Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 PM

350 posts, read 741,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Desirable places have new job growth and in-migration into the area. Johnson County, KS is the only county in the state that meets this description. The rest of the state has mostly the opposite problems. The lack of desirability has more to do with extreme isolation which does not appeal to a large percentage of the US populace. That, and the social culture and the extreme weather are other negatives. Everyone knows about these factors and the only population growth in the vast majority of the Great Plains region is in the metropolitan places along with a few sprinkling of micropolitan places.
I like the "extreme isolation" (didn't think KS was so extremely isolated) and the wide open spaces. I like the low population density and am glad that the countryside is not torn apart by subdivisions and shopping malls. The weather can be rough but there are plenty of places with difficult climates. Its obvious that you are not a conservative and you feel the need to bash people who are thus the quip about the "social culture" of the Plains.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
I like the "extreme isolation" (didn't think KS was so extremely isolated) and the wide open spaces. I like the low population density and am glad that the countryside is not torn apart by subdivisions and shopping malls. The weather can be rough but there are plenty of places with difficult climates. Its obvious that you are not a conservative and you feel the need to bash people who are thus the quip about the "social culture" of the Plains.
I didn't specifically mention politics, but I am independent. I don't prefer to be pigenholed into a category. Of course I don't like random haphazard development as I believe land conservation is a core conservative belief. My idea of living in a rural area is one that is surrounded by woods with no visible neighbors yet town amenities 10-15 minutes away.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:46 PM

350 posts, read 741,059 times
Quote:
I didn't specifically mention politics, but I am independent... My idea of living in a rural area is one that is surrounded by woods with no visible neighbors yet town amenities 10-15 minutes away.
Then what do you mean by "social culture". There are many places in KS and NE where you can be in a rural area and 10-15 minutes away from town. Not having as much woods I can't help you with.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:51 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Desirable places have new job growth and in-migration into the area. Johnson County, KS is the only county in the state that meets this description. The rest of the state has mostly the opposite problems. The lack of desirability has more to do with extreme isolation which does not appeal to a large percentage of the US populace. That, and the social culture and the extreme weather are other negatives. Everyone knows about these factors and the only population growth in the vast majority of the Great Plains region is in the metropolitan places along with a few sprinkling of micropolitan places.
When I lived in that part of the country, I didn't see the "social culture" there as a negative or positive....in fact I didn't think about it really at all. But it only took about 2 years of living in this social cesspool that is the Bay Area to fully understand what a huge positive the "social culture" of the great plains really is.

And everyone also knows that, with the bolded sentence, you have described the vast majority of the US, and probably the world.

So the same question lingers in the minds of most of us after yet another attempt to put down a state that has only one major negative....the oppressive summer heat. And even that is just my opinion, as many people inexplicably seem to thrive on extreme heat and humidity.

So the same question lingers. Why? Why this never ending series of attacks on Kansas? The perpetual shelling of Israel by Hamas makes as much sense to me.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Really? I have never been anywhere outside of Texas where people were more prone to incessant, out-of-touch-with-reality, loudmouthed, self-aggrandizement than Portland in particular and Oregon in general.
lol @ "outside of Texas." I now you're talking business with that statement. It might be like that today. I was talking about the past -- like 50 years ago and earlier. Portland was always much more low key than Seattle.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
When I lived in that part of the country, I didn't see the "social culture" there as a negative or positive....in fact I didn't think about it really at all. But it only took about 2 years of living in this social cesspool that is the Bay Area to fully understand what a huge positive the "social culture" of the great plains really is.

And everyone also knows that, with the bolded sentence, you have described the vast majority of the US, and probably the world.

So the same question lingers in the minds of most of us after yet another attempt to put down a state that has only one major negative....the oppressive summer heat. And even that is just my opinion, as many people inexplicably seem to thrive on extreme heat and humidity.

So the same question lingers. Why? Why this never ending series of attacks on Kansas? The perpetual shelling of Israel by Hamas makes as much sense to me.
Eh, the "social culture" is the infusion of divisive cultural issues into politics that I really don't like. Kansan politicans seem notoriously vulnerable by entangling themselves into the imagined "culture wars."

You and I both agree on the summer heat. I want nothing to do with high temperatures and humidity for long periods of time. Eastern Kansas has both along with the very intense sun angle. I always make the apt comparison of "why" did agrarian based Europeans settle so far south in latitude in the US compared to where they came from? All of Europe is situated well to the north of 42 degrees latitude with a tolerable level of solar radiation. Soils are also better in the US in the northern tier due to rich soils carved flat by glaciers.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Eh, the "social culture" is the infusion of divisive cultural issues into politics that I really don't like. Kansan politicans seem notoriously vulnerable by entangling themselves into the imagined "culture wars."

You and I both agree on the summer heat. I want nothing to do with high temperatures and humidity for long periods of time. Eastern Kansas has both along with the very intense sun angle. I always make the apt comparison of "why" did agrarian based Europeans settle so far south in latitude in the US compared to where they came from? All of Europe is situated well to the north of 42 degrees latitude with a tolerable level of solar radiation. Soils are also better in the US in the northern tier due to rich soils carved flat by glaciers.
Why would you call the culture war "imagined"?

This San Francisco - World Naked Bike Ride (WNBR) - Wiki information site is what the streets of San Francisco look like today. And in San Francisco that means a day like many, many others.

This is what the people of Kansas have successfully kept at a safe distance from their communities and their children. And it is just one example of why the culture war is anything but imagined. This is what will infect Kansas and any other state that lets down their guard.

Today's fight for the preservation of safe and wholesome communities suitable for young families is as important as any battle this nation has ever fought.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:
Soils are also better in the US in the northern tier due to rich soils carved flat by glaciers.
Not much of an agronomist are you?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:01 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
When I've talked about moving to Western Kansas some people (out here in the West) have "snickered" at times. They act like I've lost my mind. It's all a big "joke" to them!...But ha ha! These are the very people I want to "move away from" and leave behind me...Talk about arrogance! And lack of manners! And snobbery! YUK!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
When I've talked about moving to Western Kansas some people (out here in the West) have "snickered" at times. They act like I've lost my mind. It's all a big "joke" to them!...But ha ha! These are the very people I want to "move away from" and leave behind me...Talk about arrogance! And lack of manners! And snobbery! YUK!
Oh....how I know the feeling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas