Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 06:08 AM

26,814 posts, read 26,954,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Brandon Straka, founder of the #WalkAway movement, wanted to see for himself what downtown LA was like, were conservative media exaggerating to make liberal cities look bad?
One wouldn't expect a different reaction from Straka.

The goal of his WalkAway campaign was to "encourage others to walk away from the "divisive" left, but also take back the narrative from the "liberal" media about what it means to be a conservative in America." (Wikipedia) Would we expect any other comment from him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 11:08 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,202,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
One wouldn't expect a different reaction from Straka.

The goal of his WalkAway campaign was to "encourage others to walk away from the "divisive" left, but also take back the narrative from the "liberal" media about what it means to be a conservative in America." (Wikipedia) Would we expect any other comment from him?

you think he lied about skid row? That it's fine, nice and clean, tents all in order, friendly people, nothing to see there.... What a odd post to make.

conservative or liberal I don't think there's anyway you can under report how bad skid row is. If people that are multiple posters on here would actually go check it out they'd see for themselves.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
conservative or liberal I don't think there's anyway you can under report how bad skid row is. If people that are multiple posters on here would actually go check it out they'd see for themselves.
Sorry, I'm not an advocate of QAnon. (And very few people who live here are unaware of how bad the homeless problem is in L.A.)

But I did watch about 5 minutes of the clip. I have to give Straka credit for admitting to the homeless man that he had given up his own 10 year cocaine habit several years ago. However, I'm confused about the man in whom he confided telling Straka that when he gets money from the government, he spends it on drugs. Government funding provides clothing, shelter, counseling, food, and other services for the homeless. I am not aware of any government program that gives out cash.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,458,179 times
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not an advocate of QAnon. (And very few people who live here are unaware of how bad the homeless problem is in L.A.)

But I did watch about 5 minutes of the clip. I have to give Straka credit for admitting to the homeless man that he had given up his own 10 year cocaine habit several years ago. However, I'm confused about the man in whom he confided telling Straka that when he gets money from the government, he spends it on drugs. Government funding provides clothing, shelter, counseling, food, and other services for the homeless. I am not aware of any government program that gives out cash.
If you get a card to by food, you have friends who let you buy their food, at a discount, and then they pay you that reduced amount in cash and then you buy drugs.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:08 PM

21,788 posts, read 16,451,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If you get a card to by food, you have friends who let you buy their food, at a discount, and then they pay you that reduced amount in cash and then you buy drugs.
You know this how?

FACT is: illegals are not eligible for SNAP (food stamps) ... the only way some illegals can get food stamp cards is for their legally born citizen children. If you think that amounts to a lot of illegals supporting drug habits, you’d have to believe that their legally present natural born citizen children are being starved so their illegal parents can do drugs. This flies in the face of everything we know about the culture of these illegals who have families ... which culture is, if anything, more passionately family-centric than American-citizen families.

To say nothing about how little money SNAP provides monthly for a child ... and how much drugs cost.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/43...tamps-illegal/

But hey, just keep feeding the mythologies

Old 06-28-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
This morning I saw this homeless bum on a freeway overpass throw a beer can over onto the cars on the freeway below. He timed it so it would hit a car.
The man who dumped water on this homeless woman undoubtedly timed it so that she'd get drenched.

A homeless woman got water dumped on her in San Francisco. It’s a ‘hatred’ faced ‘regularly’:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...627-story.html

Old 06-28-2019, 07:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,458,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You know this how?

FACT is: illegals are not eligible for SNAP (food stamps) ... the only way some illegals can get food stamp cards is for their legally born citizen children. If you think that amounts to a lot of illegals supporting drug habits, you’d have to believe that their legally present natural born citizen children are being starved so their illegal parents can do drugs. This flies in the face of everything we know about the culture of these illegals who have families ... which culture is, if anything, more passionately family-centric than American-citizen families.

To say nothing about how little money SNAP provides monthly for a child ... and how much drugs cost.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/43...tamps-illegal/

But hey, just keep feeding the mythologies
No one was talking about illegals, This is about the homeless.

(CA4: I have to give Straka credit for admitting to the homeless man that he had given up his own 10 year cocaine habit several years ago. However, I'm confused about the man in whom he confided telling Straka that when he gets money from the government, he spends it on drugs.)

Old 06-28-2019, 07:50 PM

21,788 posts, read 16,451,923 times
Quote:

(CA4: I have to give Straka credit for admitting to the homeless man that he had given up his own 10 year cocaine habit several years ago. However, I'm confused about the man in whom he confided telling Straka that when he gets money from the government, he spends it on drugs.)
My bad. Mea culpa. That said, here’s how much SNAP benefits a person can receive on average:
Quote:
Table 1 shows the maximum SNAP benefit levels in fiscal year 2019 for households of different sizes. Take as an example a family of three: if that family had no income, it would receive the maximum benefit of $505 per month; if it had $600 in net monthly income, it would receive the maximum benefit ($505) minus 30 percent of its net income (30 percent of $600 is $180), or $325. On average, SNAP households received about $253 a month in fiscal year 2018. The average SNAP benefit per person was about $126 per month, which works out to about $1.40 per person per meal.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...y-and-benefits
Now consider that selling SNAP cards (which require identification) illegally is a heavily discounted value sale ... 50%, sometimes less. $63 doesn’t buy much dope or booze.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:

But Mutt is right; While CalFresh/SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) services for the homeless may include EBT cards, they are applied to food from shelters or restaurants that participate.

The formerly homeless teens I see do not receive any cash payouts, EBT cards, or the like (and neither do their drug addicted single parents).

Old 06-28-2019, 08:35 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,202,063 times
Quote:

A drug addict on skid row is not someone you get true facts from. You can't believe anything they say. Makes me wonder though where are all the drug addicts on skid row getting money to buy drugs??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles