Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM

16 posts, read 26,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
On Tuesday I received my BA in Geography. I couldn't have been happier. Now reality is setting in. I have been having trouble finding any work. I have been turned down from so many jobs. Every job I've looked up, it requires at least 2 or 3 years experience, maybe more. Right now I'm looking for jobs in cartography, GIS, surveying, and other things related to geography. Finding a posting that takes a geography degree isn't the problem. Finding a job that doesn't require experience is next to impossible. I'm willing to relocate out of state. In fact, I want to. However, the problem is finding anything. I'm wondering what is going to happen to other college students right now.
look into oil companies in Houston, TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:56 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I have an interview Wednesday.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
You're not even a year out of school and you're complaining a lot about not getting a job. I graduated back in Dec 1992 in the Gen X era with a bad economy and job market and it took me 1 year to get a degree related job. It was ISO 9000 documentation of an investment casting plant, - a $10/hr 7 month internship. It got my career off to a start, and I got this job through a job posting in my college alumni office. Just a month ago a company contacted me as a potential candidate for an investment casting job in Indiana, but after the phone interview when they found out I had a felony I guess they discriminated against me for that.

If you can get a job with a BA then stick with that. If your career doesn't really need a Master's then don't get one. Getting a Master's simply because you were unemployed would probably just lead you to more student loan debt.

And I don't think Geography is a great career. I searched NATIONWIDE on monster and careerbuilder for "geographer" and there were NO LISTINGS! So I'd say you picked a bad career that there are almost NO Jobs for. So try doing any kind of office related, manager, or gov type job... Maybe you might never get work as a geographer.

It's a very tough job market out there. There are lots of listings for Mech Designer, Mech Eng, Tech Writer, Proengineer, Solidworks, and Autocad jobsw in Chicago but I've still been 4 years unemployed in Chicago now, and I have 5.79 years overall experience.

If you do decide to get a Master's you better look into the statistics of how many geographer jobs there are out there... How do you find geographer job listings, OP?
Quit crapping on his major. One of my sister's brother-in-laws makes $100-200k easily with his geography major as a site locator for Fortune 500 companies in the restaurant business. He gets to travel all around the country and has his expenses paid for. He loves his job. He's not stuck in some cubicle farm being micromanaged.

Last edited by move4ward; 02-25-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 03:40 PM

69 posts, read 176,343 times
Quote:
I have an interview Wednesday.
Congrats man hope you get the job.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Quote:
On Tuesday I received my BA in Geography. I couldn't have been happier. Now reality is setting in. I have been having trouble finding any work. I have been turned down from so many jobs. Every job I've looked up, it requires at least 2 or 3 years experience, maybe more. Right now I'm looking for jobs in cartography, GIS, surveying, and other things related to geography. Finding a posting that takes a geography degree isn't the problem. Finding a job that doesn't require experience is next to impossible. I'm willing to relocate out of state. In fact, I want to. However, the problem is finding anything. I'm wondering what is going to happen to other college students right now.

I graduated two years ago and it still is hard finding a job within my degree. Still trying too, I've been volunteering, seeking internships, doing temp jobs, I've worked as a waitress, etc. Right now I'm back in school getting my masters. If you're looking for any job, just find a job to make money and try to network, volunteer, find an internship that is night or weekends only.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
How did the interview go?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
How did the interview go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountingDude View Post
Congrats man hope you get the job.
I have been offered the job.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Congrats!

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Good news! Is it local and in your field? If so, you ended up a lot better off than many.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Good news! Is it local and in your field? If so, you ended up a lot better off than many.
It's not local, but it is in my field, and I have time get some things settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search