Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Maybe during your application process or interview you SHOW that attitude and the person thinks .. Oh crap this person will be a nightmare to work with ... shred box it goes.
More psuedo psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 06:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
More psuedo psychology.
I know this has been mentioned before but the tone of your posts in general really isn't very pleasant and you sound very bitter on the subject of employment. Unfortunately this sort of attitude shines through whether you realize it or not and prospective employers will shy away from it. I realize the job search is frustrating but it would really be better for you not to be so immediately dismissive of people's comments.

Have you considered (or participated in) any sort of job counseling or further education? When a continuing strategy fails to produce results it generally makes good sense to change the tack. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
I have to wait until October to go back to Vocrehab, and tell them I need at least an associates degree. So I will have to wait 2 years to get that and then hopefully I will be able to get one of the low paying jobs that people say are soooooo easy to get.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 AM

115 posts, read 158,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
How is everyone else getting a job? Most people, like 90%+ seem to be finding jobs.
The vast majority of them already had jobs, and if fired, would not be able to find a replacement job at a similar level. It is an issue for people that have been graduating into the "work force" since 2006. If your degree is not in a unionized field, you're unlikely to find anything.

Most hiring managers, if they became unemployed, would not meet the qualifications to become a hiring manager again since the qualifications required have been raised. Now that's ironic

Keep in mind that saying "everyone" when 10% of the work force is actively seeking work and can't find it, and most estimates put underemployment counting discouraged workers / part time wishing for full, and those forced to work dramatically below their skill level at around 27%.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
people offer outdated advice mostly for one or both of these reasons:

1. that's the way it was (or at least that's the way it was perceived to be, depending on what you're talking about) for a long time
2. they haven't had the experience of job searching in this economy

there are a few other possible explanations such as "they're dumb", "they're not paying attention", "they had good luck and base their opinions on their own experience and nothing else", etc.

I agree with this.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
That's the worst part, is that when you speak out about it people call you the usual lazy person with a bad attitude that just need to "do this" and everything will fall into place. Wrong wrong wrong. Remember that it's not you, it is the incompetence and corruption of the job market in 2013 and beyond.
Honestly, from your few posts it just might be you. #attitude

Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
A lot of it has to do with older generations not understanding the changing workforce climate, or at the very least, not experiencing it. See, older people are used to holding jobs for several years. Back in the day, from what I've been told, pay was better, employee treatment was better, and there were more opportunities for advancement in the company you worked for. That said, the older generations would get hired in at a company and stay for years, possibly until retirement. Therefore, a lot of these folks have not had to look for work in the current climate.

Trust me, my parents are just as oblivious. My mother has been a teacher's aide for the past 15 years at the local school district and my father has been a truck driver at the same company for the past 32 years. They are the last people I would go to for career advice. If anyone has been able to provide valuable advice to me, it's been people my age or slightly older. You can typically extract much more valuable knowledge from exchanging war stories with them than by asking anyone born earlier than 1970.

That's been my experience at least.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM

382 posts, read 664,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Honestly, from your few posts it just might be you. #attitude
I can related to Parried though after months upon months of trying to find work, my attitude and perspective on life has degraded. It is unreal not to think that way. Then the people who I have encountered that felt it is easy to get a job, well 9/10 the last time they went on interviews was way before the recession. Try to face the job market now. If finding a job is very easy as some claim then I'm willing to accept that I am just unemployable.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographystudies View Post
The vast majority of them already had jobs, and if fired, would not be able to find a replacement job at a similar level. It is an issue for people that have been graduating into the "work force" since 2006. If your degree is not in a unionized field, you're unlikely to find anything.

Most hiring managers, if they became unemployed, would not meet the qualifications to become a hiring manager again since the qualifications required have been raised. Now that's ironic

Keep in mind that saying "everyone" when 10% of the work force is actively seeking work and can't find it, and most estimates put underemployment counting discouraged workers / part time wishing for full, and those forced to work dramatically below their skill level at around 27%.
The graduates from say 2005/2006 and forward have been screwed. Their lifetime earnings will be lower because they had to take beneath them jobs (one thing employers don't like if you ask some on here.) Is the effect of recent college graduate un(der)employment noticeable yet, not really if you look at stats but in another 4 or 5 years when we have better understanding of the numbers, we can see how much it has effect lifetime earning and start-up, fourth year and 10th year pay.

I think the "work for the same company" fact was done by the 80's or 90's when you had all the corporate buyouts. Let's face it, companies like to buy others out for the resources and then ship off employees who are doing the same work when it is redundant and don't value. And do I blame companies for this, no. Add in companies running lean like they needed to since the credit crunch really hit in 2008, forget about being able to stay in the same company for 20/30 years.

I would imagine that is the case for many current employees. The issue seems to be employers jacked up the requirements for being in a position. I am not sure if this is a bias of wanting the best talent out there or what. I do think part of the issue is colleges not preparing for jobs. People look to college in the same way they did trade schools (even though they are not.) For the most part college doesn't translate to the workplace now. Yet millennials were told goto college because if you don't, you'll work at McDonald's for the rest of your life and you'll be a failure.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
A lot of it has to do with older generations not understanding the changing workforce climate, or at the very least, not experiencing it. See, older people are used to holding jobs for several years. Back in the day, from what I've been told, pay was better, employee treatment was better, and there were more opportunities for advancement in the company you worked for. That said, the older generations would get hired in at a company and stay for years, possibly until retirement. Therefore, a lot of these folks have not had to look for work in the current climate.

Trust me, my parents are just as oblivious. My mother has been a teacher's aide for the past 15 years at the local school district and my father has been a truck driver at the same company for the past 32 years. They are the last people I would go to for career advice. If anyone has been able to provide valuable advice to me, it's been people my age or slightly older. You can typically extract much more valuable knowledge from exchanging war stories with them than by asking anyone born earlier than 1970.

That's been my experience at least.
I think this is major. I know with my parents they worked for the government. My father worked on the town and my mother worked for the Department of Defense. Both were pretty set. The only way my mom was if there was a major RIF because she was civilian even with 30+ years in. I don't really have the outlet to find people my age in the same boat being I live with my parents and they live with people in their age group.

I was talking with one just Monday night and she was wondering why I was unemployed and I honestly told her, I have no idea. I apply for bank jobs, sales, retail and hardly anything works. Most of the interviews I've had have been with crap sales jobs. She said I should look into government work but with the budget issues and furloughs that is all but impossible now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search