Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Sorry, but I love TJs.
I think we all do or we wouldn't shop there. No other competitor beats their prices, products and friendly employees. And if you read their Fearless Flyer, you can see how they really work to find those products and keep them at such competitive prices (like a bag of GOOD avocados for the same price as one lousy one at a giant supermarket). Regarding pricing: How Does Trader Joe
(But we can still complain about their parking lots. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM

40 posts, read 84,425 times
I've been to a TJs in San Francisco where they hire a person to direct traffic in the parking lot, and people just wait in line in the street to get in. What a horrible job that would be. At least its not the Whole Foods parking lot:
Whole Foods Parking Lot - Music Video [HD] - YouTube

Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
Last time I stopped at Trader joe's in West Des Moines IA there was a wait time of about 15 seconds.

Very busy when it opened, but that was it.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,444 times
And what isn't too crowded in L.A? Especially in WLA, where lots of money havers live?
That's what goes with living in or near the City. Go near L.A. Brea and Melrose, Westwood, Venice Beach,The Media Center, etc... Happening spots where people love to hang out and find reasons to shop. I dig all that, but I still need more patience with traffic and waiting in long lines, crowds... The only reasons I no longer live there. But one should never imagine being the only one who loves L.A.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,730 times
I always make it a point to hit the TJ's in Arroyo Grande when I'm on the Central Coast. Big store in a shopping center, so plenty of parking. Stock up time.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
One of the annoyances is probably half of TJ/WF shoppers go there to make an experience out of it. The amount of people on their phones always seems significantly higher than average as well in either of those, opposed to other grocery stores. Those stores are usually in yuppie neighborhoods as well, but I've noticed the attitude is a bit toned down when you goto one in a yuppie suburb.

There's a reason for that, we've been programmed to believe there's something really awesome about being on the phone while you're looking through multiple varieties of quinoa.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,445 times
Isn't that the Trader Joe's that's across the street from that French Pastry place?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
One of the annoyances is probably half of TJ/WF shoppers go there to make an experience out of it.
It's mostly because they're aren't that many TJ's compared to big box supermarkets so they tend to be crowded. Even my old TJ's in the inland empire was pretty busy although nothing like the west side stores. If you cram that many people into a small space don't be surprised when it turns into a Monty Python sketch.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Trader Joe's never has sales and clearance either. That just rubs me the wrong way somehow.

Even Whole Foods has sales and Costco sends out coupons like once a month.
costco isn't a specialty store like T Joes and Whole foods..Of course they send coupons, just like Sam's. I love bargains, take advantage of them as often as possible but I don't expect them at a place like T Joes. Even fact I never even thought about that. If I want specials I will go to Aldi's, owned by the same family, but totally different concept.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
It appears that Aldi will be taking over many of the Fresh and Easy Shops.

Even though Aldi is owned by the same parent corporation as TJ is is an entirely different concept. Lots of very weird "off brands" that are packaged to look like familiar name brands.

Shopping for groceries an an Aldi feels like shopping for food at a dollar store.

If Fresh and Easy couldn't make it in SoCal, im not sure Aldi will, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles