Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

This post is over four years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 50,613 times
Stay as far away from Rockford as you can. They have the fastest growing crime rate for any city their size in Illinois. Gangs have taken over the city. All you have to do is look at the homes for sale there. 10 room large at one time magnificant homes now selling for $140K.. Rockford used to be a very fine city 30 years ago. But if you have to take a job there, commute at least 20 miles away. Just being honest.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 50,613 times
I'm looking for a town between 5-60K to move to in Illinois. Can someone suggest a town that has a lower crime rate, but is large enough to go get my Dunkin Donuts coffee lol and have a bit of culture and is pretty. Even areas around such a town would be ok if home prices are not crazy. I do not count any suburb. The taxes are ridiculous in any worthwhile suburb. I enjoy hiking and some culture but also would like my privacy. Sounds like a lot. But there must be some place like that in Illinois. And please do not send me down south. I know land is cheaper there but not interested in anything south of say.. Effingham. Thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 10:26 PM

115 posts, read 231,556 times
Anymore I think Illinois just sucks. Most of the towns have high crime and high unemployment and if they are small without much crime there are no jobs or services and you have to drive all over heck and back to work.

Maybe Champaign/Urbana is your place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagun61 View Post
I'm looking for a town between 5-60K to move to in Illinois. Can someone suggest a town that has a lower crime rate, but is large enough to go get my Dunkin Donuts coffee lol and have a bit of culture and is pretty. Even areas around such a town would be ok if home prices are not crazy. I do not count any suburb. The taxes are ridiculous in any worthwhile suburb. I enjoy hiking and some culture but also would like my privacy. Sounds like a lot. But there must be some place like that in Illinois. And please do not send me down south. I know land is cheaper there but not interested in anything south of say.. Effingham. Thanks

Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 PM

7 posts, read 19,094 times
Quote:
I recommend starting a new topic with your question; I'm interested in the answer as well (although I'd prefer to move farther north)...

Also, why is this thread still open? I'm sure the OP is not still debating this decision after four years...

Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 AM

5 posts, read 28,115 times
Rockford is only for poor people. I came here because I am a single mother. I finally got a decent job. still got my kids at home though. cannot move out. Waiting for my credit to be restored. Rockford has too many ex cons living in it. Sex offenders everywhere. People only want to move out of Rockford once they get stuck here. Most people are uneducated or too old to move out. It is a cheap place for single mothers, or other poor people. Many more people are coming here because it is a cheap place to live. Others come here for the drugs or crime. Only come to Rockford if you have to. Once you get enough money try to move away. Anything is better than this place.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Peoria has Dunkin Donuts. If you consider Broadway shows, symphony, juried art fairs or ballet or opera cultural, Peoria has it too. There are several nearby communities that should fit your needs: Peoria Heights, Dunlap, Washington, Morton, Germantown Hills, Metamora or Eureka. You can be isolated and probably find house prices that are not crazy. The farther you are from ay large community the lower the COL is. If you go farther out you find towns like Astoria or Smitfield, Delavan, Oakford, Havana and even Lincoln where you can buy a nice house for under $75K. The biggest problem is you will not find them in a fancy real estate book. If you are over 65 there are some nice tax breaks for seniors. ,

Quote:

Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 PM

41 posts, read 61,470 times
Rockford made the Forbes list of ninth most dangerous city for it's size. And after living here for a few years and being carjacked at gunpoint, I would have to say this is not a safe city. There are still some jobs here and some great, hard-working people, but otherwise it is a gritty, difficult, decaying town that has been on the decline for the last 40 years and is not on the way up. It has some of the lowest college education rates of cities in Illinois and that is holding it back, both economically and socially.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 13,064 times
Default Low crime alternative to Rockford

Disclaimer, I am a Realtor specializing in property west of Rockford and a Lake Summerset resident....

Lake Summerset is 25 minutes away from the Metro Centre and about the same distance to Beloit, Monroe and Freeport. It has two very good school systems; Dakota and Durand. Association fees are $620 per year and you get to use the 285 acre lake and all the other community amenities. (campground)

It has a 24 hour manned gate and security team. No pass? no entry... very low crime, very quiet location, easy access to local communities and no street lights! All underground utilities, excellent water and sewer systems and a very well managed and staffed association.

In 40 plus years there has never been any special assessments for anything in the community. Sure it's cheesy and my real estate web address uses the phrase but it truly is IllinoisBestKeptSecret . Check it out, over 3,000 other members agree and just like every where else.. there are excellent values in the homes and vacant lots market.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 PM

245 posts, read 697,616 times
Anyone thinking of moving to Rockford, check out Rockford Scanner

They have a live feed of a police scanner. There is also an interesting crime map on their website. You can follow them on Facebook and get updates of things going on. Lately it seems to be shooting and armed robberies. Many are taking place in broad daylight which speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois