Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM

632 posts, read 1,031,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

If Fresh and Easy couldn't make it in SoCal, im not sure Aldi will, either.
What the heck is an Aldi? Never heard of it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
ALL the Trader Joe's are too crowded, aisles too narrow. It's part of their corporate posture of pretending to be a folksy neighborhood store, instead of the giant corporation that they truly are.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
What the heck is an Aldi? Never heard of it before.
It's a weird discount grocery owned by TJ and nothing to write home about.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM

10 posts, read 41,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Another (GOOD) reason to get out of L.A!
We are so out of California after 58 Years. Goin back to Houston…

Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 PM

10 posts, read 41,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Nah. 25 years ago, Trader Joe's was still packed! (You just weren't around then, right? )
The only TJ's I remember 25 years or more in SoCal were in, what were, the burbs. These were in Alhambra, Monterey Park, & other San Gabriel and San Fernando Valley locations.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
you'd think those famously efficient Germans who own TJs could figure out the parking dilemma...

Inside the secret world of Trader Joe's - Aug. 23, 2010

Trader Joe's

Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Haha, I've noticed that and rarely go to that location.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:44 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i've been to both locations you mentioned and olympic is much newer, so it's laid out better. however, parking is on the roof and is also limited. and if you think the SM location is bad, make sure you don't go to the encino location. it's about the same size as SM with about the same amount of parking, but it's right off a freeway exit and next to gas stations, so don't even bother going during the evening commute hours. just getting into the parking lot at this time is a chore, let alone dealing with all of the people in the store.

as for alternate stores for you, don't go to palms, but do try culver city. that TJ's shares the large parking structure for the downtown area (theater, restaurants, etc.) so parking can always be found, you just may have to use the elevators.
Lol. That's the one right off the white oak exit? It looks rustic and is very convenient since its right off a freeway exit. I think of it every time I forgot to go to one in the city. Busy parking lot with man directing traffic, tons of ppl and tight parking.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's a weird discount grocery owned by TJ and nothing to write home about.
Curmudgeon, just a slight correction: It isn't owned by Trader Joe's, but it is owned by the same family in Germany. since the brother who owned the Trader Joe's side died about 2 years ago, I am not sure who took over. Of course I haven't checked, I guess the brother who owns Aldi's might have bought T joes but I don't think so. I also happen to like Aldi's for some things. Here is a perfect example: Kettle chips, taste just like the name brands but are 1/2 the price. I only buy them for bridge groups or when we have parties (rarely anymore) but they are really top of the line: the mayo, just like or almost just like Hellman's but $2, instead of almost $4. There are a lot of things like that, it just doesn't have a great selection, you have to pay your deposit of .25 to get the cart, no one packages your goods, you pay a fee to use a credit card, no checks, and no bags. According to our daughter, who lived in Poland for a couple of years, Aldi's is run very much like the grocery stores there.

We don't have Aldi's right here, we have to drive about 20 miles south or 30 miles north so we don't use them as our regular store and I don't think we would, but we do shop there when we are in the area. they also have good prices on produce, but it has to be used quickly in many cases, not always. I would never buy meat there.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarcia77 View Post
We are so out of California after 58 Years. Goin back to Houston…
Good luck with your move. I hope you enjoy Houston. I would only have a problem with the heat and humidity there, but otherwise Texas is a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles