Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Sports riots are a human thing. They happen all over the world. In some cases, they are worse than the one from the Lakers game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:15 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
[quote=SoCal35;14675747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Same thing that allowed the Rodney King riots in 92. An underclass in LA looking for *any* excuse to cause damage. Even after a Laker *victory*. Haha.

Why would you want to get hauled off to jail after your team *Won*? Does that make any sense?

quote]

As was noted by another poster, this is NOT unique to LA.

There are plenty of idiots in other cities that do the same thing when their team wins.....happened in Pittsburgh when the Steelers won the Superbowl in 09 and Boston in 08 when the Celtics beat the Lakers.

I am NOT making excuses...just pointing out that a "Sports Riot" is not unique to LA.

Charles posted this link which I thought explained the mind set pretty well:

Sports Riots: The Psychology of Fan Mayhem
True, but I think there are a lot of cities, where you wouldn't find rioting. Portland? Dallas? Kansas City? Omaha?

Plenty of cities with sports teams. It's funny, why aren't there riots after college games? College fans (football or basketball) are rabid and dedicated.

Why aren't there riots after the Rosebowl?

Why aren't there riots after the Olympics?

Why aren't there riots after the Masters, US Open, or even boxing matches in Vegas. I dont think there ever been a riot on the streets of Vegas (for any event) the way there has been in downtown LA.

I know Tyson fights in the 90's drew a somewhat aggressive crowd. But I dont think any of those lead to as many arrests as these laker riots. And they didnt happen over such a wide area.

Why aren't there riots after the final four, or college basketball championship? Esp in states like north carolina, with a lack of pro teams, there are more rabid, die hard college fans.

These laker "fans" are at the tail end of what truely constitutes a "fan", by the national standard. 1/2 drunk, 1/2 hooliganism, and about 1/16 real laker fans, if that. If I was hurt down there after the game (after having attended it), I would really think about suing AEG, or holding them liable. Or someone liable. You should be safe like that in a public area.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
[quote=John23;14679159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post

True, but I think there are a lot of cities, where you wouldn't find rioting. Portland? Dallas? Kansas City? Omaha?

Plenty of cities with sports teams. It's funny, why aren't there riots after college games? College fans (football or basketball) are rabid and dedicated.

Why aren't there riots after the Rosebowl?

Why aren't there riots after the Olympics?

Why aren't there riots after the Masters, US Open, or even boxing matches in Vegas. I dont think there ever been a riot on the streets of Vegas (for any event) the way there has been in downtown LA.

I know Tyson fights in the 90's drew a somewhat aggressive crowd. But I dont think any of those lead to as many arrests as these laker riots. And they didnt happen over such a wide area.

Why aren't there riots after the final four, or college basketball championship? Esp in states like north carolina, with a lack of pro teams, there are more rabid, die hard college fans.

These laker "fans" are at the tail end of what truely constitutes a "fan", by the national standard. 1/2 drunk, 1/2 hooliganism, and about 1/16 real laker fans, if that. If I was hurt down there after the game (after having attended it), I would really think about suing AEG, or holding them liable. Or someone liable. You should be safe like that in a public area.
When was the last time a Portland or Omaha team won a national championship?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a riot on the campus of a college that just won a national championship.

Here are a couple of examples:

YouTube - University of Minnesota Hockey Riots

YouTube - The Penn State Riot

YouTube - Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Protesters riot party downtown

YouTube - 2010 WINTER OLYMPICS RIOT!?!?!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 PM

293 posts, read 893,555 times
Talking Yep!

They stand corrected, thank you for educating this folks.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:48 AM

4 posts, read 4,448 times
it is really sad we won !!!!!!!!!! we should be celebrating in a nice manner not this way

Old 06-19-2010, 05:07 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Regarding why the rioting, I have no idea. I don't even like basketball.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times
The police used tear gas and rubber bullets? show some ba*** and cap some buckshot in their as***. That should help reduce the violence next time.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
These laker "fans" are at the tail end of what truely constitutes a "fan", by the national standard. 1/2 drunk, 1/2 hooliganism, and about 1/16 real laker fans, if that.
And then there are the other, normal fans. Too bad they didn't get a chance to celebrate the Lakers' victory in a non-violent way. (IMO, testosterone and crowd mentality just don't explain this. I truly don't believe that the violent "fans" just needed a crowd to do what they did. In some other way, those "fans" are missing a few chips mentally.)
Sharing a win they didn't see - latimes.com

Old 06-19-2010, 08:11 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
If you look at the footage, who is doing the damage? Young men. That's it. And these guys were just using the Lakers' win as an excuse. Large, mostly male crowd + alcohol = bad outcome!

Actually, it bothers me that "mob mentality" is supposed to be an excuse and some sort of free pass. If my son had been involved in this and he called me from jail, I'd leave him there! Anyone in those crowds could have simply walked away if they chose to.

The LAPD should have been more prepared and hired extra officers from other cities if they had to. And none of this BS about having to ask for permission to step up the weapons, either! What if an officer had been killed while permission was being asked?

How did our society become this way? I know that rioting has become more prevalent in recent years, and it doesn't matter whether the team won or lost, but since when did the very social structure disappear? There was a time when this wouldn't have happened, because only a select few would dare do it, and they'd get in serious trouble as a result! Media coverage doesn't help, either, unless the footage is simply used to catch and incarcerate the troublemakers. Glorify the hoodlums; get them on camera. Great idea!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:25 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
[quote=John23;14679159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post

There are lots of college sports riots. They probably don't get as much media attention. Indiana University, University of Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, University of Maryland, University of Arizona, etc... are just some of the universities where rioting took place after sporting events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles