Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostangeles View Post
Check out this map of homicides the gang violence and shootings are as bad as ever with over 500 homicides.
As bad as EVER? In the early 90s there were 1000 homicides yearly. While gang problems are still horrendous and there is too much crime in general, it was certainly worse 15 years ago.

You obviously weren't here in the first half of the 90s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 17,661 times
it just all depends on where you live! i lived all over los angeles city and county! it just all depends where you live! if you live in the south or east and some of west of los angeles thats where all the ghettos are! i lived in ghettos all my life it aint that fun walking down the street at night cause your worried if some gang banger is going to hit you up and stick a gun in your face for being out to late or walking down there street or alley for a short cut home. and some of that los angeles map is wrong it doesnt even have all the worst cities its missing a lot of cities like bell(gardens), south gate, hunington park, pico rivera!, may wood those cities are really bad!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:00 PM

156 posts, read 558,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-dude View Post
oh plz and nowhere else in the country has crime. Southern California has 18 million people, what do you expect, you're always going to have a few bad apples in the bunch.
i agree...

Old 02-13-2008, 06:03 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-dude View Post
oh plz and nowhere else in the country has crime. Southern California has 18 million people, what do you expect, you're always going to have a few bad apples in the bunch. Am I saying that we should not try to do anything to curb the problem? Absolutely not. I'm just saying that if you live in a very high population area then there most definately will be some crime. If you can't stand life in a large metropolitan area, and don't want to do anything about it(standing up for your community etc...), then please move far away to some rural area in Montana. I'm sorry but it just really ticks me off when people want the benefits of living in a large metro but can't seem to grapple with big city problems. There are things you can do beside complaining you know.
It's a whole Ha of allot more than a few.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:13 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
That's so true...I also used to live in L.A County and i've never had any problems with Crimes or Gangs....I have friends that still live in L.A and they also never experienced any problems with Gangs or Crime,so yup it all depends on your location that makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomed View Post
it just all depends on where you live! i lived all over los angeles city and county! it just all depends where you live!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Homicides are the lowest since the 50's. Read the paper.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:52 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Homicides are the lowest since the 50's. Read the paper.
Yep, it's true! Obviously the original poster had no clue of how this city used to be crime-wise. It is safer now than it has been in most of our lifetimes. In fact, Los Angeles is safer than most major metropolitan areas in the United States, including but definitely not limited to Minneapolis, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Atlanta, the list goes on and on. I feel safer here now in 2008 than I have at any other point in my life.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Look at a city like St Louis. St Louis is the 2nd most dangerous city in the country.(It was #1 last year) They may have about 100 homicides in a year. Now look at the populations. Millions vs 300,000.

Of course the murder rate is going to be high in LA. The population is high. Every large city has crime. LA actually has less when you look at percentage though.

Here's the easiest way not to get shot: Don't join a gang! How many are killed every year for no reason? It's a very small percentage of those numbers. Don't ask for trouble and you won't have any. I'm sure most people moving to LA from other parts of the US aren't going to move to the ghettos anyway. There would be no point.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM

56 posts, read 98,789 times
I know people who moved out of L.A. because there's too many mexicans there, illegal and legal. Many look and act like thugs, and make the area they're in look like a third-world armpit. I see it as a U.S. Army problem. Put U.S. tanks and the American Army at the border and blow Mexico away as the country tries to invade us.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xino View Post
Put U.S. tanks and the American Army at the border and blow Mexico away as the country tries to invade us.

That's the expensive, low effectiveness way. (And I think the problem is going to get a lot worse once Mexico starts running out of oil.)
"The Oil and Gas Journal (OGJ) estimated that as of 2007, Mexico had 12.4 billion barrels of proven oil reserves. Mexico was the sixth-largest oil producer in the world as of 2006, producing 3.71 million barrels per day. However, at that rate its oil reserves represent only a 9 year supply of oil, and Mexican oil production has started to decline rapidly. The US Energy Information Administration estimates that Mexican production will decline to 3.52 million barrels per day in 2007 and 3.32 million barrels per day in 2008." from Country Analysis Briefs. Energy Information Administration (2007).
There are high tech, high effectiveness, lower cost ways like SBInet.

This is being looked at very seriously.

SBInet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Border Security (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/sbi/sbinet_information/ - broken link)

Using this kind of technology (unmanned aerial vehicles)

Last edited by Charles; 02-16-2008 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles