Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
It's hard to believe just how many people still find themselves unemployed.

This is the slow time of year for jobs being posted, I hate the month of July
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,135 times
I've run into this before as well - people who don't even have a resume and/or have no clue how to write one. People who have no understanding of how to handle a job interview, etc. In some cases, they haven't had to look for work for so long they've forgotten those skills. In other cases, they just don't get it - I know some people like this: their resume's are disasters, and after a long time, they paid people to "fix" them when I would have done it for free... I'm not a pro, but I can at least get their resume to "presentable" without preying upon people who are out of work.

Of course, in the end, with 3 people out of work for every 1 job opening, it all becomes a numbers game and focuses more on connections and luck vs. anything else, which is pathetic.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
New way to job hunt.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
New way to job hunt.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

creative lol

Old 08-08-2013, 01:50 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Man, I'm going to have to start a separate thread about this last round of hiring I did.

Talk about a thin talent pool! Found a couple of good prospects and a few that I'll be saving for when I need a good laugh.
Seems people are firing off resumes for virtually any position they can find.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

They treat job search like playing the lottery

Old 08-09-2013, 09:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Some people even go so far as to send out "fake" job applications just to see if they get a response and solely to test whether their latest resumé is good. If they get a "hit" there's the absolute proof!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Some people even go so far as to send out "fake" job applications just to see if they get a response and solely to test whether their latest resumé is good. If they get a "hit" there's the absolute proof!
I have done this. I have even gone further and interviewed for positions that I had no intention of taking.

It is a great way to test your résumé format and polish your interview skills.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have done this. I have even gone further and interviewed for positions that I had no intention of taking.

It is a great way to test your résumé format and polish your interview skills.
Then don't EVER join in forum discussions which criticize employers for not responding to applicants or asking "stupid" questions during interviews.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Then don't EVER join in forum discussions which criticize employers for not responding to applicants or asking "stupid" questions during interviews.
That is a bit of a non-sequitur.

For the record, I think employers should send out rejection notices, although I do not feel obligated to send out customized rejection reasons.

Many employers do ask stupid questions. Interviewing is a skill, and it is rarely taught well. There are many, many bad interviewers out there. I would rare myself as only a B- in this category.

I don't really understand your animosity though. As a tip for helping to develop interview skills it is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search