Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 03:56 AM

515 posts, read 1,177,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
$425 divided by 30 days is $35.5. I believe it is enough for this guy and his GF.
That's $3.55 not $35.5. Even $4/day for food, consumables like soap and clothing and unexpected expenses like medical isn't reasonable, even for one person alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 04:07 AM

44 posts, read 75,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
My roommate was 23 years old with no particular skills. He got a job selling sunglasses. It pays minimum wage plus commission. I just find that some people are not willing to take ANY job no matter what it is. That is not everyone as there are people who will take any job and still cannot find work.

Precisely my point! 23 with no skills AND NOTHING TO LOSE!! He COULD go and work for min. wage.
I am 40 years old with a house and a car. In other words, an adapted lifestyle that i worked hard for. Sure, one could say the more money you make the more problems you gain,at the same time...It is NOT my fault I was let go. If it was not for my saving...Id be screwed!!! And what of my aggressive 401 K that has been severely damaged by all this. At 23, you had better be very concerned with what is happening
So, once again, not everyone in Las Vegas is 23 and has the ability to just go out and get that fast food style of job. So, there again as well, be careful who you generalize. One day you may just wake up realizing the same thing I speak of

Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,177,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushx1 View Post
I am an educated person with a degree in culinary arts. I am a certified Pro Chef 3 C.D.C. I have, at the highest point in my career managed PNL exceeding 5 million + for some of the biggest resorts here in Vegas with my last being the Chef de Cuisine of the opening of the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego.
Do you know how many interviews that I have been to as of late where I was told ...."you are over qualified"?
I have two recommendations for you

1) Lie. Your resume is not some document of absolute truth it is just an advertisement for you. When you are over qualified for the job use a stripped down resume - delete that degree, change your work history from chef to potato-peeler. Overselling yourself would be unethical - but underselling in order to tell them what they want to hear is entirely legit.

2) I know a guy very much like you, got the degree, worked at fine restaurants on both coasts - but with this economy he lost his job in LA and is back home living with his parents. I go to the gym on an almost daily basis and am working hard to recover from 20 years spent sitting behind a desk. Exercise is half the job, the other half is good nutrition. The gym helps with the exercise but I need just as much help with nutrition and I am far from alone in this.

It took about 6 months, but at my urging the gym's owner found this guy to deliver prepared meals to the gym on a daily basis for clients to take home with them after their sessions. So far, I'm the only one who buys all 21 meals a week from him, but he's got others that take some of their meals and others still that have attended classes that he teaches on how to prepare healthy meals. By necessity this guy has become an entrepreneur - you might want to look into a similar partnership. Especially with boutique gyms and individual personal trainers with higher-end clientele. Just something that I know is working for someone in a situation very much like yours.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,158,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushx1 View Post
Precisely my point! 23 with no skills AND NOTHING TO LOSE!! He COULD go and work for min. wage.
I am 40 years old with a house and a car. In other words, an adapted lifestyle that i worked hard for. Sure, one could say the more money you make the more problems you gain,at the same time...It is NOT my fault I was let go. If it was not for my saving...Id be screwed!!! And what of my aggressive 401 K that has been severely damaged by all this. At 23, you had better be very concerned with what is happening
So, once again, not everyone in Las Vegas is 23 and has the ability to just go out and get that fast food style of job. So, there again as well, be careful who you generalize. One day you may just wake up realizing the same thing I speak of
Fair enough, but then again don't say there are no jobs here as I was correct in my original reply to you . The proper way to say it was there were no jobs that would support your expensive lifestyle. I personally am 35 and work a minimum wage security guard job. I have been here with the same company for 4 years. I am sure I would have no problem finding another security guard job if I got laid off from here. Low end service sector jobs are easy to find in Vegas, and I have no problem paying all my bills with them as I live on the cheap.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 AM

320 posts, read 1,127,341 times
How's the market for accounting jobs (public or private)?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,555,374 times
These arguments are kind of ridiculous. There are clearly jobs here. Obviously not as many of them as there were in the past. So for every position, there are potentially as many as hundreds of people wanting to fill that position. I'm certainly no expert, but it would seem that in order to get these jobs, one must distinguish themselves from amongst the crowds. In most cases I would think that would mean not just sending out internet resumes while lounging around complaining about the economy. Additionally, making contacts and connections is probably more important than ever. I will probably be on the search for new employment myself and I have accepted the realization that I will need to be looking in many different fields and must make myself stand out in one way or another.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,025,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
That's $3.55 not $35.5. Even $4/day for food, consumables like soap and clothing and unexpected expenses like medical isn't reasonable, even for one person alone.
I've done that 5 times, in case my calculator is broke....it comes out to $14.17 per day.....someone needs a new calculator.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:01 PM

762 posts, read 1,557,965 times
one other thing the mass cooking shows have done is make people think that cooking at home is ok. It is
I think that any chef would have a hard time with so many people not going out.
I can afford to go out when I want but I am a better cook than most chefs.
I sound so dang cocksure of myself and I don't mean to. But mass production is going to loose something. I am just never satisfied or overwhelmed by the food even with a 3 star michelin.
I think that mass home flipping shows hurt people too, everyone thought they could do that too.
There is a job fair today it is on the front page of the sun.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM

487 posts, read 744,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
These arguments are kind of ridiculous. There are clearly jobs here. Obviously not as many of them as there were in the past. So for every position, there are potentially as many as hundreds of people wanting to fill that position. I'm certainly no expert, but it would seem that in order to get these jobs, one must distinguish themselves from amongst the crowds. In most cases I would think that would mean not just sending out internet resumes while lounging around complaining about the economy. Additionally, making contacts and connections is probably more important than ever. I will probably be on the search for new employment myself and I have accepted the realization that I will need to be looking in many different fields and must make myself stand out in one way or another.

I agree. You have no chance if all you doing is sending out CVs. You have to get out there and speak to people. The jobs will mainly go to the individuals that actively pursue them. Networking, etc.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 AM

85 posts, read 177,792 times
OK, two people have now gotten it wrong. $425 / 30 days is about $14 per day. Not $3.50, not $35.50. $14 per day is enough to live on, if you watch your expenses. LVD has it right for the most part. If you are willing to work, you will find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas