Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:34 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
way too many people see job searches as a desperate scramble to find a job, any job, no matter what.

I mean, there are times when it is truly desperate and you need to find something to survive. that's different
Silly me.

I thought that was the only reason anyone searches for a job (desperate to make money and survive).

Shows what little I know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM

589 posts, read 695,796 times
As opposed to just letting your resume go through the faulty hiring filter? If you've been a jobseeker in the past five years you would know it's better to speak directly to hiring personnel and that job qualifications are highly inflated. You don't need to be a rocket-scientist to fill some of these positions and jobseekers will call you on it.

Apparently the woman did something right. You had "over 100 applicants" and you're fixated on her! I'm sure another manager will admire her "gall" and hire her.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Silly me.

I thought that was the only reason anyone searches for a job (desperate to make money and survive).

Shows what little I know...
well, there's a difference between "i need to find a job" and "i need to find a job RIGHT NOW or i can't make rent/buy food/etc"

and then there's also "i already have a job but i want a better one" or "i already have a job but i want to move", etc.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
well, there's a difference between "i need to find a job" and "i need to find a job RIGHT NOW or i can't make rent/buy food/etc"

and then there's also "i already have a job but i want a better one" or "i already have a job but i want to move", etc.
It's all one in the same.

Most people would quit their jobs and stop working today if money (and thus survival) weren't a factor.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
it's really not the same. you are talking about a completely different issue here. all i am saying is there is a difference between being broke and looking for a job and having enough money to live on for a bit (whether it's unemployment or savings) while you look for a job. in the latter situation, you can afford to be choosy. if you're really desperate, you really don't have a choice even if you don't think the job is right for you.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:19 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
As opposed to just letting your resume go through the faulty hiring filter? If you've been a jobseeker in the past five years you would know it's better to speak directly to hiring personnel and that job qualifications are highly inflated. You don't need to be a rocket-scientist to fill some of these positions and jobseekers will call you on it.

Apparently the woman did something right. You had "over 100 applicants" and you're fixated on her! I'm sure another manager will admire her "gall" and hire her.
Who cares if he's fixated on her. You should have noticed that there are plenty of things you can do that will cause you negative attention. I'm sure someone else will hire her, once she learns to be less obnoxious.
Obviously his qualifications weren't inflated since he found someone to meet them.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:

How much does fixation pay?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:46 PM

589 posts, read 695,796 times
jdm2008 and bobtn, you can be as snarky as you like but sending a follow up to a rejection letter is not obnoxious or negative when the alternative is your resume completely going to the trashbin. Or as they like to call it, "being kept on record for future openings." Ha.

Her followup made him (the actual hiring manager) personally view her resume. That in itself gives a jobseeker a much higher chance of being picked up if they don't have the exact qualifications our wonderful computer screening systems are looking for.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
jdm2008 and bobtn, you can be as snarky as you like but sending a follow up to a rejection letter is not obnoxious or negative when the alternative is your resume completely going to the trashbin. Or as they like to call it, "being kept on record for future openings." .
The followup in this case insures your resume will be deep-sixed for any future openings at the company. It isn't going to change the present decision, but it will kill your chances off at any future opportunities.

It shows you cannot accept bad news, and are childish.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
Quote:
it's really not the same. you are talking about a completely different issue here. all i am saying is there is a difference between being broke and looking for a job and having enough money to live on for a bit (whether it's unemployment or savings) while you look for a job. in the latter situation, you can afford to be choosy. if you're really desperate, you really don't have a choice even if you don't think the job is right for you.
Please. You can't afford to be THAT choosy, or you'll be cut off unemployment. If you're "choosy" for too long, the savings dwindle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search