Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 11:12 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Specially in the summer.... it doesn't even rain... it's boring without any rain lol
The rain really excites you that much? lol

I have said this before and I'll keep saying this, if you need to look to the weather to find excitement then it's time to find a hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post

I have said this before and I'll keep saying this, if you need to look to the weather to find excitement then it's time to find a hobby.
that is so cold!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
If you are a weather watcher like me than you get a sense of our climate. There is a definite shift toward humid conditions starting in early July. It seems every year that once June & the morning clouds regime end it becomes increasingly humid. Coastal SoCal is on the fringe of the summer monsoon season that strongly effects Arizona & the deserts of SoCal. Ever travel to Palm Springs during July & August? Yes, it is incredibly hot but it is also very humid & at times unbearable. Moist air flows into the Southwest from the Gulf of California\ Sea of Cortez & thunderstorms can be quite strong. Some of those thunderstorms can be seen over the mountains east of LA. This is a normal seasonal flow of warm humid air from the tropics. Some years can be worst than others. Anyone remember 2006? It was horribly humid & quite hot [ie. Woodland Hills recorded 119F one afternoon] across California & over 100 people died of heat stoke [mostly old folks in the Central Valley when AC broke down].

Some people try to say that SoCal is not humid & compared to the Midwest & South it is quite a bit less muggy but that doesn't mean we have dry summers. It doesn't rain over the LA Basin during summer [except remnants of weak thunderstorms w/ hardly any rainfall] but humidity is definitely a characteristic of our summer climate. Ask anyone from Northern California when they are visiting Los Angeles in July or August!

I hate the humidity but what can we do but stay indoors during the day & enjoy the mild summer evenings.
This is the most accurate description of the weather here I've ever read. While the rest of the year is quite nice, I think the summer in LA sucks, quite frankly. June, July, August, I say there's no better place on earth than high elevation up in the Sierras or the Rocky Mountains.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-19-2009 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: The T.O.S. ask that you not discuss rep points -- thanks.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:19 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
While the rest of the year is quite nice, I think the summer in LA sucks, quite frankly. June, July, August, I say there's no better place on earth than high elevation up in the Sierras or the Rocky Mountains.
L.A. proper does suck in the summer. The only bearable place are the beaches. If the heat wave is strong enough, even the beaches aren't immune, but I'd still rather deal with 90 degrees at the beach than 110 degrees in the Valley!

I don't like the monsoon moisture we frequently get in August and September, because the cloud cover prevents any night time cooling. That means I'm running my a/c 24/7, which gets expensive real quickly!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:00 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
From what I have read here I feel sorry for you guys out there in Los Angeles.

Reading this makes me appreciate more where I live. We have no smog, we have lots and lots of rain. we dont really get hot( rarely above 85 degrees) I love the cold temps( in winter it can get down into the -30's) We cool off at night even during the summer. Sun cover is just perfect we only see the sun about 3/5 of the year.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:18 AM

527 posts, read 1,282,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post

Weather IS exciting! Oh wait, I guess you wouldn't know! lawl.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:48 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I too agree with happ.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-19-2009 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: The T.O.S. ask that you not discuss rep points -- thanks.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
L.A. proper does suck in the summer. The only bearable place are the beaches. If the heat wave is strong enough, even the beaches aren't immune, but I'd still rather deal with 90 degrees at the beach than 110 degrees in the Valley!
Fortunately, it is quite rare when it hits 110 degrees in the valley.

Quote:
I don't like the monsoon moisture we frequently get in August and September, because the cloud cover prevents any night time cooling. That means I'm running my a/c 24/7, which gets expensive real quickly!
We have it easy in that regard. Even with the cloud cover, it still usually cools off to the 70s or 60s overnight. Unlike many places in the southeast which remain at 80 degrees or higher all night. I keep track of the temperatures where I live and it is not very often when the minimum temp is over 70 degrees.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Fortunately, it is quite rare when it hits 110 degrees in the valley.

We have it easy in that regard. Even with the cloud cover, it still usually cools off to the 70s or 60s overnight. Unlike many places in the southeast which remain at 80 degrees or higher all night. I keep track of the temperatures where I live and it is not very often when the minimum temp is over 70 degrees.
Yes, many people comment about how comfortable summer nights are in LA even after a very hot day. That's where being a city on the Pacific ocean really helps moderate temps. Most days from July to October require air conditioning but by sunset it is generally quite comfortable enough to turn off the AC & open up the house w/ ceiling fans. Clouds & humidity can hold the heat in but still most nights cool below 70F by early morning.

Of-course, those who live in Santa Monica\ West LA rarely need AC other than fans. I live between downtown & Pasadena & can feel the temp rise if I drive into Pasadena or even Burbank & certainly can feel the heat by the time I reach Woodland Hills [couldn't pay me to live in that oven!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yes, many people comment about how comfortable summer nights are in LA even after a very hot day. That's where being a city on the Pacific ocean really helps moderate temps. Most days from July to October require air conditioning but by sunset it is generally quite comfortable enough to turn off the AC & open up the house w/ ceiling fans. Clouds & humidity can hold the heat in but still most nights cool below 70F by early morning.
In my middle of the San Fernando Valley home I have only one wall-type air conditioner, in my living room. In fact it got hot enough today that it's the first time I've used it this season, and it's running right now.

In evenings I close up my entire house except my bedroom window and the spare bedroom window. I put a big box fan in the spare bedroom window pointed outwards and run it all night. That draws the cool outside air into my bedroom without my having to hear the fan going. It works fine except for perhaps 5-6 evenings a year, and on those evenings I'll admit I'm pretty uncomfortable.

I don't want to get whole house air conditioning because it's an expensive job to install it, and I'm not convinced that the investment will be returned when I sell my house. And anyway I'm hoping I'll be in Los Angeles only 1-2 more years. As soon as I figure out where to go I'm going to do the necessary things to get it sold.

Honestly I do envy people who live near enough to the beach to get the ocean influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles