Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 06:20 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
LA is not that fake. It's a pretty fine city overall. Even the hollywood crowd.

I find LA natives are pretty genuine. We sometimes get these out of towners who come in and intentionally act "fake" because they think they have to. Like the people who try to become models and actors. From podunk indiana or something. and they adopt this new persona because they THINK that is what LA is about

Real fakeness? Go to Europe. That is chillingly, disturbingly fake.

Or go to philly, boston, detroit, parts of NYC, and deal with rude dangerous people.
+1

I have to agree. The only fake people are the transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I think a lot of the perception is merely appearance. With the exception of the Wilshire District, L.A. doesn't really have a skyline like back east, "real" cities do. It's primarily a lower-case sprawl. Back in the day (40s, 50s and 60s) there was the much envied "pueblo" affect that made it unique and noteworthy with a great deal of Mediterranean architecture that punched it up but those attributes have faded and become lost in all too many areas. Anymore, L.A. has become a loosely-joined collection of districts and neighborhoods rather than a cohesive city in the minds of many.

As for the "plastic" people, they're in no way all that much more predominate than you'll find in other urban areas throughout the country. They just get more press!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,060 times
You know what is so funny when I moved here 3 years ago I use to say the same thing about L.A., that L.A. was soooooo "fake" so "plastic".
But the more I think about it, those so called "fake" things, behaviors are so REAL.

Los Angeles is so real in the sense of the real world: the super rich, the super poor, the super bull**** that is necessaary for business, the images that are sold to all us Americans and the world. All that is sooooooooooo REAL.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,139 times
Lots of people like to compare Los Angeles to New York and what they're really comparing is Hollywood and Manhattan which any native of either city will tell you are not really what either city is about.

Wanna hear fake? The theater industry in New York pans anything that L.A. has to offer while many playwrites open their plays in Los Angeles to test their success (it's also cheaper) and then take them to New York.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
I am originally from Redondo Beach in Los Angeles. Currenly I live in New Orleans. But lived in Los Angeles most of my life....I have to admit it is by far one of the most pretentious places in the world. People are just not real....most things people tell you is total B.S. Everyone is pretending to be somthing they are NOT....there is also a sense that the men have become so soft to please the ladies they do not remember how to be men anymore. METRO/SOFT....the men and the women are confused....who is suppose to DO WHAT? There is know sense of traditional family value....also Los Angeles really does not have a soul....unless you dig thru the fake persona and fake boobs you might find a half a decent person in there....I have traveled most of the world and seriously Los Angeles grow up!!!! You are not THE HILLS or any of those other reality shows....most people with any real talent are NOT even from Los Angeles....very sad. With all that said....I STILL LOVE LOS ANGELES!!!! But it need a good kick in th ass.....

Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakersrock1996 View Post
I am originally from Redondo Beach in Los Angeles. Currenly I live in New Orleans. But lived in Los Angeles most of my life....I have to admit it is by far one of the most pretentious places in the world. People are just not real....most things people tell you is total B.S. Everyone is pretending to be somthing they are NOT....there is also a sense that the men have become so soft to please the ladies they do not remember how to be men anymore. METRO/SOFT....the men and the women are confused....who is suppose to DO WHAT? There is know sense of traditional family value....also Los Angeles really does not have a soul....unless you dig thru the fake persona and fake boobs you might find a half a decent person in there....I have traveled most of the world and seriously Los Angeles grow up!!!! You are not THE HILLS or any of those other reality shows....most people with any real talent are NOT even from Los Angeles....very sad. With all that said....I STILL LOVE LOS ANGELES!!!! But it need a good kick in th ass.....
A lot of stereotypes in this one. Sounds like you hung out with people who work, are would like to work, in the entertainment industry. There are over 8 million people in the area. They're all alike? Are you talking about everyone in the City of Los Angeles? Or County? Or all of Southern California (which people sometimes people think of when saying "Los Angeles"). Maybe you just don't like modern women and men who accommodate them. Might I suggest a Muslim country (not just any Muslim country, but a conservative one like Saudi Arabaia or Iran) for your enjoyment? You won't have men becoming weak to please their women.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:33 PM

56 posts, read 126,649 times
... I haven't found people in Los Angeles to be much different than people from anywhere. Maybe when people talk "fake", they're talking about affluent people associated with the entertainment industry. But that's not even a significant segment of the population of L.A.. It's like thinking NYC is full of rich stock brokers. what.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
I really think this 'real' tag means, by definition that we are not laid out like Boston or Chicago, or other developed cities on the East Coast. Ergo, we are not authentic somehow. The irony is that THAT assertion is shallow and not alittle bit lazy. So, if L.A. doesn't resemble NYC then it isn't 'real' and neither are the people who live here?! Cleveland isn't like L.A.? Big deal, good for them. Good for us.

My parents migrated here from Boston in the 50's to escape that rigid way of thinking. I'm glad they did.

To chariega: its funny, I was in DC in 2008 and the people seemed awfully insular and shallow to me. I loved the City itself, and the locals hanging out at the local farmer's markets with their kids in tow were great. It's the ones out in the bars and diners who wouldn't give me the time of day.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 PM

208 posts, read 419,223 times
Definitely NOT Atlanta! Atlanta is the ghetto version of fake it till you make it. What people in Atlanta consider "real" is when you say "keeping it real" before every other sentence and walking around with a chip on your shoulder and rude attitute is also their version of "real". Oh, and also driving fast like you gotta get somewhere and then you pull up behind the same person 5 minutes later at a convenient store or fast food drive in...

Old 11-25-2011, 09:00 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
There is know sense of traditional family value.... unless you dig thru
Yep, you DID grow up there.

Quote:
unless you dig thru the fake persona and fake boobs you might find a half a decent person in there....
You leave my fake boobs alone, little mister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles