Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 07:54 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times

Advertisements

Walter,That footnote was funny. So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
It's not about whether people in all-white towns are members of the KKK. I daresay most aren't. But if you are a white person living in an almost entirely white town, you don't have the same firsthand experience of race as someone who is not white or lives in an integrated community. Sure, you hear the stories about GCPD or what happens in the parks; but that's excused as working to keep the community safe for the residents.

Someone in that position saying that what we need to do is get past race is naive. I've seen what happens when a white person tries to say it to someone of another race, and by and large, the outcome is bad. Very bad.
1. Every human has different experiences. We all face adversity on many levels. Some people face adversity because of their weight, their looks, their job, their status in life, their faith, their disabilities, their beliefs, their intellect, etc. Assuming race is still a factor in adversity, why should it trump all others? Why should the poor white boy from West Virginia be given any less deference that a young black boy on Long Island? I dare say discrimination based on socioeconomic factors is much worse than any other form of discrimination.

2. If we "don't get past" race, then we will get nowhere in this country. If blacks take your stance and simply feel sorry for themselves and play the victim mentality all the time, they will be worse off for it. We all faced adversity in life on some levels. We had to "get past it" or we would have drown in life. This is no different. The sooner the race card stops getting dealt..the sooner that the race club stops hitting people over the head...the sooner we can get rid of resentment on both sides, heal, and go forward.

3. Let's follow your assumption that Garden City is not "diverse" enough. First off, I don't know what that means. What would be diverse enough for you? Clearly, differences in ethnicity, professions, background, national origin, and religion aren't enough for you. The real determining factor is color of skin. Is there a percentage of certain racial origins that, if met by GC, would satisfy you? If so, what are they?

4. Trying to paint Garden City as a bastion of close minded people is actually counter-productive to your goals. You do nothing more than scare off any hard working productive families who happen to be of a different race. How do you expect Garden City to meet your ideals, when you keep painting a picture of an intolerant place? You are carrying through a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitch73 View Post
It's interesting that just because you are looking for diversity (whether it is across race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.), some immediately assume you are the minority looking for others like yourself. If that is what I was looking for, then I would have posted "I am looking for an (insert race, ethnicity) town."

But I digress...Smash255, it's kind of you to offer the voter data from 2000. I'd love to see it. Many thanks.
Fact finder is down right now (what I use to get the data of what precincts are in Valley Stream) but once its back up I'll go through it and try to find the numbers for you.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Not true. Even in towns with a progressive bent, like the one I live in, there is a vocal conservative population, and many other diverging opinions, all welcome and respected. However it is true, as I said previously, that I feel comfortable that my child will be raised among other children whose parents share similar values.
I do want to point out that while it might not always be the case, most of the more conservative portions of Long Island tend to be more fiscally conservative than socially conservative.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 AM

189 posts, read 632,976 times
My vote is for Long Beach. 66% voted for Obama.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
PW is nice, but be very particular about what area you look in Port Washington. It wouldn't do to find what you think is an "affordable" house and then once you move in realize it was affordable because it's on the same block with illegal boarding houses overfilled with illegal alien men and gangbangers. Unfortunately, the areas of PW where you are guaranteed not to have this are quite expensive, but if you have a lot of money to spend on a house, go for one of those areas. Talk to the Precinct in Port Washington about what they are doing regarding illegal aliens and street gangs. There have been some areas chock full of them in PW, but a poster on this board says the cops are cracking down on them and have made progress. So find out what's happening now.

VS does not have illegal alien flophouses and gangs because the Village cracks down on overcrowding. I never see graffiti (a surefire sign of the presence of gangbangers, they eat, sleep and breathe graffiti). I have asked people on here to let me know if they see any graffiti in VS and tell me where it is so I can raise hell with Village Hall and nobody has yet. I have several distractors that do not like VS because "it's changed" (code for more minorities) and they would be thrilled to tell me this, I assure you.
You've got to be kidding me! Valley Stream is way worse than any neighborhood in Port Washington. I'm EXTREMELY INSULTED!

We don't have "Gangbangers" in Port Washington. There hasn't been a shooting in the 10 years I've lived here. There are few streets with concentrations of Illegals that is true, but we don't have the high profile crime that is a common, almost daily occurance in Valley Stream.

There are two houses on my street that are priced under $400K. So there are safe affordable neighborhoods in Port. My street is full of families, not illegals living flophouses. A majority of the people are white and middle class. I think you need to visit the north shore more often!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
Quote:
Not true. Even in towns with a progressive bent, like the one I live in, there is a vocal conservative population, and many other diverging opinions, all welcome and respected. However it is true, as I said previously, that I feel comfortable that my child will be raised among other children whose parents share similar values.
Why do you want everyone to think like you do? I lean to the left on some issues, to the right on others. I want my child to hear both sides of the story and I'm glad I live in a place where both are respected.

The fact that everyone is moving into enclaves where everyone thinks like they do is part of the problem with this country, not the solution.

It's a problem among both liberals and conservatives.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
You've got to be kidding me! Valley Stream is way worse than any neighborhood in Port Washington.

Port North, it depends on YOUR definition of Valley Stream, and I_Love_LI_but, it depends on YOUR definition of Port Washington.

< > The Village of Valley Stream (2,258 acres) is just 52% of the places that have a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 or 11581" mailing address (4,309 acres).

< > The Hamlet of Port Washington (2,732 acres) is just 41% of the places that have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address (6,652 acres) and 67% of the Port Washington Special Police District (4,056 acres).

Old 10-14-2009, 11:57 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
You've got to be kidding me! Valley Stream is way worse than any neighborhood in Port Washington. I'm EXTREMELY INSULTED!

We don't have "Gangbangers" in Port Washington. There hasn't been a shooting in the 10 years I've lived here. There are few streets with concentrations of Illegals that is true, but we don't have the high profile crime that is a common, almost daily occurance in Valley Stream.

There are two houses on my street that are priced under $400K. So there are safe affordable neighborhoods in Port. My street is full of families, not illegals living flophouses. A majority of the people are white and middle class. I think you need to visit the north shore more often!
#1: I don't know anything about your particular neighborhood in PW. They vary greatly from homes for the wealthy to lower middle/working class. I told the OP that if she had a lot of money to spend she wouldn't have to worry about being near illegal aliens and gangbangers. So please do not assume I am insulting you personally and I want to trash the whole place. I think PW has some very pretty areas. YOU have discussed illegal aliens and gangbangers in PW in past threads very openly. Why the change? Are you trying to sell your house now? I also added the disclaimer (referring to something you yourself posted in the past) to indicate that PW is supposed to be making progress with this situation when I said:

Talk to the Precinct in Port Washington about what they are doing regarding illegal aliens and street gangs. There have been some areas chock full of them in PW, but a poster on this board says the cops are cracking down on them and have made progress. So find out what's happening now.

You yourself said the below earlier in this thread because you know there is a great divide between the wealthy of PW and the rest of PW and that for average folks looking for a well-priced home it is harder than in other towns because they have to run the gauntlet avoiding the areas where the illegal servants of PW's wealthy live and the resultant social problems (property crimes, gangs, home invasions):

There are affordable homes on decent streets in Port Washington. You have to look a little harder though than other towns but believe me it is worth it!

#2: There are many threads on City-Data discussing the illegal aliens, crime and gang problems, some of which you posted to admitting that they are there. All the OP has to do is run a search on "Port Washington" and find threads discussing it. They run the gamut from:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...2-million.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...d-you-buy.html

To:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ashington.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...w-bashing.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ter-worse.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...less-safe.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...e-housing.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...on-please.html

As for Valley Stream, if the OP searches on that she will find that the trashing is mostly because we have more blacks than most places. Regarding "high profile" crime here, of course the Wal-Mart stampede that killed a man would be covered in the news! Things happen everywhere. We do not put up with any illegal alien flophouses or gangbangers here.

If the OP reads threads condemning Valley Stream on here, I am sure she is intelligent enough to conclude that the vast majority of the criticism is based on racism against blacks and other minorities. If not, why do people post anything in Newsday that a black did wrong in VS and not post anything in Newsday that a white did wrong in VS? That happens on here constantly.

Valley Stream is a lot different than Port Washington because we are a middle class community. We have no places for the rich like PW does. Nor do we have any housing projects for the poor like PW does. We have a couple of upper middle class neighborhoods, but the homes certainly do not run in the millions like the elite areas of Port Washington do. Port Washington, in contrast, runs the gamut from the wealthy to the illegal aliens scraping by. In Valley Stream, we are not slowly but surely being squeezed out of our neighborhoods by slumlords renting single family homes out to 30 people at a time, while the wealthy neighborhoods stay idyllic.

Perhaps you should get active in your community if you want the affordable parts of PW to improve and stay that way.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Port North,

I agree wholeheartedly. I said so as much earlier in this thread. People do want to live in enclaves with others that simply reinforce their own biases and never question their beliefs.

I've lived in Europe, New Orleans, and now New York. These are some of the most politically liberal places you could find. As a conservative, I think it's important to understand the strengths and failings of the other side.

I don't think liberal parents need to worry about how their children will be shaped. Schools, teacher's unions, universities all have an overwhelming liberal bias. (The video of that teacher having those students worship Obama was pretty bad.) If anything, those parents probably should be concerned that their children don't hear the opposing viewpoint so they can make their mind up on their own. Indoctrination is never a healthy thing.

I read the Guardian, the NY Times, the Wall St. Journal, the Financial Times. I watch MSNBC, CNN, and yes, Fox News. It's the only way to separate the BS from the truth anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island