my high 3 years out of last 10, better than the states high 4 years. So your wrong on that too!
This may have been your experience at a "private sector" company (I don't call the monopoly utilities private sector), but that is NOT what the typical private sector companies offer. The days of 6% 401K match are LOOONG over. We haven't had that in 15-20 years. Neither my DH nor I receive ANY match to our 401Ks from our employers. Nothing. Nada. And my employer only contributes 25% of MY premium towards my health insurance. If others in my family were to be added to my policy, my company would contribute nothing. My DH's isn't much better, so we each are insured individually through our own respective companies. But you are dreaming if you think that private sector retirement packages are even REMOTELY close to what the government unions (and utility companies) offer.

We have to literally save everything we possibly can on our own and pray we make good investments if we plan to retire at all. Gov union employees are so out of touch with REALITY it makes me CRAZY.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:32 AM

997 posts, read 850,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
private companies are free to contribute and provide anything they want to their employees pension fund..
its when states and local governments, like Illinois, who dont have a pot to pee in, and have been stealing money from the pension funds for Madigans and his blow hards pet projects over the years, thats what infuriates so many residents..
I wouldn't care if Comm Ed or any other "private" employer was paying you 500k per year in pension, as long as me as a taxpayer isnt involved in funding it..
I guess using Comm Ed as an example is sort of a grey area, since residents indirectly do fund their pension plan ..
Give me your number, what should the state contribute?
Do you honestly believe that the states current 8.3% is to generous? Yes, they are in a huge hole because they didn’t even contribute that paltry sum in years past and compound interest is killing them (especially the last 3 years with Rauner).

Old 09-20-2018, 09:58 AM

illinois doesnt have 2 nickles to rub together right now, so there should be ZERO contributions made by the state..
Sorry, but state funded pensions in Illinois have to go away; state workers should deal with Social Security retirement benefits just like most of the country now does..

Old 09-20-2018, 11:39 AM

here's another sad story..

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...t-in-illinois/

Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Well it is the IPI...most of their stories are sad more because they are incredibly partisan and (typically) poorly-written.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 PM

so, are you saying their facts are made up?

sometimes the truth is a bitter pill to swallow..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois