Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2016, 08:15 PM

473 posts, read 502,097 times

Advertisements

Lindsborg is adorable. Also like Council Grove for charm - neat town, nice people but not best business situation unless you are invited to live there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 28,759 times
First places that come to mind for me when thinking about best small towns in Kansas, I generally think of places like Lindsborg, Council Grove or Marysville. You have others like Ellinwood, Beloit, Marion, Halstead, Norton, Seneca, etc. that have a lot of charm and historical aspects to them that make them great places to live or visit.

Sadly some of the decline of population and importance of "your" community has hurt some of these iconic communities. I know Ellinwood is not quite what it use to be as the population got smaller and the older generations (the pillars) are no longer as strong there. Ellinwood was one of those communities that had a lot of history (German), iconic under ground tunnels, oil money and After Harvest Festival. It was a beautiful and thriving town that had the same charm Lindsborg or Council Grove still has. Still a very nice community but not what it once was but sadly you hear that a lot across the state. The brain train and the world becoming such a small world (killing ones downtown) has led to many of the founding family names to move away or just pass away in time. Doesn't help that there just isn't the same oil money as there once was. Ellinwood is just one example though.

Still love going across the state and seeing communities that take a lot of pride in themselves and try to keep their towns looking nice and not letting go of their heritage.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:43 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I believe the economic downturn of our country really hurt the small towns. People simply do not have the money to maintain things the way they should be maintained. It is very sad. Buildings in particular can only be neglected for a few years before it becomes cost prohibitive to restore them.

I like Council Grove, rarely is anything affordable in real estate there. I have heard that Hillsboro is nice and that Marion has become a little rundown.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I believe the economic downturn of our country really hurt the small towns. People simply do not have the money to maintain things the way they should be maintained. It is very sad. Buildings in particular can only be neglected for a few years before it becomes cost prohibitive to restore them.

I like Council Grove, rarely is anything affordable in real estate there. I have heard that Hillsboro is nice and that Marion has become a little rundown.
No, it is the ongoing dichotomy/divide playing out around the US that is leading to most economic and population growth occurring in larger metropolitan areas- where the economy is doing quite well at the moment. Rural areas contend with a myriad of forces related to out-migration, brain drain, and aging in place that impacts how well they function. As a whole, rural counties lost population so far this decade. Nearly all population and job growth in Kansas is in metropolitan counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas