Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,960 times

Advertisements

DMarie123:

How come all of the people that are in AF ROTC can basically major in anything they want, get a medicore score on the AFOQT, and still get a commission?

I knew someone who was a sociology major with a barely passing AFOQT score at my university get a commission.

I know AF ROTC is a "different" commission program but it seems like a double standard if you ask me.

If a sociology major with a barely passing AFOQT score applied as a civilian applicant to OTS, they would get rejected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Credit check? Looks like potential employers aren't the only ones checking credit. Why the concern for someone's credit? What does a late payment have to do with how good a person can fly a plane, be an airplane mechanic, or do some other task related to the air force?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Credit check? Looks like potential employers aren't the only ones checking credit. Why the concern for someone's credit? What does a late payment have to do with how good a person can fly a plane, be an airplane mechanic, or do some other task related to the air force?
A late payment probably will mean nothing...

Heavily into debt... Might be a problem.

Unexplained affluence... Well...

You have a lot of contracts/agreements you agreed to and not fulfilling them? That may reflect on a persons honesty?

You need a security clearance for your job, correct? Have we ever had our countries secrets?

If you can't pass a security clearance, would I let you buy dog for for my dog? Not likely...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-21-2011 at 10:21 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
DMarie123:

How come all of the people that are in AF ROTC can basically major in anything they want, get a medicore score on the AFOQT, and still get a commission?

I knew someone who was a sociology major with a barely passing AFOQT score at my university get a commission.

I know AF ROTC is a "different" commission program but it seems like a double standard if you ask me.

If a sociology major with a barely passing AFOQT score applied as a civilian applicant to OTS, they would get rejected.

I don't know, honestly. I think it's because they've shown commitment and forethought by joining ROTC and sticking with it, and because the Air Force paid for their college and now they have to get their monies worth in labor. ROTC or the Academy are the most sure-fire ways to get selected.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
A late payment probably will mean nothing...

Heavily into debt... Might be a problem.

Unexplained affluence... Well...

You have a lot of contracts/agreements you agreed to and not fulfilling them? That may reflect on a persons honesty?

You need a security clearance for your job, correct? Have we ever had our countries secrets?

If you can't pass a security clearance, would I let you buy dog for for my dog? Not likely...

Rich
Actually, one late payment requires a waiver now, just to join, for the Air Force. Even if it was 2 years ago and the account is now paid off.

Basically, you agreed to make a payment, and didn't, so there is a commitment or integrity issue, or maybe just organizational skills (in the case of an accidental missed payment). Also, if you are enlisted and you miss a payment, you can get demoted or reprimanded, even separated if you continue, so we want to prevent these problems from starting.

The waiver's usually get approved, they are just a formality. However, in severe cases, they may not get approved.

And yes, it really influences clearances.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
If you have a high school diploma you should be able to enlist in the service and begin that process. Just talk to any of the service recruiters.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
I will add to that PLEASE don't think that if you lie about anything that is a disqualifier that you will NOT wish you had not. We process recruites DAILY for Fradulent Enlistment charges thru legal. NOT medical, but when we send your paperwork forward to legal and they have found that you LIED about a EPTS condition, THEY BRING THE CHARGES!!!! You can actually OWE the Gov all the money it cost them to get you there, they paid you, care you received, and travel home. Like the IRS...it will HAUNT you for the rest of your life AND be something that can SERIOUSLY IMPEDE your ever getting anything other than a "drive thru window" type of employment. WE don't do it to YOU...YOU do it to YOURSELF when you choose to sign YOUR name to the "I attest the above is true and accurate assessment of my medical history". Fines can range from $20K to 10 yrs in PRISON for signing it...and the "my recruiter told me not to tell" story does NOT fly...because they ask "Is that YOUR our your recuiters signature"?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,146 times
I want to join the Air Force. Are there any other disqualifying factors? Why does the Air Force check your credit? Just curious about that part

Old 12-17-2014, 07:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhutchinson View Post
I want to join the Air Force. Are there any other disqualifying factors? Why does the Air Force check your credit? Just curious about that part
All the services conduct a background investigation which includes a credit check as well as other factors.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
All the services conduct a background investigation which includes a credit check as well as other factors.
The Navy does not conduct a credit check during the enlistment process. It was only the Air Force and Coast Guard doing it when I was recruiting a couple years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues