Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
would you guys be in favor of demolishing all the schools and building new state of the art schools so our children will have proper resources to let their minds grow?

i know that would probably mean raising taxes but i think it is definetly worth it.
i mean walk into a IPS school and look how deplorable the conditions the children there have to face. most of the schools dont have A/C! or HEATING!!
No. The existing buildings should be upgraded as best as they can, but it would be way too expensive to tear down all of these structures and build new. Besides, it will have little impact on educational performance. The greatest impediment to improving IPS is the parents.

The elimination of township schools will never happen. There's a reason they weren't consolidated into IPS when Unigov happened in 1970 -- it was a deal-breaker. Goldsmith had a better idea: Eliminate IPS and parcel it off to the townships.

As for the original question, I agree with the posters that a better mass transit system is key to a better Indianapolis metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 16,046 times
I'm not sure that the IPS shortcomings are the result of a lack of funding or resources. Take a look at how much IPS spends per student and compare that other cities around the US (or world) and you'd quickly realize that it's not a problem of resources.

IPS is trying to support an infrastructure originally developed for a much larger student population. It's time to close schools and consolidate. I am a hugh proponent of consolidating local township government, including schools. The IPS and township boundaries maps are dizzying....hard to imagine how any coherant group of individuals could develop such a map.

What I want most for my child is to be in a classroom surrounded by children whose parents want for them what I want for my child. It doesn't matter the race or socioeconomic status. It's parent involvement. I'm not convinced I could acheive that in IPS.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:46 PM

667 posts, read 2,888,672 times
I think Indy needs:

1. A better mass transit system. I love my cars but if we had one I would park mine and use them only sparingly.

2. A Costco on the Southside.

3. A shield that forms a dome over our city so that we can control the weather that is inside so none of us will have to move to another state for perfect weather.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 AM
REM

368 posts, read 995,260 times
A beach. Really tho we should have more cultural districts good ones not the crappy ones we have now, besides BR. I really do have a list of all the things indy should have to make it a top ranked city maby rivaling (sp) that of LA.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Well, after reading the newspaper this morning about the double homicide/suicide yesterday, with all the killings going on ... Mayor Ballard needs to harken back on his career as a Marine and get the Guard into the city to patrol the streets and stop the %$#@! killing!!! This is really awful and Indianapolis should be very concerned. I keep reading about the killings and nothing from the Mayor, the police higher ups ... honestly, I'm glad I don't live there.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
You are really not going to stop homicides with the amount of drugs and gang activity. Not to mention domestic violence. This morning not having a gun might have slowed the guy down. But when anger and a gun are involved and who knows if alcohol or drugs were in his system, no amount of police will stop that kind of person. Sometimes they even want the police to shoot them.

I think when you compare the number of homicides in Indy with the number committed with hand guns, there is your issue.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Well, after reading the newspaper this morning about the double homicide/suicide yesterday, with all the killings going on ... Mayor Ballard needs to harken back on his career as a Marine and get the Guard into the city to patrol the streets and stop the %$#@! killing!!! This is really awful and Indianapolis should be very concerned. I keep reading about the killings and nothing from the Mayor, the police higher ups ... honestly, I'm glad I don't live there.
Domergurl, your beloved Chicago has had its crime issues this year as well. And like Chicago, it's important to note that most of the city is safe. Indy is going through a tough period right now, and the seeds for this recent crime wave were sown before Ballard took office. Right now I trust that Ballard will work through this. If not, he'll be done after one term.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
A beach. Really tho we should have more cultural districts good ones not the crappy ones we have now, besides BR. I really do have a list of all the things indy should have to make it a top ranked city maby rivaling (sp) that of LA.
We should want to become as plastic as L.A.??

Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Domergurl, your beloved Chicago has had its crime issues this year as well. And like Chicago, it's important to note that most of the city is safe. Indy is going through a tough period right now, and the seeds for this recent crime wave were sown before Ballard took office. Right now I trust that Ballard will work through this. If not, he'll be done after one term.
Darling grmasterb ... Chicago is a major world class city and you can't point to Chicago and say "see, Indy isn't so bad" ... come on man. This killing spree going on in Indianapolis is a shameful blight on a city that isn't known for killings on the scale of Chicago, NYC or Philly.

Don't get all Chicago has more murders on me, duh. This doesn't make Indianapolis look good and your mayor better step up.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Darling grmasterb ... Chicago is a major world class city and you can't point to Chicago and say "see, Indy isn't so bad" ... come on man. This killing spree going on in Indianapolis is a shameful blight on a city that isn't known for killings on the scale of Chicago, NYC or Philly.

Don't get all Chicago has more murders on me, duh. This doesn't make Indianapolis look good.

15 murders in 22 days ...
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1802/807230411
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis