Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,624,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
What he/she/it said. I date back to shopping at Prado Market (the pre-TJ name) in Santa Ana, and there was always a crowd. What was different from today was the douchebag percentage.
but way back then i bet most of the ppl shopping at "alternative" markets like TJ's were annoying hippies & beatniks

btw, nobody here in LA has a right to complain of crowding at any TJ's until they've tried shopping at locations in Manhattan. OMG.... twice i've been to the store in Union Sq and there was a freakin line to just get in! And my friend says that there have been times where the cashier line is so long that ppl immediately line up to pay & pick up items as the queue snakes its way through the aisles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,593 times
So I went to the TJ's on Olympic during lunch and the parking situation is much better than the one on Pico. Probably 3-4X as many parking spots. The store is a lot bigger too but there's still traffic jams in certain spots. The checkout lines move pretty fast at both places even when they're crowded.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
btw, nobody here in LA has a right to complain of crowding at any TJ's until they've tried shopping at locations in Manhattan.
I don't care what life is like in Manhattan. We like how L.A. is spread out more so; if we wanted to be packed like sardines everywhere we'd choose to live in Manhattan rather than L.A.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
So I went to the TJ's on Olympic during lunch and the parking situation is much better than the one on Pico. Probably 3-4X as many parking spots. The store is a lot bigger too but there's still traffic jams in certain spots. The checkout lines move pretty fast at both places even when they're crowded.
Thanks for the recon. Now let's bury this thread before the hordes find it and the Olympic store becomes just as bad as the Pico store.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
but way back then i bet most of the ppl shopping at "alternative" markets like TJ's were annoying hippies & beatniks
No, most of them were cleanly-cut, well-scrubbed, attractive and alluring sexy beasts, much like I was back then with my movie star good looks and my good bag and cheap shoes.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,139 times
Having been in Nashville, TN for the past year, where there is only 1 TJs (and they can only sell beer - state law anything but beer you have to go to a liquor store), I'm happy to once again have them close by. Their produce is reasonably priced all the time (no need to wait for a sale at Ralph's), the liquor is cheaper, they have better quality frozen foods, items that are deemed "gourmet" and cost a fortune at other stores are available and reasonably priced at TJs. I have never had a rude cashier there - always very nice and personable. And my cat loves the "tuna for cats" catfood (she is very finicky).

Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 PM

611 posts, read 1,601,395 times
I live within a 2 mile radius of four trader joes in west hollywood. Parking is atrocious at all of them but the one I frequent most is luckily just a block up so I just walk. And all 4 of them are equally jam packed at all hours.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Is there a Trader Joe's that isn't overcrowded?
In LA, not so much. In Orange County they have some that have parking lots twice as large with half the customers.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
That TJ's is a **** show. Parking is a mess, people fighting (literally) over parking spots, cars causing backups on Pico trying to turn into the parking lot, small facility itself. When we lived in SM, we would go to the one in Westchester, on weekends, when we were in the area, from time to time. Otherwise, avoided TJ's for this reason. Now, in OC, there are a few which are much more bearable.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
In LA, not so much. In Orange County they have some that have parking lots twice as large with half the customers.
That's how the one is on the Palos Verdes peninsula as well, not to mention the aisles are wider and you don't hear the words "excuse me" every 5 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles