Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 11:56 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times

Advertisements

they should ban mention of any names, bar photos of the perp, blackout any possibility for notoriety. without this, there is no temptation for potential copy cats. zero. the media feeds this beast and is part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 12:06 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
For a lot of years, Valium was the most prescribed drug in the US. Miltown was the original Mother's Little Helper but Valium took over in the 1960's. Not likely that 10mg of Valium would make one want to commit mass murder but who knows how the pills were being used. I am sure they will be doing every known tox screen on the body.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:36 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
I think I was reading that his room where he shot from was 1,100 feet from the concert. That is almost 4 football fields lined up end to end. I don't know anything about guns, but that seems like a long distance to shoot accurately for a non professional. Seems like it would be difficult to practice shooting from that long a distance at a gun range.

Also I'm a little confused on the timeline. I read where he shot for 9-11 minutes, and then I thought I also read where it took 72 min from the time he started shooting until they kicked in his hotel door. Do I have this right? Why did it take them 1 hr and 12 min to get to his room? This seems like it would have taken maybe 20 min max. Couldn't they have just seen where the broken windows were and determined what floor and room that was pretty quickly?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:52 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I think I was reading that his room where he shot from was 1,100 feet from the concert. That is almost 4 football fields lined up end to end. I don't know anything about guns, but that seems like a long distance to shoot accurately for a non professional. Seems like it would be difficult to practice shooting from that long a distance at a gun range.

Also I'm a little confused on the timeline. I read where he shot for 9-11 minutes, and then I thought I also read where it took 72 min from the time he started shooting until they kicked in his hotel door. Do I have this right? Why did it take them 1 hr and 12 min to get to his room? This seems like it would have taken maybe 20 min max. Couldn't they have just seen where the broken windows were and determined what floor and room that was pretty quickly?

This is my first time ever shooting guns. I managed to hit a tiny target I could barely see with decent accuracy.
A blind man could have shot those people from that hotel room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VauPc7dx9zk

Old 10-04-2017, 12:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:

He did not NEED accuracy--
He is firing from a high vantage point shooting into a concentrated area dense with human bodies
Gravity was his friend--the velocity of his rounds were his friend--he was NOT really aiming for specific people even if he had scopes on captured weapons--
He just wanted to kill or wound as many people as he could--nothing specific or even really personal about it in all likelihood...
What did he need to practice????
Point and pull---that is all he had to do...and while he might have missed with some bullets he hit with others
Consider the fact that he was there on site for several days before he started shooting-
That music festival happened couple of nights prior to Sunday--he could have shot earlier--
He wanted the MOST fish in the barrel...the more massed/dense the crowd the more likely he makes contact with the bullets vs hitting concrete...

Some people there said that when people would crouch and hide due to the shooting, he would pause--then they would stand and run and he would start again with the mass fire

I am not sure about the time line
At first concert goers thought it was fireworks so the INITIAL reports of shots fired to the police or MB itself might have come from people INSIDE the hotel on floors above, on, below his location--where they could hear him more closely

Old 10-04-2017, 01:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
For a lot of years, Valium was the most prescribed drug in the US. Miltown was the original Mother's Little Helper but Valium took over in the 1960's. Not likely that 10mg of Valium would make one want to commit mass murder but who knows how the pills were being used. I am sure they will be doing every known tox screen on the body.
Yes
That is very low/starter dose
And frankly it is more a signal that he was under pressure/stress and was not dealing with it very well
Maybe he did have significant losses since he was apparently a long-time poker gambler
Maybe he had losses he couln't cover
Maybe he had issues that lead him to not be as successful has he had been in the past

But not the kind of medication level that would push someone into an act of violence like Paddock committed
And I am sure he will have extensive medical analysis

The people who speculate his father (the bank robber) had some "criminal" gene that transferred to the son and caused this event is just unfounded...
And speculating about that is a crime in itself...IMO

We live in DFW TX area--
Mesquite, TX where Paddock's family lived when he was a boy is across Dallas from our area
There was headline in the FTW paper this week that one of Paddock's childhood neighbors said that his mother (the 90 yr old living in FL now) called him (the shooter) a "bad son"...
I didn't read the story--didn't want to hear any more speculation or gossip
I know many people leading productive lives now who could be described as "bad" when they were children...

Old 10-04-2017, 01:24 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Ok. I literally rolled my eyes into the back of my head permanently this morning.
Opened up my fb and a celebrity/comedian i follow has started the speculation machine. The murderer was a Patsy for the anti gunners.
Everyone then chimed in and played 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon using the Clintons.
As far as I'm concerned, we still don't know enough to make any kind of Real sense to why, how, he murdered this way.

The U.S. right now is in a toilet bowl of confusion with **** coming from all corners of the world.
I'm sadened from this atrocity for all those innocent folks who died and we're hurt.
But, sometimes having the TV , FB, and all social media turned OFF goes a long way for my soul and outlook on our country.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:30 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Ok. I literally rolled my eyes into the back of my head permanently this morning.
Opened up my fb and a celebrity/comedian i follow has started the speculation machine. The murderer was a Patsy for the anti gunners.
Everyone then chimed in and played 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon using the Clintons.
As far as I'm concerned, we still don't know enough to make any kind of Real sense to why, how, he murdered this way.

The U.S. right now is in a toilet bowl of confusion with **** coming from all corners of the world.
I'm sadened from this atrocity for all those innocent folks who died and we're hurt.
But, sometimes having the TV , FB, and all social media turned OFF goes a long way for my soul and outlook on our country.

One rich dude pulling this off doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but with no evidence, we can't say anything about it. We have no idea what led to this.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:

He was aspparently using a bump stock. You don't asctually pull the trigger with such a device. You pull the front of the gun and stock apart a little and let go. The trigger hits your finger as the front of the rifle moves back and forth. There is no real aiming of such a device. Probably hitting in a circle of a large number of feet.

The police were outside the room at around 1019 and noted that the firing had stopped. They of course fear an ambush or a booby trap and waited for the SWAT Team. They then rigged an explosive device to open the door. They are at this point in no great hurry as the firing has stopped. I don't know what they would have done if the firing continued. Likely open fire through the door or walls. Half a dozen firing at the sound of gun fire would likely shut down the gunman.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:37 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I found out a business associate's nephew was one of the 59.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas