Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
It's called overcompensation. Like when a 20-something virgin brags constantly about his wild sexual exploits.

KC is a big small city that punches well above its weight. It has a remarkable amount of culture, style and ammenities relative to other cities in the 2 million range (Cincy, Cleveland, San Antonio, Columbus, Charlotte, Indy) really the only one that blows it away is Portland.

StL is a small big city that underperforms relative to many of its peers like Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, San Diego, and Denver.

The fact that the two are so comparable in terms of day-to-day lifestyle is a nod to KC and a strike against StL. The fact the StLians have to so vehemently puff up their chests every time someone suggests KC is a peer of theirs tells you all you need to know.
Pretty much agree with this. Although I like Portland better than KC, it lacks pro sports (at least NFL and MLB) which keeps it from "blowing away" KC IMO. But its Pacific NW location and thriving urban core definitely give it an edge over KC.

But it's not just KC that people in StL will get defensive with, it's any place. I actually kind of like that pride factor and StL gets a bad rap constantly showing up as the most dangerous city etc, so in many cases, they have a right to be defensive. For a city of nearly 3 million people, StL get even less respect nationally than KC does from my experiences.

My point about StL people having pride is not about them thinking they are better than KC, but about somebody from an outer suburb actually standing up an having pride in the city of StL and being a StLouisan despite living in some outer suburb. Such pride can be difficult to find in kcmo proper, let alone some outer belt suburb. Often, people in Olathe are from Kansas or Johson County first then KC, people from St Peters or Belleview or from STL first then from whatever suburb/county/state. I like the StL version better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 04:58 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
The fact the StLians have to so vehemently puff up their chests every time someone suggests KC is a peer of theirs tells you all you need to know.
We dont.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
My point about StL people having pride is not about them thinking they are better than KC, but about somebody from an outer suburb actually standing up an having pride in the city of StL and being a StLouisan despite living in some outer suburb. Such pride can be difficult to find in kcmo proper, let alone some outer belt suburb. Often, people in Olathe are from Kansas or Johson County first then KC, people from St Peters or Belleview or from STL first then from whatever suburb/county/state. I like the StL version better.
KC's population definately has a problem with self-esteem, too. It manifests as shame-faced, apologetic, woe-is me negativity. It is pitiful to behold. If St Louis is the "bragging virgin" KC is the decent, but unspectacular, looking girl who believes in her soul that she is hideously ugly, fat and unlovable.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
We dont.
O, that's right, I remember...St Louis is just too big and important to even care about little country-assed Kansas City. That's why you posted on here!

St Louis is pretty cool. Its internet representatives, however, are not.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:41 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
O, that's right, I remember...St Louis is just too big and important to even care about little country-assed Kansas City. That's why you posted on here!
In case it escaped you, I posted in this thread before you even joined CD.
Also, do not presume to put words in my mouth.
Its interesting, some people have no idea what they are really thinking comes through loud and clear in their posts.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 PM

398 posts, read 993,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Sure you are not talking about yourself? The most relentless negative comments I see on KC on this board is coming from you, Mr. KC Has The Worst Drivers rant for example, which I found amusing because it's hardly true. The most rants and rip fests on this site really do come from you and it's a major downer.
He was a major downer before you arrived as well. Check my join date. Occasionally I'll just be reading this forum and see some comment from him that just strikes me as being very mean-spirited, angry in a petty, vindictive kind of way. I've come to realize, that's his personality. That's what his comments on KCRag are like as well, but he hides it better here. Someone linked to KCrag and I read some of his comments there and was shocked at how narrow-minded, judgmental, and mean-spirited he is on there, especially regarding anything about Kansas. Which is something that I do not understand at all, because Kansas is 40% of the KC metro. If you are about the KC metro, you should support both sides.

I saw a comment from him in one of the forums here a few weeks ago, where he said of himself that "I pretty much hate the Midwest". I was like, what?? You hate the Midwest but claim to be a big supporter of Kansas City? That's like saying I hate the Pacific Northwest, but I love Seattle. Or I hate New England, but I love Boston. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you hate the Midwest, maybe Kansas City isn't your kind of place. He strikes me as someone who is emotionally tied to Kansas City because that's where he is from, but if he had been born and raised in someplace else like Seattle, he would absolutely loathe Kansas City. Those emotional connections can be strong and can make you care about a place that you otherwise would not like.

I find his strong support for St. Louis to be odd as well. Because as I stated here in a prior comment, St. Louis is probably the #1 competitor for Kansas City and steals a lot of Kansas City's thunder. Being an in-state city, it also steals funding from the state and directs state economic development initiatives toward St. Louis and away from Kansas City. But he's here like "St. Louis is awesome. I love St. Louis. But BOO KANSAS". Just doesn't make sense to me unless it's all about irrational hatred for Kansas.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 PM

327 posts, read 968,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
There's a lot of unhappy people here in my office who say nasty things about KC, but more than that there's a ton of ignorance.

I live one mile from our office. That is not an exaggeration; it's exactly one mile, and when people ask me where I live and I tell them "Volker" they have no idea. I'm serious that not one person ever has, except for my boss because she lives in Volker.

OK, fine KC doesn't focus much on neighborhood names, I can live with that. "Right off 39th Street West just north of here with all the restaurants" -- and 75%+ of the time they still don't know what I'm talking about. Which seems strange to me because the Plaza restaurants are always packed (and are much more expensive on the whole), but whatever, fine.

So finally I say "Right by Ku Med," and then I usually get a "Ohhh, yeah, OK." It's 1 mile and a lot of the people I'm talking about have worked here for years and years.

One of KC's best strips of restaurants, one of its best neighborhoods, and no one knows where it is. That simply would not happen in any of the other places I've ever lived..
Scrapping the bottom of the barrel today, eh? Bashing Kansas Citians (for another one upmanship on this STL vs. KC thread) by referring to your co-workers (many Kansas residents, I'll wager) as ignorant because they aren't familiar with your neighborhood? Pleeeze! Next time consider taking the high road by making restaurant recommendations to your co-workers instead of lamenting their "ton of ignorance."

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if kcmo left this forum, it would probably shrivel up and die. it's already one of the least used forums I've ever seen on City-Data. Go to similarly sized cities and they have a much better community of posters.
Although I consider this to be an inaccurate statement, I would be remiss if I did not give credit where credit is due. KCMO has made tremendous contributions to this forum with his photography and his wealth of incredible information. He is an articulate writer. However, many knowledgeable and positive posters have also left this forum because of KCMO and the 24/7 negativity generated by his hatred of Johnson County and its residents. Most people get sick of crap real quick, and there's alot of it on this forum. You state that comparable cities have "a much better community of posters." I would like to see this for my hometown as well.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 PM

327 posts, read 968,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've lived in a lot of cities, and even other countries and found them wonderful, but there is just something about StL, and MO, for that matter.

I get that, Kshe-girl, there's no place like home!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
He was a major downer before you arrived as well. Check my join date. Occasionally I'll just be reading this forum and see some comment from him that just strikes me as being very mean-spirited, angry in a petty, vindictive kind of way. I've come to realize, that's his personality. That's what his comments on KCRag are like as well, but he hides it better here. Someone linked to KCrag and I read some of his comments there and was shocked at how narrow-minded, judgmental, and mean-spirited he is on there, especially regarding anything about Kansas. Which is something that I do not understand at all, because Kansas is 40% of the KC metro. If you are about the KC metro, you should support both sides.

I saw a comment from him in one of the forums here a few weeks ago, where he said of himself that "I pretty much hate the Midwest". I was like, what?? You hate the Midwest but claim to be a big supporter of Kansas City? That's like saying I hate the Pacific Northwest, but I love Seattle. Or I hate New England, but I love Boston. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you hate the Midwest, maybe Kansas City isn't your kind of place. He strikes me as someone who is emotionally tied to Kansas City because that's where he is from, but if he had been born and raised in someplace else like Seattle, he would absolutely loathe Kansas City. Those emotional connections can be strong and can make you care about a place that you otherwise would not like.

I find his strong support for St. Louis to be odd as well. Because as I stated here in a prior comment, St. Louis is probably the #1 competitor for Kansas City and steals a lot of Kansas City's thunder. Being an in-state city, it also steals funding from the state and directs state economic development initiatives toward St. Louis and away from Kansas City. But he's here like "St. Louis is awesome. I love St. Louis. But BOO KANSAS". Just doesn't make sense to me unless it's all about irrational hatred for Kansas.
Oh my god, here we go. So let me get this straight, I must hate StL and like Kansas, I must not talk bad about KC drivers. I must post links to stupid lists about how KC is a top whatever in whatever list, but never ever talk about the state lines issues or lack of community spirit in KC.

Sorry not going to happen, I talk about everything KC, not just cheesy lists. I’ll talk up the arts center and make fun of KC drivers in the same thread. Again we are all adults and if you can’t handle that, then I guess you need to move on.

Who has left this forum? Samantha? She and a few other hard core JoCo posters were the main reason I joined this forum in the first place to reduce the all "move to JoCo that's where all the nice suburbs, safe areas and good schools are!" "stay out of MO and you will be fine".... The forum is far more balanced without them with people recommending all parts of metro KC, including JoCo, but not only JoCo. Go back five years and look at the posts before I came along, but I’m sure you are fine with those.

@ Blue Earth, I know I hurt your feelings with my post about Village West over on KC Rag. Village West is what it is. People have different opinions of it, get over it. You can love the place I don’t care. As far as me hating the Midwest. What’s the big deal with that? I like some of the cities in the Midwest, but no, I’m not fond of the rural Midwest outside the big cities. It’s one of the few reasons I like a lot of cities better than KC, the location. For example, I just defended KC over on the Indy forum:

Quote:
Well first off I simply enjoy choosing a side and debating cities, so nothing personal.

I'm sure we will never convince each other that one city is better than the other, I'm just voicing my opinions and respect yours.

But to back up my opinions, KC has MLB and with that 80 days of major league baseball. IMO MLB is the most important sport because it truly adds to the quality of life of a city. I simply enjoy going to the ballpark often. I love NFL, but they only play 16 times and there is nothing like catching a MLB game in the summer. KC has NFL, MLB, MLS minor league hockey/indoor soccer/baseball and a racetrack, plus college sports. Indy has more college sports and NBA, but no MLS or MLB. MLB alone is enough to give KC the edge, even if barely.

Location. Baltimore is very near DC, Philly and is close to NYC and many other cities plus the mountains of PA, WV etc and the Atlantic Ocean and a ton of historic sites, amusement parks etc. Baltimore blows away KC and Indy as far as location goes. While I like Indy's proximity to Chicago, Cincy, StL etc, I don't like the area Indy is in. I generally like Missouri better than Indiana, especially Indiana around Indy. KC is close to StL and close enough to Colorado, but I like the setting of KC and western MO, so I give KC the edge there.

And finally, I just think there is more to do in KC as far as things I like to do. I mentioned KC has a decent amusement park, you have to drive to Cincy or something, I personally think KC has better museums and arts venues and I like KC's general aesthetics/architecture better and I like KC's suburbs better.

But Indy is a fine city. I would have no problem living there at all. Just wish you had MLB
Quote:
Well it sure wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure KC needs to be a lot bigger. I mean the area has like 2.2 million (2.5 if you include Lawrence and St Joe) so I think that is enough people to support any attractions, sports etc the city might want.

What the state line does is kill the city's ability to compete as a whole. Metro KC is so busy competing with itself that bringing in companies from Chicago or New York (as you mentioned with Indy) is almost out of the question. It takes everything KCMO has just to fend off its own kansas suburbs from taking every established company they have.

In a city like Indy, you are not only the capital,but most of your suburbs are in the city limits and in one county, you are one city and one metro, period. KC does not act like that.

And that's just at the Metro KC level. KC has even more issues at the state level with both Kansas and Missouri.

Kansas does nothing but take advantage of KCMO, if not actually inflict harm on the city economically by doing everything in their power to poach kcmo companies and lure them to the KS side of the metro while refusing to cooperate on regional issues such as transit and culture. Then you have Missouri which basically ignores KC (and what Kansas does to KCMO). Missouri's number one priority is St Louis, then out-state Missouri, THEN Kansas City. So KCMO gets the shaft from both KS and MO. For that reason, I'm always amazed that KCMO does as well as it does.

So yea I think KC would be a much more progressive city today and probably larger if it were a capital or at least if all the metro were in Missouri. (not kansas because kck, topeka and wichita are not great places, the only decent place in KS is suburban johson county which owes 99% of its success to being able to siphon off kcmo). So the entire metro would need to be in MO because KS has a terrible track record of developing its own progresive and growing cities outside maybe Lawrence, (but how do you screw up a college town?)

Having said all that, I still think KC simply offers more than Indy as a place to live though, but it's not with places like Denver.

So yea, I can like KC and not like the Midwest all that well. I like Chicago and pretty much hate Illinois, Indy is okay, but Indiana sucks. Portland is pretty equal to KC, and it’s a bit remote, but the PacNW makes up for it. Baltimore kinda sucks but it’s location near other cities/mountains/ocean really helps make that city desirable. I think KC is a much better city than Indy, but would rank it slightly below or equal to STL and not as appealing as Denver or Seattle or Minneapolis. Just because I like some cities better than KC doesn't mean I don't like KC.

On to StL. It’s okay to like StL. What has StL done to harm KC????? As I posted in the Indy quote above, I know the problems that StL creates with MO. But this is primarily attributed to Jeff City, not StL. KC just doesn’t put anybody in Jeff City to represent it and so it gets the short end of the stick in MO. Everybody in Jeff is from StL or Springfield. That’s not StL’s fault. Metro StL actually works well with KCMO leaders politically and always back KC leaders in Jeff City when needed. StL leaders helped push Jeff City to pass the MODESA law to help KC build the P&L District and Sprint Center. I don’t see St Charles or Chesterfield offering 50 million dollars to KCMO companies or even KS side companies. StL is pretty harmless to KC. Any rivalry at all with StL is with the sports teams and that rivalry doesn’t exist anymore because the Royals and Rams suck. KC is just a place to catch an away Cards game (of which most cards fans that show up are just relocated StL cards fans living in KC). Same deal with the Rams in STL. I like StL, I lived there for a while and really just like the city. So what. I don’t like what Kansas does to KCMO or how Kansas treats or interacts with KCMO in general. If I was okay with that, you would be fine with what ever I say.

Anything else???

Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
The new economic datasets have come out for the US. Here is the breakdown for the KC metro (percentage employment change between 2000-2009)

KC metro Missouri: counties:
Ray: -19.5%
Caldwell: -14.9%
Clinton: -14.8%
Jackson: -11.1%
Lafayette: -10.0%
Bates: -8.3%
Clay: 1.4%
Platte: 11.8%
Cass: 13.6%

KC metro Kansas counties:
Linn: No Data
Leavenworth: -8.9%
Miami: -2.0%
Wyandotte: 2.7%
Johnson: 8.1%
Franklin: 17.8%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City