Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times

Advertisements

I love this store! 1, it is downtown and whenever I visit Indy, I am usually in the downtown area and 2, it is a relief to be able to shop at an upscale store and pay low sales tax (in northwest Indiana, the only Nordstrom stores are in Illinois so I have to go there and the taxes are high). I like the store on the northside as well, but do not frequent that mall that much unless I am visiting friends in Carmel or the northside (and usually we stay downtown). Also, I think that with this being so close to the superbowl, it will look bad to have a vacant store of that magnitude (unless it hopefully gets filled in time by a good anchor). This is relatively worrisome for downtown. What does everyone think about this?

And also, I read that some people want a Target to replace it because it is needed downtown. A downtown Target would be nice, but I don't think it would be a good fit for Circle Center. Not in that prime of real estate at least. What is everyone's opinions on this as Indy residents?

Here is a link to the article: Nordstrom to close Circle Centre store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Sounds like bad news for Indy. We have a bunch of Nordstroms in the Chicago area.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:08 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I would imagine that most of their clientele lives in ZionsvilleCarmelFishers ...

Old 05-26-2011, 02:12 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
It is not really that big of deal, at least not as big as some are saying. There is already speculation that Macy's is eying the spot, and I am hoping Target uses the opportunity to follow through on it's earlier desire to open up a spot downtown.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I would imagine that most of their clientele lives in ZionsvilleCarmelFishers ...
I would imagine that too (in addition to the wealthy suburban areas of northern Indy proper)...but it just seems, at least to me, that Indianapolis is competing with itself in some aspects. I know that every city has some type of "rivalries" in some sense, but in Indy, I notice a large "Downtown vs. North Side" divide..I know business have to follow their clients in order to stay successful, but I was led to believe that downtown Indy was prospering through gentrification and more affluent residents choosing to call downtown and surrounding neighborhoods home (as opposed to places like Carmel). I really hope another good anchor locates there. Macy's would do well (as long as it carried some higher end brands as well). Some people said Bloomingdale's but if Nordstrom can't make it there, then Bloomingdale's most likely would not want to take that risk. This news is actually somewhat upsetting. I hope the mall doesn't start to decline any more in their offerings!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:07 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Macy's is no replacement for Nordstrom.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I would imagine that too (in addition to the wealthy suburban areas of northern Indy proper)...but it just seems, at least to me, that Indianapolis is competing with itself in some aspects. I know that every city has some type of "rivalries" in some sense, but in Indy, I notice a large "Downtown vs. North Side" divide..I know business have to follow their clients in order to stay successful, but I was led to believe that downtown Indy was prospering through gentrification and more affluent residents choosing to call downtown and surrounding neighborhoods home (as opposed to places like Carmel). I really hope another good anchor locates there. Macy's would do well (as long as it carried some higher end brands as well). Some people said Bloomingdale's but if Nordstrom can't make it there, then Bloomingdale's most likely would not want to take that risk. This news is actually somewhat upsetting. I hope the mall doesn't start to decline any more in their offerings!
Well, I think the issue is likely just the economy. I read various sources that pointed out a negative personal savings rate that lasted for years. Nordstroms was pricy, way too pricy for me even. I used to be into high end fashion, but I found plenty of DNKY, Kenneth Cole, etc. for deep, deep discounts at the old Parisian store downtown and at the Lazarus in Castleton Sq. Mall. I never found any decent deals at Nordstroms, so I wouldn't ever shop there.

What is funny is that ever since the mall opened (I was at the grand opening), the rumor was that there were various incentives given by the city/state to companies connected with the mall. One of those rumors was that Nordstrom was given actual payments if they weren't able to meet certain profit margins. I have no idea if this ever was the case or not.

This is definitely a major blow to the downtown scene overall. The city is trying their best to make downtown look so great over a silly football game. Hell, if I were the city, I would seriously think about getting with Simon Property Group and try to possibly find a use for all that floor space during the Superbowl week. That is a lot of heated floor space that could be used for some sort of entertainment purpose.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Macy's is no replacement for Nordstrom.
If you read the article and comments on there, you would pray for a Macys to come...people are serious about wanting Target, Burlington Coat Factory, and other stores that definitely would not be an attractive sight. Of course, some people may be messing around but the length and detail of some of their justifications leads me to believe many were really serious!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:35 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Hell, if I were the city, I would seriously think about getting with Simon Property Group and try to possibly find a use for all that floor space during the Superbowl week. That is a lot of heated floor space that could be used for some sort of entertainment purpose.
This is a fantastic idea. It would maybe get more people shopping in the mall and it wouldn't look nearly as bad if activities were going on in there. Of course, I assume most of the possible activities have already been scheduled with the convention center and other places.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
It's (probably) the beginning of the end for Circle Centre. They're down to one anchor, Carson's has no other stores in central Indiana and their parent company isn't on the firmest footing. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go as well. Target would actually be a perfect fit. Downtown does not have many high end shoppers, most people consider Target to be quite desirable, and there isn't one anywhere nearby. It would also be a boost for downtown residential and tourism, giving people a place minutes away for day to day necessities and fashions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis