Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 07:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I think we can have a mix, especially near train stations, but I think it's essentially OK to have single family homes predominate. Besides, western Nassau is as dense as eastern Queens and as dense as most non "big city" urban neighborhoods.
No way is Western Nassau dense as East Queens, you can almost immediately see the change in housing stock once you cross over the Queens border. At least in Southeast Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 07:33 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Younger folks may want it (also because it will likely be affordable too), but no one with kids who moved here for them would want it IMO.
The market says you're wrong. It shows most people on LI want walkable communities, transit and diverse housing options.

If your theory were true (most Long Islanders wants sprawl) then property values would be growing fastest in the sprawliest areas, but those areas have the worst long-term property returns. The strongest real estate markets on LI are those that most resemble NYC. Places with transit, diverse housing options and walkability.
Quote:
I like suburbia... green grass, open skies, low-medium density, driveability, and safe. Do I really want to be looking at 5-story brick buildings and enroll in crowded schools - 30 kids to a teacher like in NYC? Absolutely not. 3-story medical buildings is about all I can stand in a residential area.
This is all NIMBY nonsense.

1. No one is calling for "closed skies" on LI (I don't even know what that means).

2. Long Island has extreme low density, and no one is calling for high density. There just needs to be moderate density increases where young and affluent people most want to live.

3. No one is calling for "5 story brick buildings" to cover LI. Absolutely no one.

4. Classroom sizes have absolutely nothing to do with zoning or development trends. You can have huge classroom sizes in sprawl and small classroom sizes in density. You're talking about school funding, not zoning/development.

Classroom sizes in denser communities often are lower than in sprawl. Why? Because tax base is stronger, and schools are better funded. Plus, condos rarely have children anyways, so you're building tax base without adding kids. Great Neck has very small class sizes. Sprawly districts with no development, places like Half Hollow Hills, have bigger class sizes.

NYC has much smaller class sizes in 2016 compared to 1976, despite having added 1.5 million residents. Rich, growing cities can better fund schools than poor, declining cities.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You seem to have issues with Hispanic people, insisting they are 'garbage dumped' in Westbury. Well, their citizenship may be very questionable, but for someone who is on social programs -- AKA sucking on the government teat -- you certainly have a very skewed sense of entitlement.
Stop race-baiting. These people have come here illegally. I cannot defend people who have broken the law to enter the US. Why should I be OK with that? They hang around all day & drink, drive loud riced-out Hondas with no mufflers, then there's the gang activity, like MS-13. All negative stuff. I get it, because I recieve assistance I have no right to complain. I'm tired of people like you putting me down.
You act like poor folks & folks with disabilities shouldn't have a right to be bothered by people who come into their town & make them feel unsafe.
Again, you're race-baiting. I dont care what language anyone speaks. But when you break the law, and then continue to break other laws while here, all the while treating our town like a toilet, why should that be tolerated?
And the unfortunate thing is many good, hard working hispanic immigrants who came here LEGALLY have to be lumped in with that trash.
And it is often them, as well as other minorities, and poorer folks who have to deal with the burden of illegal immigration the most! You want to help these illegals, then how about having some of them move to Garden City or Merrick & have those much wealthier school districts who are able to afford the extra students shoulder the burden? Yeah..I didn't think so

Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
I think this is the first time I've read about your personal medical issues. Your reasoning skills seem fine. You can still do jobs in IT and the like if you can't do physical work, can't you?
Why has this discussion become about me? If there was nothing wrong with me, I'd still be being picked on for expressing my frustration with the unfair treatment of towns on LI in regard to illegal immigration, wouldn't I?
This is a place to discuss opinions, can't we leave our personal lives out of it? I could care less what you or other people here do, really...
Part of the reason I was away from here for awhile, I see I haven't missed much

Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
4. Classroom sizes have absolutely nothing to do with zoning or development trends. You can have huge classroom sizes in sprawl and small classroom sizes in density. You're talking about school funding, not zoning/development.

Classroom sizes in denser communities often are lower than in sprawl. Why? Because tax base is stronger, and schools are better funded. Plus, condos rarely have children anyways, so you're building tax base without adding kids. Great Neck has very small class sizes. Sprawly districts with no development, places like Half Hollow Hills, have bigger class sizes.

NYC has much smaller class sizes in 2016 compared to 1976, despite having added 1.5 million residents. Rich, growing cities can better fund schools than poor, declining cities.
You're talking about... funding... for adding additional structures to schools for classrooms & teachers to keep class sizes the same? And you're still adding kids to the pool for extracurricular programs that may only be able to accommodate a set amount (ie. math/language enrichment). More enrolled is not desirable when we're spending extra to be here, regardless of whether it makes it slightly cheaper if we get more kids - that's not the point of being here. Our elementary school has no more room for classrooms unless you add to it. We've already had to give up a foreign language and music classrooms since we're still getting some kids every year. Even without additional housing built, my kids' classes have gone from 21 kids to 24 from the beginning of this school year alone. What exactly is funding going to do for it that makes us want it? Convince me it's beneficial to us.

Affordable condos for young professionals won't have children in it? On LI with better schools than NYC? That sounds like everyone with kids would flock to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Why has this discussion become about me? If there was nothing wrong with me, I'd still be being picked on for expressing my frustration with the unfair treatment of towns on LI in regard to illegal immigration, wouldn't I?
This is a place to discuss opinions, can't we leave our personal lives out of it? I could care less what you or other people here do, really...
Part of the reason I was away from here for awhile, I see I haven't missed much
Absolutely you don't have to talk about it. I'm probably not the only one wondering how people who get gov't assistance can act completely put together online but still get supported on our dime while voicing opinions against "rich" people like you do.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-29-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
No way is Western Nassau dense as East Queens, you can almost immediately see the change in housing stock once you cross over the Queens border. At least in Southeast Queens.
I guess i just disagree. Norheast for sure -- Great Neck is denser than Douglaston or Little Neck. Floral Park doesn't really differ based on county line and Rosedale/Valley Stream have their differences, I really think the density is about the same. Once you start getting a little closer to Jamaica, the density shoots up, that's for sure.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
I'm really starting to think you don't even come to LI. Build denser? How so? Many of the homes now in Nassau are on postage stamp sized lots. You want them to be torn down and built tighter? We have zoning for a reason out here. Many don't want it like NYC!! Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
None of this is true. LI can build denser, but NIMBYs prevent it from happening. There is nothing stopping LI from additional density except for NIMBYism.

And no one wants to build 40 floor towers on LI. That's NIMBY nonsense. LI just needs modest density increases around transit, and it will make a world of positive difference.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:16 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
I believe Nola has some great points. Fact is school enrollment is way down from years ago. Many schools have closed down. I do think that some young people would rather have a nice new apartment in an area they could walk to the train instead of a crappy apartment they have to share with 2-3 strangers to make due in the city.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
^^ I agree Nola has some good points.

But having 4-5 kids is a thing of the past. Not just here on the island but nationwide. Hell a lot of folks are not even having their first child till they are 30+ anymore. Times have just changed.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:46 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ I agree Nola has some good points.

But having 4-5 kids is a thing of the past. Not just here on the island but nationwide. Hell a lot of folks are not even having their first child till they are 30+ anymore. Times have just changed.
I agree, and they will continue to change. Hopefully LI can adapt to the changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island