Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
What your saying is Hogwash. Youtube isn't the government. YouTube has only been around since 2005 and has only been really popular circa 2009. So what were people doing before YouTube existed? The internet existed well before YouTube even became a thing.

YouTube loses money because of it's edgy creators, that's why they kick people of the platform. If companies say they don't want to run ads on YouTube because they let everything from Nazis to people who abuse other users, et.al want Crowder was doing even though I don't think of Crowder as a bad person the amount of times he has insulted Maza is more than I ever insulted anyone period. if advertisers see that and tells YouTube they won't advertise on a platform tat gives someone like that power. What is YouTue supposed to do? Tell their entire community we are giving you a third or fourth paycheck cut again because the right don't know how to act on our platform.

This isn't about Crowder vs. Maza this is about YouTube being a victim of how it earns money if advertisers don't find their content "safe", YouTube will pull the unsafe content rather than have themselves and their entire platform take yet another paycheck hit from the same thing occurring over and over again.

Youtube will deplatform anyone who loses them money any company that doesn't is suicidal and won't last long.
I understand your retort but it's still censorship! Now you are allowing all content control to be dictated by advertisers and this is a potential abuse of power. You give them an inch and they'll take a yard I can guarantee it.

YouTube was created to allow individuals a platform to speak their own minds. It's the backbone of the channel.

My god there is enough division on in this country as it is. Now you are basically allowing advertisers carte blanch on what or what isn't shown on You Tube? America is trigger happy enough as it is and soon they'll be removing anything remotely edgy. Where do you draw the line? Should certain ultra radical groups like the Nazi's, skin heads, KKK be censored? Sure all day long. But it's only a matter of time before good content is erased because god knows it offends SOMEBODY.

This censorship crap is not a good idea because it will spin out of control....

If you are watching a vid and it offends you? Turn it off. It's really that easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I don't think YouTube chooses right over left. YouTube is very selective on who they deplatform and who they keep. Pewdiepie for example used the N word, and he still has 70 million subscribers. I highly doubt folks would abandoned Crowder for usage of the N word. If so, than 70 million subscribers would have banned Pewdiepie. YouTube had an adpocolypse last year, and everyone got affected. Like I said before, YouTube should go back to doing cat videos and hair tutorials and how-to videos like it did 15 years ago. What Crowder said was offensive to Maza, but in the eyes of YouTube it was not offensive thus no need to deplatform. However Crowder is now demontized. Also Google and most tech companies politically and ideally virtue signals towards the left and not right. Yes left pundits do get deplatformed. On Facebook for example a BLM was banned from facebook for a month because of her rhetoric about white supremacy. Sadly this BLM adocated for the censorship of Trump supporters and racists white men. When you call for censorship for one group of people. It creates a slippery slope for you and others to also be censored. Like I said before, I may not like what you say, or say to me. But you are in your right to say what you want to say. I just have to ignore it and move on. Social Media has become very toxic with alt right, social justice activism, pro black, feminism and white nationalist ideologies. Not for nothing I would love all of these echo chambers to disappear off of social media.
I was talking about the "intellectuals" coming to Crowders defense, who never once defended the LGBT community, not YouTube itself.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Nope, you are way off the mark, in fact what you state is the exact opposite of what Youtube have stated.

Youtube have categorically stated his videos don't breach TOS. This article contains the tweets from youtube confirming this.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/4/18...cement-verdict

However, then youtube said, don't worry about our TOS, we will just demonitise you because of your vibe.....
They say that even if you don't breach our TOS we will bow to loud activists and pretend there has been some "harm".

But hey, we will still leave the videos up to continue their harm to the community.

Youtube deserve all the ridicule they get.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/6/18...t-maza-crowder

"Even if a creator’s content doesn’t violate our community guidelines, we will take a look at the broader context and impact, and if their behavior is egregious and harms the broader community, we may take action. In the case of Crowder’s channel, a thorough review over the weekend found that individually, the flagged videos did not violate our Community Guidelines. However, in the subsequent days, we saw the widespread harm to the YouTube community resulting from the ongoing pattern of egregious behavior, took a deeper look, and made the decision to suspend monetization".
Youtube officially demonetized him for the use of the term F#%gs on the shirt which was a thinly veiled slur, which as I already stated was against TOS for AdSense.

What he said in the videos somehow skirted the TOS, he made the Copy Cat killer argument.

" I didnt tell them to kill people in my name, I just told them to fight for what I believe is right."(in the context of Doxing Maza)

Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I just love the whole "it's a private company and they can do what they want" line coming from progressives. But cake shops and pizza joints are forced to do business with whom the government says they must and progressives applaud.

As if.
Yeah, and conservatives want to give women the death penalty for aborting a baby caused by rape.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Also, who is in charge of defining what's an extreme view or not? It all boils down to human interpretation.

Here's an example. Let's say a big YouTube advertiser like Gillette hires a panel of local citizens to watch YouTube vids to determine whether a given video is extreme or not? So are we putting the fate of many many YouTube videos in the hands of some young green haired dingbat out in Pasadena who has been put in charge of the Gillette review panel who one days comes back and says "we need to get rid of all the George Carlin and Richard Pryor material because these comedians are deemed to be extreme."

Are Carlin and Pryor vids extreme? You bet!!!!!!!!!!! But that is what made them comedic geniuses. But by golly if the material triggers enough advertisers, might as well get out the scissors and make sure these vids don't get off the cutting room floor or Gillette pulls all funding from You Tube. We are entering dangerous territory here. Mark my word, the PC Police Force is coming!!!

Oh you just wait and see. Give these guys and inch and they'll take a yard. Fast forward 10 years and when all "edgy" material is gone, we'll all tune in to have our choice of the "Silly Cat Tricks or Aunt Nancy's Knitting Class" as available material.

My point is stop the censorship NOW! Sounds iike YouTube needs to put their foot down and change their advertisement strategy!

Old 06-10-2019, 07:26 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Youtube officially demonetized him for the use of the term F#%gs on the shirt which was a thinly veiled slur, which as I already stated was against TOS for AdSense.

What he said in the videos somehow skirted the TOS, he made the Copy Cat killer argument.

" I didnt tell them to kill people in my name, I just told them to fight for what I believe is right."(in the context of Doxing Maza)
Come on, you are being disingenuous. You said "Youtube has point blank said using slurs, mocking or attacking people is against TOS, Crowders response to people who have pointed that out to him is to claim all of his jabs are "good hearted friendly ribbing", which is BS and obviously only works if both sides see it that way and they clearly didnt."

As I said, and you now agree, Crowders videos do not breach the TOS. They have categorically stated this. So to be clear, youtube says it is ok to call Maza a 'lispy *****'.

Poor Carlos Maza will have to keep watching his videos and getting offended because they are all still all there.

Are you outraged the Maza called for the physical assault of conservatives? Can you provide evidence that Crowder doxed maza or even called for the doxing of maza?

Old 06-10-2019, 07:37 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Also, who is in charge of defining what's an extreme view or not? It all boils down to human interpretation.

Here's an example. Let's say a big YouTube advertiser like Gillette hires a panel of local citizens to watch YouTube vids to determine whether a given video is extreme or not? So are we putting the fate of many many YouTube videos in the hands of some young green haired dingbat out in Pasadena who has been put in charge of the Gillette review panel who one days comes back and says "we need to get rid of all the George Carlin and Richard Pryor material because these comedians are deemed to be extreme."

Are Carlin and Pryor vids extreme? You bet!!!!!!!!!!! But that is what made them comedic geniuses. But by golly if the material triggers enough advertisers, might as well get out the scissors and make sure these vids don't get off the cutting room floor or Gillette pulls all funding from You Tube. We are entering dangerous territory here. Mark my word, the PC Police Force is coming!!!

Oh you just wait and see. Give these guys and inch and they'll take a yard. Fast forward 10 years and when all "edgy" material is gone, we'll all tune in to have our choice of the "Silly Cat Tricks or Aunt Nancy's Knitting Class" as available material.

My point is stop the censorship NOW! Sounds iike YouTube needs to put their foot down and change their advertisement strategy!
It's a private business. They can have whatever advertising strategy they want. They can choose if they want to deal with Gilette. Advertising is a main reason they can even afford to run a site like this. Video takes a LOT of bandwidth to run, especially for how many videos they have. Astounding amounts.

Then there's setting up the rest of site, and maintaining it, and so on. Every video on the site takes some resources just to be on there, even if it's a shaky kitty video that gets 10 views.

If you (general) don't like how they run their site, watch videos on Vimeo or Dailymotion or another service. Help build them up instead of thinking you should have to be allowed on a private business' website no matter how it affects them.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:40 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Yeah, and conservatives want to give women the death penalty for aborting a baby caused by rape.
That came out of left field. If left field had a left field, it came out of there.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~ Noam Chomsky
And it's clear from reading this thread that progressives today don't believe in it at all. They have moved very far from the Enlightenment West's ideal of "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," toward the Soviet view of speech.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:57 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
The progressive view appears to be that whoever Larry Page, Sergey Brin and Mark Zuckerberg hire to be in charge should be in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media