Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 11:09 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I'm really starting to think you don't even come to LI. Build denser? How so? Many of the homes now in Nassau are on postage stamp sized lots. You want them to be torn down and built tighter? We have zoning for a reason out here. Many don't want it like NYC!! Period.
No one is proposing this. No one.

The idea is to build somewhat greater density in commercial areas, around transit hubs. Places like Hicksville, Mineola, etc. can easily absorb greater density in their cores, around the LIRR. Young people want walkable urban areas, and access to NYC. They don't cook much, they don't want to mow lawns, or wash their cars in their driveways on weekends. They don't want Levittown.

The Levittown-types areas will be untouched, obviously.

Listen, if you are opposed to this, that's fine. But my point is that you can't fight demographics. Young people, and affluent people, generally don't want traditional suburbia anymore. You can either "go with the flow" or fight it. But if you fight it, you're going to pay more in property taxes, lose home value, lose children to other areas, and live in areas with gradual long-term decline.

IMO if you want to preserve your neighborhoods, the best thing to do is fight for zoning changes for greater density around the commercial hubs. This keeps your neighborhood vibrant and desirable, because growth will be concentrated where it makes the most sense. If you fight all change, and resist global macro trends like where people actually want to live, then there is no positive end-game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No one is proposing this. No one.

The idea is to build somewhat greater density in commercial areas, around transit hubs. Places like Hicksville, Mineola, etc. can easily absorb greater density in their cores, around the LIRR. Young people want walkable urban areas, and access to NYC. They don't cook much, they don't want to mow lawns, or wash their cars in their driveways on weekends. They don't want Levittown.

The Levittown-types areas will be untouched, obviously.

Listen, if you are opposed to this, that's fine. But my point is that you can't fight demographics. Young people, and affluent people, generally don't want traditional suburbia anymore. You can either "go with the flow" or fight it. But if you fight it, you're going to pay more in property taxes, lose home value, lose children to other areas, and live in areas with gradual long-term decline.

IMO if you want to preserve your neighborhoods, the best thing to do is fight for zoning changes for greater density around the commercial hubs. This keeps your neighborhood vibrant and desirable, because growth will be concentrated where it makes the most sense. If you fight all change, and resist global macro trends like where people actually want to live, then there is no positive end-game.
The thing is there are more than just the young crowd to cater to. So I dont think your idea that neighborhood values will go down just because it doesnt appeal to the young crowd. Young people generally are not interested in living in LI or owning and living in a house, they would rather live in a NYC apt or condo. It's the young families with children who move to LI to get that suburbia way of life. The young crowd will eventually get older and settle down into family life and when that happens the suburbia way of life makes more sense. I am in the transitioning stage of my life where I want the quiet suburbia way of life with green and open space that LI has to offer and NYC cannot. I dont want to live in a NYC house and have to worry about outsiders blocking my driveway or playing my music too loud because my next door neighbor has a house within 5 feet from mine. I dont want to see homeless and beggars loitering in the neighborhood. Plus, the schools in NYC pale in comparison with LI for the most part.

Last edited by nyccs; 04-30-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-30-2016, 11:40 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
The thing is there are more than just the young crowd to cater to. Young people generally are not interested in owning and living in a house, they would rather live in an apt or condo. It's the young families with children who move to LI to get that suburbia way of life. The young crowd will eventually get older and settle down into family life and when that happens the suburbia way of life makes more sense. I am in the transitioning stage of my life where I want the quiet suburbia way of life with green and open space that LI has to offer and NYC cannot. I dont want to live in a NYC house and have to worry about outsiders blocking my driveway. I dont want to see homeless and beggars loitering in the neighborhood. Plus, the schools in NYC pale in comparison with LI for the most part.
But this isn't what is happening. As Gen-Xers and Millenialls age, they are keeping their preferences. That's the whole point. They aren't going to live the same way people lived decades ago. Wealthy families with children are choosing Brooklyn over Long Island. They would rather live even in Bed Stuy or Flatbush than in some beige suburb on LI.

Your argument is equivalent to some in 1970 saying "yeah but all the Jews, Italians and Irish leaving the Bronx/Brooklyn are going to get older and then settle down into the old ways, living in tenements and having 10 kids". Nope. That's not what happened. They moved to suburban sprawl, had smaller families, and had totally different lifestyles than their parents and grandparents.

Again, you can't fight demographics. If people don't want sprawl, then sprawl needs to adjust, or it will decline. Simple as that. Current generations don't want the same thing as past generations. Your kids won't have the same lifestyle as you (and their kids won't have the same lifestyle as them). Times change. The only mistake is assuming the future will be the same as the past.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:46 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,350 times
Quote:
But this isn't what is happening. As Gen-Xers and Millenialls age, they are keeping their preferences. That's the whole point. They aren't going to live the same way people lived decades ago. Wealthy families with children are choosing Brooklyn over Long Island. They would rather live even in Bed Stuy or Flatbush than in some beige suburb on LI.

Your argument is equivalent to some in 1970 saying "yeah but all the Jews, Italians and Irish leaving the Bronx/Brooklyn are going to get older and then settle down into the old ways, living in tenements and having 10 kids". Nope. That's not what happened. They moved to suburban sprawl, had smaller families, and had totally different lifestyles than their parents and grandparents.

Again, you can't fight demographics. If people don't want sprawl, then sprawl needs to adjust, or it will decline. Simple as that. Current generations don't want the same thing as past generations. Your kids won't have the same lifestyle as you (and their kids won't have the same lifestyle as them). Times change. The only mistake is assuming the future will be the same as the past.
I contradict your argument then, Im 31 years old with 2 children. I was born and raised in NYC, I want to own and live in LI rather than NYC because of the open space, avoidance to a greater degree of homeless/criminals, and better schools. Yes, I cannot afford most of NYC's houses but I mentioned above why I would rather own and live in LI than live in a dense area like NYC. I dont want to live in the boonies, but as long as my stores and restaurants are within 10-15 min of a drive, then Im good. I'd like to avoid public transportation as much as possible, unless its driving into Manhattan.

Last edited by nyccs; 04-30-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-30-2016, 11:53 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:

Wrong. I'm 35, have 2 young kids and have zero desire to live in NYC anymore. My neighbors are a young millennial family who just moved in and across the street, generation x. All chose the suburbs over the city. I like my yard. I like that my kids have space. I like the peace and quiet. I like actually owning land. There are countless others like us on the island. People who are buying new homes aren't elderly and baby boomers. And they are currently buying at about as fast as houses go on the market in Nassau. You need to stop with the sweeping generalizations that preferences won't change because you like what some urban advocates who hate suburbia said in a village voice article.

And disclaimer: I actually like and have no problem with adding multifamily housing to commercial areas like you have stated.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:08 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Why is it that immigration rules have been so lax for so long?
They've been lax since 1965, as well as various sundry amnesties, refusal to enforce the laws, increasing things like H1-B visas and refugee intake, etc. The Democrats support these things because new (particularly non-white) immigrants vote 70%+ for Democrats. The Republicans support them because their big business donors want cheap labor and more customers for their products. Until this election neither side has run a candidate that actually wants to do something about it.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:10 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
It could just be the people I know. All my friends in the city want out as soon at the kids come. Same as it always was and I don't see that changing Imo.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:36 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Wrong. I'm 35, have 2 young kids and have zero desire to live in NYC anymore. My neighbors are a young millennial family who just moved in and across the street, generation x. All chose the suburbs over the city. I like my yard. I like that my kids have space. I like the peace and quiet. I like actually owning land. There are countless others like us on the island. People who are buying new homes aren't elderly and baby boomers. And they are currently buying at about as fast as houses go on the market in Nassau. You need to stop with the sweeping generalizations that preferences won't change because you like what some urban advocates who hate suburbia said in a village voice article.

And disclaimer: I actually like and have no problem with adding multifamily housing to commercial areas like you have stated.
Ditto all you said. I'm 31. If I had the funds to live in a Brooklyn Heights townhouse maybe i would do so. Barring that, no thanks. Not willing to live in a cramped apartment with no outdoor space while raising a family. The city was fun for me for years and it still is, as a place to visit. Happy to live in the suburbs.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:55 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
It could just be the people I know. All my friends in the city want out as soon at the kids come. Same as it always was and I don't see that changing Imo.
They usually move when they find out how much private schools in the city cost. Unless they're Asian strivers that can test into the good schools.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Tell me which politicians have my views?
It's not which politician has your views. It is who shapes your views. It does not matter which side of the aisle you're on, rather which Pied Piper plays the sweetest tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island