Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 AM

317 posts, read 819,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
actually thats a typical liberal answer...there are lots of big name stores in compton...best buy, target, home depot, i believe...some others...its not what people think there...plenty of opprutinity.
Liberal answer lol....Actually there are no stores that someone from another community would come to Compton for because its in that area, such as restaurants, recreational areas, etc.How many times has someone from Beverly Hills for example said "Hey lets takes the kids to Compton this weekend I hear they have that new _________"
As far as best buy, target, home depot etc... are concerned they are wherever there is a population that it can make money from.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,468 times
What about the area just east of the 110 - and just west of West Compton - the W. Redondo Beach Blvd and S. Broadway intersection/area. I'm looking into storing a classic Mustang (GT350 clone) at a business in that area. Would I be safe driving that car in that area?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:18 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
actually thats a typical liberal answer...there are lots of big name stores in compton...best buy, target, home depot, i believe...some others...its not what people think there...plenty of opprutinity.
The Best Buy and Home Depot are in the same shopping center and they only opened maybe a year ago. I don't think that Compton has a Target unless I'm forgetting where it is.

There are worse places in the US than Compton, but other than Watts and parts of South Central there aren't many worse around LA. Not many people of any race would choose to live in Compton if they had the money to afford to live someplace better. The schools are terrible, the crime is bad, and the murder rate (because of gangs) can get very high.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 AM

7 posts, read 24,643 times
You probably shouldn't listen to me because I've never left Australia, but from what i hear, an area so close to Compton would still be pretty bad as it is also surrounded by scummy areas, it would still have gangs and crime. So a nice looking car like that, they'd probably try to jack you and therefore you might want to reconsider your decision about where to keep the car. If you are a risk taker, take it there in the middle of the day and don't wear colours.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 PM

34 posts, read 86,190 times
Okay, here we go I was raised in Compton and I can say that as long as you mind your business you should'nt have a problem, I no longer live in CA but whenever I comeback to visit family I've had no problems, we don't have to wory about wearing the wrong colors or getting car jacked,heck my uncle& aunt have late model high end cars parked in the driveway and have had no problems. New home buliders are buliding homes there as we speak, it's amazing how so many people have negative thoughts about a city they've never been to.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 PM

79 posts, read 170,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
That comment was so stupid even someone who lives clear across the United States (me) doesn't believe it.
good point, thanks for being a voice of reason

Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 PM

79 posts, read 170,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer7557 View Post
I keep reading that Compton is all bad and you will get shot if you're driving through. This weekend I need to go to the Compton/Woodley Airport from LA. Can you please let me know if all these threads are just hype or would I be safe driving from LA to the airport through Compton. Please keep in mind i'm a white-looking girl.
"please keep in mind I am a white-looking girl", Are you White or White-looking?

Please tell me that you are White, I can not believe a "sista" would say this type of statement. What do you mean? Do you feel that there are no very light-skinned Black people, and some who do look White, who live, work or come through Compton. Are you saying that some of our brothers are going to savagely attack your self-perceived beauty, as though they have never seen before?

Your implication or insinuation is that you may be targeted because you are a white-looking girl is giving me the impression that your view is that there are no ladies over here that look White. Hello, there are a whole lot of Hispanic young ladies, some who do look White.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 21,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
CPT is safe. Just be smart, dont do anything stupid. Dont annoy people you dont know.
You can go outside at nights and its no problem, the gang members are actually quite nice people.
Love what you say about the Compton/Long Beach/Watts/Gardena area.

I worked in Compton, Gardena and Lynwood, spent a lot of time in Long Beach, just chillin' and got to Watts as often as I could to look at The Towers and just soak up some real culture, rather than the South Bay crap from the locals there.

I had more fun, met more cool people, and never once felt the least bit worried for my safety in any of those areas, and I was in my early 20's then, and not bad looking, if I do say so myself.

One difference, and I don't know how it is now, but I was never once referred to a a b***h, or a hoe, or any of that. I was respectful and was offered respect. But then, I had just moved to LA from the main Latino gang area in San Diego, where I learned from the locals about the give/receive thing, so no problems, not ever.

Last edited by CraftCrazedWoman; 10-20-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Forgot to carry over the original quote

Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,079 times
Never been to Compton, but i cant imagine it is that safe. I would love to go there. I am from North Minneapolis, Mn & my neighborhood is bad enough (bars on the windows, gun shots in the distance) I am sure Compton is 10 times worse, I haven't got shot in Minneapolis yet, maybe someday I will move to a more exciting neighborhood!!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:26 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkstar31 View Post
Never been to Compton, but i cant imagine it is that safe. I would love to go there. I am from North Minneapolis, Mn & my neighborhood is bad enough (bars on the windows, gun shots in the distance) I am sure Compton is 10 times worse, I haven't got shot in Minneapolis yet, maybe someday I will move to a more exciting neighborhood!!
You might be surprised. Compton is not at all the worst part of the L.A. area, IMO. But if you do move, Compton is sure to give you far milder weather than Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles