Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
On the city-data.com maine site, you can look up any US city and get this info toward the bottom of the page. There are snowfall and rainfall charts as well. This one is for Portland just to give you an example. This is good info, if it just accurate. Sometimes you can't tell about what you read online, except by talking to these folks who actually live it.

Ok, I know I don't actually live there *yet* but I do my homework!
Does it say where city-data gets their weather info? I don't think I've seen the source listed. If you have any doubts about their accuracy, a couple of places to double-check would be Weather Underground (wunderground.com) and the Weather Channel's website (weather.com).

At Weather Underground, click on the state you want on the U.S. map on the front page. That will move you to a list of representative cities from around that state. When you click on one of those, partway down on the left side you'll see a link to weather averages for that city. This includes a temperature graph, like the ones at city-data. You can also enter the name of a location not on the list of representative cities for the state in question, but I think that just gets you the data for the nearest city on the list.

At weather.com, enter the name or zip code of the location you want. When the window for that location opens, about halfway down the page on the left is the 36-hour forecast. Across the top of that section are several links, including one for "averages." When you click on that, it moves you to a window where you can view either the monthly averages, or the day-by-day average temperatures for every day of the year.

Between these two and the city-data info, you should feel pretty confident that you have an accurate picture of the weather in a locale of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
winter flies like a dream filled night, you hold your quilts and pillow tight, with spring we waken, stretch and yawn, summer's here, then soon long gone, embrace the fall, It's colors bright, I'll be home soon, to winters white.......
Can't sleep!! so much to do, so excited, but dreading the actual move lol.
And so to all, I wish you well, I'll be back soon my tale to tell
Sweet! People should stop being so fearful about winter. Proper equipment, preparation and some common sense will see you thru any New England winter. Sure, there will be a leaning curve to acheive but what new experience doesn't have one.

With the way this global warming thing is affecting the weather and seasons trying to predict the winter is fruitless IMHO. A few years ago we didn't see a flake of snow until Xmas day, next year on April 1 we had 3 feet of snow still on the ground, the next year on April 1st no snow at all on the ground. My brother-in-law is a snow removal contractor in the Portland area. I plowed for him a couple of winters. The past couple of years hasn't been real great for him.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times
I find the worst part of winter is Jan through mid March. The worst part is it takes forever for summer to get here and then it's only here for a couple weeks. All of June and most of July was cold and wet. Finally we got some summer weather at the end of July and into August. Now it's going the other way and some parts of Maine (up north) have already had frost warnings. In the Portland area where I am it's been perfect weather for the last week. Temps are from 75-85 and no humidity. Last week we had a couple days of warm and humid weather but that was about it.

If I had a choice I would rather be in the southern states where it's warmer and summers last longer. But at least in Maine we don't have to worry about hurricanes and tornadoes for the most part. They can happen here but they are very rare.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
If I had a choice...

You do.

--------------------------------

One day Billy Bob went over to visit with Hank for a spell. They were settin' and rockin' on the porch, and every so often Hank's old hound Blue would raise up his head and howl.

After about the fifth time, Billy Bob says 'Hank, what in tarnation is ole Blue howlin' about?'

Hank says 'Well, theys a nail stickin' outta the porch right there, and it's kinda pokin' him in the belly and hurtin' him a little bit.'

After a few minutes of cogitatin', Billy Bob asks 'Well, why don't he git up and move?'

Hank replies 'Aw, heck, it don't hurt that much.'

Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM

Technically I do have a choice to move but there is a thing called money you need in order to move. That is what I am working on now.

[quote=Zymer;1374804] If I had a choice...

You do.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:23 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Technically I do have a choice to move but there is a thing called money you need in order to move. That is what I am working on now.
Not always...one of my favorite ways to move was to pack whatever would fit in my Army duffle bag and hit the road, everything else got left behind.

But, I know what you mean. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:08 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Hard to say how long winter will be. I remember seeing snow in Oct. I also remember one year making a Christmas wreath outside in 73 degree weather. Have gone trail riding on Christmas Eve before. Some Halloweens were almost too cold to go out trick or treating.
The winters I remember as a child were snow filled. We spent every spare moment sledding and skating. Seemed like 35 yrs ago we had alot more snow.
I guess I will have to say winter can be only as long as one makes it. Keep busy and times goes alot faster. Not much help I know.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:08 PM

Global warming is a beautiful thing!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Yes this Interglacial period is looking good.

[An Interglacial is a geological interval of warmer global average temperature that separates glacials, or ice ages. The current Holocene interglacial has persisted since the Pleistocene age.]

Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Yes, I keep telling all these man-made global warming crazies that global warming has been occurring since the end of the last ice age. Also, 1 volcano eruption puts out more pollution than all the factories, cars, and man made sources you could create. I am not saying we shouldn't do our part to prevent pollution but I don't buy the global warming alarmists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine