Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 05:15 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's not which politician has your views. It is who shapes your views. It does not matter which side of the aisle you're on, rather which Pied Piper plays the sweetest tune.
That's interesting. I've never even registered to vote so my opinion doesn't mean much. I just want to get in on the fun with the rest of you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 05:48 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
The problem with development for the young singles is by the time this stuff gets built, that generation has gotten older, has kids of their own, and now wants a house. These new construction apartments are just as expensive as many of the apartments found in parts of Brooklyn or Queens. They are not cheap. To afford them, the person would probably have to have a NYC salary, not work on Long Island. Why deal with the commute, the LIRR expense, the extra time, when you are single, just need a place to sleep, when you can live closer to your job for the same rent. If there were a lot of actual high paying jobs on Long Island, then this type of development would make sense.

This type of lifestyle is transitional. Maybe for 5-7 years after a person finishes school. Once a person starts having a family, especially by the second kid, they are going to want a long-term place to live. I know of a few young families with kids who are uber rich and live in some very nice Manhattan apartments. But they also own another house with space, which they use on the weekends and vacations. Most people who live in a 2 bedroom apartment in a building with fire escapes in Queens, the Bronx, Queens, with more than one kid would love OUT.
The new proposed multi-unit housing rents cost close to a monthly mortgage payment on a Long Island house. I grew up as kid in a NYC rental apartment. No thanks.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:45 PM

852 posts, read 969,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The problem with development for the young singles is by the time this stuff gets built, that generation has gotten older, has kids of their own, and now wants a house. These new construction apartments are just as expensive as many of the apartments found in parts of Brooklyn or Queens. They are not cheap. To afford them, the person would probably have to have a NYC salary, not work on Long Island. Why deal with the commute, the LIRR expense, the extra time, when you are single, just need a place to sleep, when you can live closer to your job for the same rent. If there were a lot of actual high paying jobs on Long Island, then this type of development would make sense.

This type of lifestyle is transitional. Maybe for 5-7 years after a person finishes school. Once a person starts having a family, especially by the second kid, they are going to want a long-term place to live. I know of a few young families with kids who are uber rich and live in some very nice Manhattan apartments. But they also own another house with space, which they use on the weekends and vacations. Most people who live in a 2 bedroom apartment in a building with fire escapes in Queens, the Bronx, Queens, with more than one kid would love OUT.
The new proposed multi-unit housing rents cost close to a monthly mortgage payment on a Long Island house. I grew up as kid in a NYC rental apartment. No thanks.
Well said. One of LI's biggest attractions was that it offered a suburban/semi-rural environment only an hour or so from NYC. The American Dream of owning one's own home with some property, and having BBQs, and maybe a pool and a garden, in a quiet neighborhood with streets with little traffic where the kids could play- all for far less than the cost of living in NYC.

Fast-forward to today- or worse: Tomorrow, those advantages are only accessible to a small percentage- and affordable or not, who wants to travel 60+ miles from their NYC job to live in an apartment, in a place which is increasingly looking more like the City than LI?

And it is likely because of this, that we see the reverse trend of the last 15 years or so, in which increasingly, young LIers are migrating to Brooklyn and Queens. And it's just goijng to get worse, as LI gets even more over-developed and more expensive while losing the business and industry and middle class which once kept it alive.

The only reason they call the new apartments "affordable" is because when they are unable to rent half of them on the private market, they turn them into Section 8 low-income subsidized units. Yeah, there's nothing like paying $2700 a month rent so that you can live nextdoor to some ghetto-dweller with 6 kids who pays $250 a month in rent while your taxes pay the rest.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:49 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
Why deal with the commute, the LIRR expense, the extra time, when you are single, just need a place to sleep, when you can live closer to your job for the same rent. If there were a lot of actual high paying jobs on Long Island, then this type of development would make sense.
To attract the kind of landlords who will accept section 8. Basically it's about exporting NYC QOL without NYC money.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:57 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Why is there no affordable housing for young adults on LI??

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
The problem with development for the young singles is by the time this stuff gets built, that generation has gotten older, has kids of their own, and now wants a house.
Again, this isn't an issue, because you are making the same faulty assumption as others.

You're assuming that current and future generations have the exact same lifestyle preferences as past generations. We know this to not be true. When young families have kids, they want to stay in NYC, which is why the school-age population has been exploding in affluent areas of Manhattan/Brooklyn, while affluent suburban districts are closing schools.

We know that as Gen-Xers and Millennials age, they have different housing preferences than their predecessors. Assuming they'll have the same housing preferences as Baby Boomers is as nonsensical as assuming Baby Boomers wanted to live in South Bronx tenements like their parents and grandparents.

We know that homebuyers under the age of 50 have very different housing preferences than over 50, which is exactly why urban, transit oriented areas, like Brooklyn, have exploding property values, and suburban, sprawly areas like Dix Hills have lagging property values.

And when these cohorts move to the suburbs, we see them moving into "Brooklyn lite" suburbs, not into the traditional sprawl. The hottest suburbs in the region are places like Montclair, NJ, Maplewood, NJ and the like. Urban suburbia, with walkability, heavy train service, downtowns, etc. The hottest suburbs on LI are those along train lines.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:

And then the next generation of young singles move in, so what's the problem. I'm not sure why someone would rent a Long Island apartment at NYC prices, though there are obviously some high-paying jobs on Long Island, some may be native Long Islanders who wish to be close to friends and family but not have their own house nor live with their parents, etc. But there's clearly a market for them, otherwise they wouldn't be able to command those rents. Demand not too high, but supply is low. So as long as there's a market for the proposed housing, it clearly does make sense.

Also, increasing the housing supply reduces pressure to increase rents: supply & demand; some people don't want to own a home right away and the high housing costs make Long Island unattractive. I grew up on Long Island; I'd consider moving back there more if rentals weren't so expensive.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:55 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
It could just be the people I know. All my friends in the city want out as soon at the kids come. Same as it always was and I don't see that changing Imo.
I believe what you say, but you're confusing personal anecdote with actual Census-verified data. Yes, there are many, many people who like sprawly suburbia even today, just like there were millions of people happily living in NYC in the 1970's.

The point is that the overall macro trends point to radical changes in lifestyle preferences, and LI is already being left behind. The question is how people want to respond to these changes. Putting your head in the sand because you may personally like sprawl isn't a reasonable response, just like saying "everything's fine, I'm happy in NYC just as it is" wouldn't have been a reasonable response in the 1970's. LI needs to adapt.

It is changing for the better, though. I think people are waking up to the importance of transit-oriented development.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Stable means stagnant. No growth. This is not normal.

In the past, the suburbs had 100% of the tri-state regional growth. NYC was stagnant/declining. Now NYC has 100% of the tri-state regional growth, and the suburbs are stagnant/declining.
The NYC suburbs had empty land to build on, now there is little to none. NYC allows more infill growth.

Quote:
You can rationalize all you want, but no population growth, no jobs growth, young people leaving, rich people leaving, rising property taxes and lagging property values are all very bad indicators. Long Island needs to change, or it will be left behind.
I agree the job growth and young population leaving is troubling. I suspect Long Island is losing the less affluent compared to the more affluent (and when I meant more affluent I'm not talking about the top 1% or 5% but those closer to the island median). Are Long Island property values lagging? Appears to be stagnating:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...sing/overview/

but home values are quite high already and high property taxes make it harder for them to rise. The NYC number reflect only single-family homes, though I assume apartments have a similar trend.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And then the next generation of young singles move in, so what's the problem. I'm not sure why someone would rent a Long Island apartment at NYC prices, though there are obviously some high-paying jobs on Long Island, some may be native Long Islanders who wish to be close to friends and family but not have their own house nor live with their parents, etc. But there's clearly a market for them, otherwise they wouldn't be able to command those rents. Demand not too high, but supply is low. So as long as there's a market for the proposed housing, it clearly does make sense.

Also, increasing the housing supply reduces pressure to increase rents: supply & demand; some people don't want to own a home right away and the high housing costs make Long Island unattractive. I grew up on Long Island; I'd consider moving back there more if rentals weren't so expensive.
Long Island does have some decent employment centers like in Garden Coty, Farmingdale/Melville and Happaugue. Lack of decent rentals and walkable communities undoubtedly puts these employers at a disadvantage attracting younger talented workers. That can't really be in dispute. Long Island is not fundamentally broken -people still want houses- but there certainly is demand for decent apartments in downtown areas. I don't think LI apartment living would be attractive to most young people working in the city, but for younger professionals on LI who don't want to make the reverse commute, absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island