Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,280 times

Advertisements

Don't get too excited E. TN. does not have any Publix stores, Kroger is the closest thing and it does not come close in cleanliness or qaulity and service. Maybe compare it to a ten year old Winn Dixie. Anyone from FL. knows theres only one place to purchase qaulity food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 05:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayshoredev8 View Post
Don't get too excited E. TN. does not have any Publix stores, Kroger is the closest thing and it does not come close in cleanliness or qaulity and service. Maybe compare it to a ten year old Winn Dixie. Anyone from FL. knows theres only one place to purchase qaulity food.
Plus Publix makes THE best sandwiches!!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Plus Publix makes THE best sandwiches!!!!
Absolutely correct!!!

By the way, is it just me or has this whole thread without a single credible link to the 'fact' that Costco is comming?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Wink A personal non-confirmation from Brenda to Gem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
Absolutely correct!!!

By the way, is it just me or has this whole thread without a single credible link to the 'fact' that Costco is comming?
I sent an email to Costco Corporate about a week ago and just received this reply this evening:

Dear G----, (my correction)

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

Currently we do not have any public information regarding plans to open a Costco in your area.
Our real estate department is continually looking for ideas for new locations around the country and around the world.
We will forward your suggestion to our Real Estate Department so they are aware of your interest.

Thank you,

Brenda
Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com

Now, THAT should clear it up for us!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 PM

The cue is "public information". If someone knows anyone at the county offices a permit/zoning would have to be applied for or at least looked into so they would know before anyone what new business's are to be built. They don't like to reveal their plans because some landowners could play games with prices where they're looking to locate among other reasons.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:02 AM

132 posts, read 661,055 times
This is how Costco operates. They will not make a public announcement about the new location until construction is well underway because they do not want to let on to their competition where they are going. Has anybody seen the proposed Turkey Hill sight, and does it look like the area is ready to begin construction?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 AM

96 posts, read 356,697 times
I do hope they come....I love the place. I would love to see Publix come, I miss the Boarhead subs...YUM.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:10 PM

Wink All property transfers and building plans are public information.

Jimj and 4pits, you are both so right with your comments. I have worked with town engineering and planning (in MA - won't help in this case.) and some of these commercial projects are in the works for 2 or 3 years before any real construction beings.

It is public record, however, and open to anyone's inspection. I would start with the assessors or tax collector's offices. The assessors records are public information and list every deed transfer usually within 30 days of closing. The tax collector office get their share as soon as humanly possible, and their info is open to public inspection. If the property has been purchased by any corporation, they will be collecting.

You don't even have to give a reason for asking about it. So, if someone lives close-by and is curious enough, maybe you could check it out and give us the low-down.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:34 PM

Hopefully they aren't as sneaky as Wal-Mart. They use multiple shell companies to buy realestate and will buy in many locations around the area they are investigating sometimes a few years in advance to hide where they're going. This is happening where we now live and everyone's runing around trying to figure out where they're going....

Old 11-07-2007, 09:40 PM

Question Seems business isn't just business.

Very likely the same scenario with Costco, jimj. I know that is how Home Depot and Lowe's operate.

Lowe's in particular. In every area that we have lived in around the country, it seems that we have had an established Home Depot for some number of years. Then, viola, within a mile or two, up pops a Lowe's to try to grab some of the market.

I'm sure there is a lot of marketing stradegy involved that I do not fully understand. I would think that one would locate in an area that would not have the competiton a mile away (unless Lowe's is out shooting for bear)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville