U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM
 
3,381 posts, read 8,748,764 times
Reputation: 724
I think that's the point; people like different things. If you are raised in a "white" church that is subdued and quieter, then you are not gonig to want to attend a "black" church that is louder, has more interaction, etc. Nothing to do with race, just the type of church. You go to church for the experience, not for the race of people there.

Sort of like beauty salons....certain beauty salons specialize in african-american hair...thus white people don't go there. And vice versa. Has nothing to do with wanting to segregate yourself, but just that you want to go to the salon that will give you the best haircut.

 
Old 06-24-2007, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Memphis
6 posts, read 18,062 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wut2do View Post
I am trying to find a reason for my husband to be able to take a job in Memphis, but everything I have read has been so negative. We live in East Tn. right now and have lived here all our lives. The comments I have found are not encouraging at all. They say the schools are awful and the racial tensions are high... things about annexation and being incorporated...so many things I can't mention them all. I am from a small town and I like small town living...and elbow room and nice people. I also have a son who is in high school and makes straight A's. I don't want to jeapordize anything for him. What are the best towns around Memphis that I might find these things?
I love memphis; I have lived here for over 20 years and I have encountered no problems. Do not listen to the naysayers; many of them contradict themselves because they have to work here. That in it self says the city is a great place. Many of these people have other issues, such as they do not like the idea of having a black mayor. It is all about the politics.
Please do not allow these morons to infect you with their pessimistic spirit.
Havent' you heard? The schools have improved considerably. There have always been schools that performed exceptionally well. My son attends an optional school and he does quite well (4.25 avg).
Come to memphis with the right attitude and you will be rewarded in kind.

Last edited by Knarfs; 06-24-2007 at 07:30 PM..
 
Old 06-24-2007, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Memphis
6 posts, read 18,062 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Most cities with high crime rates still have some good parts, but not Memphis! There is nowhere in the city limits of Memphis that you can live in without having to worry about being murdered over 10 bucks. If you just have to work in Memphis, live in either Desoto County, MS, Bartlett, Germantown, or Collierville. If you prefer more of a small town feel, I'd suggest Arlington. I love Memphis' entertainment, but I would not live in the city limits of Memphis for anything!
I do not know what your problem is, but how can you say there is no good place in memphis. You have not lived in ever part of memphis; you have not even seen every part of memphis. It is a wonder that people like you do not set yourselves up for a lawsuit. speak that in which you know. I have been in memphis more than 20 years and have not encoutered any problems.
 
Old 06-24-2007, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Memphis
6 posts, read 18,062 times
Reputation: 12
Default Memphis is no worse than any other city its' size

I love Memphis. I love Memphis. I have lived in Memphis for more than 20 years with my beautiful wife, daughter and son. Neither of us have been robbed, rapped or injured. I live on a street that I feel is as safe as any street in America. As I have said before, many of the naysayers are contradicting themselves because they earn their living in this great city. Why not earn your living in the place you are telling the others to live? Simply put, they can't. They cannot because the other areas do not provide them with the livestyle they are afforded in Memphis.

Most of the people that are complaining are people who cannot be led by a black mayor who sometimes, admittedly, is overly arrogant.
However, Memphis downtown is cleaner, providing more opportunities.

Further, my son is in a school that I feel offers him a fine education; he has an average of 4.25.
Please anyone who is thinking about coming to Memphis do a trial run. come and stay in a hotel for a week, two weeks etc...etc...
Do not let these overly zealous people stop you from enjoying this beautiful city.
 
Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Memphis, TN
6 posts, read 14,519 times
Reputation: 12
wut2do...

I also would recommend Arlington to you. It is a SMALL town, but think that it is up and coming once 385 opens up all the way around the east side of the city. It almost has a Mayberry feel to it. I have a middle schooler and high schooler in Arlington and we have been fairly pleased w/ the schools. No school violence or sex in the bathrooms that I know of. Good luck!
 
Old 06-28-2007, 03:59 PM
 
100 posts, read 316,295 times
Reputation: 57
"Most of the people that are complaining are people who cannot be led by a black mayor who sometimes, admittedly, is overly arrogant."

If a Memphian doesn't like the mayor because of his corruption, dishonesty, incompetence, and lack of morals, (and arrogance) .

It's because the Mayor is black???????
 
Old 06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Cody, WY
775 posts, read 1,610,961 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomterr View Post
"Most of the people that are complaining are people who cannot be led by a black mayor who sometimes, admittedly, is overly arrogant."

If a Memphian doesn't like the mayor because of his corruption, dishonesty, incompetence, and lack of morals, (and arrogance) .

It's because the Mayor is black???????

This is always what puzzles me. I cannot stand Herenton for all the reasons mentioned above (plus the way he ran the city schools into the ground before becoming mayor). I'm frequently told I just dislike him because he's black. That's just plain silly. I'm crazy about AC Wharton who is also black. It would stand to reason that if skin color were my issue with a person, I'd have that issue with both of them, wouldn't I?

I always wonder about the need for people to label other's views as racially-driven instead of accepting that they quite possibly just disagree.
 
Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Memphis, TN area
222 posts, read 432,060 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
This is always what puzzles me. I cannot stand Herenton for all the reasons mentioned above (plus the way he ran the city schools into the ground before becoming mayor). I'm frequently told I just dislike him because he's black. That's just plain silly. I'm crazy about AC Wharton who is also black. It would stand to reason that if skin color were my issue with a person, I'd have that issue with both of them, wouldn't I?

I always wonder about the need for people to label other's views as racially-driven instead of accepting that they quite possibly just disagree.
My feelings, exactly. I wish the residents of Memphis would vote for a term limit for the mayoral office. It seems that once somebody gets into office, it's hard to get them out. The city I moved from had a city manager who was a professional manager - i.e., the person has a degree in management. The mayor is a city councilor who is elected by his fellow city councilors and the mayor is a figurehead only. This city needs professional management, not a cronie. I'm not a Memphis resident, so I can't do anything to change this situation. I'm a former Memphis resident and it's because of Willie that I am.
 
Old 06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
 
8,986 posts, read 20,920,918 times
Reputation: 5732
Quote:
Originally Posted by umograd83 View Post
My feelings, exactly. I wish the residents of Memphis would vote for a term limit for the mayoral office. It seems that once somebody gets into office, it's hard to get them out. The city I moved from had a city manager who was a professional manager - i.e., the person has a degree in management. The mayor is a city councilor who is elected by his fellow city councilors and the mayor is a figurehead only. This city needs professional management, not a cronie. I'm not a Memphis resident, so I can't do anything to change this situation. I'm a former Memphis resident and it's because of Willie that I am.
That's the way my hometown (Cookeville) is run. The mayor is merely the city councilor who received the most votes in the election, but the daily management of city affairs is run by a professional city manager. I can't see that ever happening in Memphis, where political corruption has been the norm since the Crump family.

I was in a dry cleaners on Union Ave in Midtown once, and King Willie came in. This was during his 2nd term. Holy cow, not only is he an imposing figure (I swear he's 7 feet tall) but he had this entourage of a dozen or so men surrounding him. Probably like the way Elvis used to travel. Or Michael Jackson. I remember wondering, "why does he need so many armed guards protecting him?"

It's too bad AC Wharton can't also be mayor of the city of Memphis.
 
Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 AM
 
3,381 posts, read 8,748,764 times
Reputation: 724
JMT - that's how I've always seen Willie too - with about 5 guys around him (or women). Whatever you think of his political practices, the fact it he's a 60 year old man who last year had an illegitimate baby with a 20 year old girl. And that's not the first time! there are always stories like that popping up that Willie declares to be true. No one seems to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top