Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

One thing I found very disturbing is this trend. There are job postings for positions out in places like Colorado. I'm more than happy to relocate and I will do whatever I can. I'm not asking for anyone to pay for my relocation. However, some positions basically say in not so many words "Only locals should apply". I don't know why some companies are doing that for certain positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One thing I found very disturbing is this trend. There are job postings for positions out in places like Colorado. I'm more than happy to relocate and I will do whatever I can. I'm not asking for anyone to pay for my relocation. However, some positions basically say in not so many words "Only locals should apply". I don't know why some companies are doing that for certain positions.
It's pretty common even if they don't mention it in the job ad. I think there are a few reasons for this.

1) The new hire has a higher probability of resigning because they want to move back home because their miss their family, their spouse or kids miss family, they don't like the new state, the spouse cannot get a job in the new state, a family member has health issues in the other state, etc. This is IF the person is moving from their original home town.

2) It could take longer for the new hire to arrive for on-site interview vs local person due to scheduling of trips and high cost of airfare for last minute trips.

3) it could take longer for new hire to start the new job because they have to move long distance.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's pretty common even if they don't mention it in the job ad. I think there are a few reasons for this.

1) The new hire has a higher probability of resigning because they want to move back home because their miss their family, their spouse or kids miss family, they don't like the new state, the spouse cannot get a job in the new state, a family member has health issues in the other state, etc. This is IF the person is moving from their original home town.

2) It could take longer for the new hire to arrive for on-site interview vs local person due to scheduling of trips and high cost of airfare for last minute trips.

3) it could take longer for new hire to start the new job because they have to move long distance.
Maybe so, but at the end of the day, it does nothing for me. It hurts me in the end. I'm the one who is out of a job. The thing with me is this. I am basically a single man with nothing to lose if I leave. If I was offered a job in Denver, Seattle, Houston, Minneapolis, or any other city far away from Georgia, the only issue for me would be coming up with the money for airfare, and I'm sure I could count on someone to help me, if they knew I had a job lined up and it was going to something. If I was offered the job, I could just pack up my clothes, laptop, and a few other things, and be gone within a day.

I'm looking outside Georgia because no one here seems to want to hire me.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM

156 posts, read 318,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

The whole problem with employers thinking this way is as follows: You have the employment experts on here saying "if you want a job in today's economy, you need to be willing to move and blah blah blah" but then you have companies that basically refuse to hire anyone outside of the city they're located in. How exactly do we win in this situation if companies refuse to hire anyone outside of the local area? Me personally, I'm absolutely not going to move somewhere without a job lined up. Many apartment complexes require you to show them a paystub before they offer you a lease, and besides that, it's expensive to move and even if you have thousands of dollars saved up, it could take months to find a job. It's essentially a no win situation.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilworker1986 View Post
The whole problem with employers thinking this way is as follows: You have the employment experts on here saying "if you want a job in today's economy, you need to be willing to move and blah blah blah" but then you have companies that basically refuse to hire anyone outside of the city they're located in. How exactly do we win in this situation if companies refuse to hire anyone outside of the local area? Me personally, I'm absolutely not going to move somewhere without a job lined up. Many apartment complexes require you to show them a paystub before they offer you a lease, and besides that, it's expensive to move and even if you have thousands of dollars saved up, it could take months to find a job. It's essentially a no win situation.
I'm dealing with a similar situation. Jobs are at a premium where I'm at. It's almost like companies are saying "We don't want to hire anyone, so we look for reasons not to". I even tried to spring for something in Canada. I can't get a visa because I don't have experience. An education isn't enough. And some companies don't want to sponsor anyone.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:49 AM

As a side note, in my last semester of college, I was involved in this project: NeighborNewspapers.com - Sandy Springs creeks get university study

I even started a thread in the Atlanta forum about it, but it didn't go anywhere.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The rug was pulled underneath me regarding driving. My mother basically said "no more driving lessons until you get glasses". I'm moving my Peace Corps application. I haven't had any interview yet, and I was turned down for an office receptionist position via email.

The tutoring deal isn't working out very well. I haven't even been paid.

I've applied for a second internship, and even talked to the person over the phone about it. I haven't heard back from anyone ever since.
I have actually looked into the Peace Corps myself. It sounds really interesting. Good thing you are working on the application.

In the mean time, you really need to start applying everywhere, including fast food, to have some income coming in. I don't see why this is such a big deal for today's college graduates. I feel it is better to be working in a low paying, cruddy job than to be broke and asking the parents for money. Adults do what they need to do and today's college grads need to grow up and do what they need to do. I am a college graduate and did manage to get a low paying job in a factory to survive when I lost my job. I got the job via a temp agency. It sure beat being flat broke, but then again my parents don't help me with money.

I would look into applying at fast food restaurants, diners, factories, waiter/waitressing, farms, newspaper delivery, pizza delivery, barista, retail, temp agency, cab or bus driving. Schools typically need bus drivers all the time. There are also direct care professionals who work with the developmentally disabled. You could look into home caregiving for the elderly or taking a CNA classes. Don't worry if you take a low paying job, because it won't last forever anyway. Plus, having an income will allow you to work on your career goals because careers usually cost money.

I am sorry if I sound mean but I think it will make you feel a lot better if you have some job than no job at all.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
a college degree in anything but hard math and science (e.g. physics, chemistry, advanced biology) is as valuable as a high school kid saying that he wants to grow up to be a rapper, ball player, or some type of entertainer one day. it's a stupid idea and a dumb dream. sure 1 out of every 20,000 people statistically make it but if you tell that to 20,000 students paying real hard earned money, i bet they wouldn't do it. who told you to take a liberal arts degree? makes no sense.

you went to college and were fleeced. should have gone to a trade school instead where you could learn how to fix HVAC, or cars, or plumbing, or a real hands on skill that cannot be outsourced, and has REAL value. no one cares that you know where iraq is on the map, or how Shakespeare (here's looking at you, you useless english majors) uses whatever literary device in his obsolete work out of tune with the 21st century. you learned NOTHING USEFUL in terms of job skills. you need a phd to work in weather or anything related to earth science.

college = scam

either go learn a real skill or line up behind the other fashionable starbucks chugging english and political science or whatever gibberish majors to fill out an application for a target cashier.
It's obvious you shouldn't have even graduated high school because your grammar and punctuation is atrocious.

But this argument glosses over the enormous elephant in the room. Not everyone can be an engineer or computer scientist and not everyone can work in HVAC or fix cars. Most people in America are dead average and do not have the mind of an Einstein or Tesla. But these days, members of Generation Y are mocked for being average. Not every man is good with his hands enough to be a mechanic either. Millions more kids are going to college today because tens of thousands of factories have shutdown in the past few decades. Not too long ago, the average American worked at a big factory down the street from the day they graduated high school to the day they retired in their 50's or 60's.

Millions of average joes could have used those jobs. But those jobs are gone and will never come back. Average people do not benefit being lied to and told they are so "special" since birth and can be "anything they want to be". These average kids do not benefit from a dumbed down college curriculum and grade inflation and an even more shameful American grade school education. Illegal immigrants are flipping our burgers, cutting our lawns, fixing our roads and building new recreation centers at the local community college and we still fail to see how American-born youth are losing? Prepubescent children in China sew together your Air Jordans and people living in cubicle villages over there assemble your iphones and ipads and it is somehow entirely American kids fault for their own lack of opportunity.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM

206 posts, read 269,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
It's obvious you shouldn't have even graduated high school because your grammar and punctuation is atrocious.

But this argument glosses over the enormous elephant in the room. Not everyone can be an engineer or computer scientist and not everyone can work in HVAC or fix cars. Most people in America are dead average and do not have the mind of an Einstein or Tesla. But these days, members of Generation Y are mocked for being average. Not every man is good with his hands enough to be a mechanic either. Millions more kids are going to college today because tens of thousands of factories have shutdown in the past few decades. Not too long ago, the average American worked at a big factory down the street from the day they graduated high school to the day they retired in their 50's or 60's.

Millions of average joes could have used those jobs. But those jobs are gone and will never come back. Average people do not benefit being lied to and told they are so "special" since birth and can be "anything they want to be". These average kids do not benefit from a dumbed down college curriculum and grade inflation and an even more shameful American grade school education. Illegal immigrants are flipping our burgers, cutting our lawns, fixing our roads and building new recreation centers at the local community college and we still fail to see how American-born youth are losing? Prepubescent children in China sew together your Air Jordans and people living in cubicle villages over there assemble your iphones and ipads and it is somehow entirely American kids fault for their own lack of opportunity.
You speak as if you have to be a genius to make a middle class wage. I assure you this is not the case.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needanamethatisnttaken View Post
You speak as if you have to be a genius to make a middle class wage. I assure you this is not the case.
No, but herein lies the problem: every kid doesn't need to go to college. College was once only reserved for the rich and exceptionally intelligent. Is it any coincidence that rich kids and nerds who study math and science are the two main groups who are getting jobs immediately after graduating college today? Over half of recent college grads aren't using their degrees and are underemployed or unemployed. I'm not going to repost the link to the ubiquitous article. Maybe kids should stop being told to "go to college" if they don'y know what they want to do if they don't come from upper middle class or rich families. It wouldn't be so bad if college wasn't so expensive. But going to college has financially ruined millions of Americans. And maybe idiots on the internet should stop preaching that STEM fields are the end-all-be-all answer for an entire generation of underemployed young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search