Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should U.S. Military Commissaries Remain Open?
Yes, the Military Commissaries should remain open. 35 71.43%
No, , the Military Commissaries should be closed. 9 18.37%
I'm not sure. 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:05 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Right, Obama played this game throughout the Govt shut down and sequester
It's congress. The budget control act tied the hands of the DOD. Now, because it's a political game, the DOD comptroller, service chiefs and secretariats will throw shock ideas to save money in an effort to try and appeal to emotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Most of the time, Costco and Walmart are priced better than our commissary, anyway, and Aldi ALWAYS is. It would be one thing if the commissary offered major savings, but, at least here, it's negligible. Because of that, there aren't that many things I shop for at the commissary, but typically go to Aldi, Walmart, or Costco instead.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:41 AM

The commissary is more expensive for me than the local super wal-mart or Costco/Sams when I buy in bulk.

The exchange is ok but the furniture usually sucks. The TV's are fairly expensive but you don't pay tax so it's usually a wash.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuergriff1 View Post
Senator Cobourn (R. OK) put out a paper called the "Dept. of Everything." In it he outlines areas where he believes the DOD has lost sight of its goal to defend the US. The DOD runs everything from almost 300 grocery stores, to breweries to day care.
http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/...6-019695e52d2d
Interesting read on page 66s to 68. Just one portion:

Quote:
By getting the Department of Defense out of the grocery business here in the United States, Congress could increase military pay across the board and allow military members to shop at the stores of their choice. This change would also certainly help achieve the original purpose of the commissary benefit: recruitment and retention through higher pay and benefits.
It might seem that higher pay might be possible. He states " Adopting this option would do just that by saving more than $5 billion every year once fully implemented without compromising our nation’s defense in any way". Maybe, who knows? We have about 1,429,995 active military, and we could save $5,000,000,000 million per year? How about parsing one half of that out to all active duty members? $2,500,000,000 would come out to $145 per month pay raise for each active duty member... There are a few flaws, the Senator talks about just cutting CONUS commissaries, some his budget numbers seem to be for U.S. military throughout the whole world.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:00 PM

There is no possible way they would make a cut and give it back to members.

I expect some rough cuts in the next few years. Tricare rates go up. Retiree benefits cut. Active duty funding severely slashed. Unless the sequester is repealed, the next couple years for the DOD is going to hurt.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:10 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
As stated above, this has nothing to do with the administration- it's the DoD's idea and most, if not all, of the service chiefs are in favor of it.

I know I can count on one hand how many times we have done our grocery shopping in the commissary over the last 5 years.

You may be able to count on one hand, but the long lines at my local commissary tell a different story. Costco may be cheaper, but the closest one to my base is an hour away. From the next base, 2-2.5 hours. When the commissaries were closed as part of the government shutdown the line wrapped around the entire store the last day prior to closing. One of my friends on recruiting duty grocery bill increased by over $300 monthly because he did not have access to a commissary. I fortunately recruited in a military town.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM

I will agree that most DOD cuts are for shock value to show how bad sequestration is hurting the force. Just like the Navy saying they won't be able to float ships, the Marines saying the MEUs won't be able to float. At the end of the day the ones who will pay for these cuts are the individual servicemen, just like the last drawdown in the mid 90's. A lot of servicemen are going to be out of job. Just like any other business, the largest cost is personnel.

Last edited by macjr82; 11-24-2013 at 07:59 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I wila gree that most DODO cuts are for shock value to show how bad sequestration is hurting the force. Just like th eNAvy saying they won't be able to float ships, the Marines saying the MEUs won't be able to float. At tehe end of the day the ones who will pay for these cuts are the individual servicemen, just like the last drawdown in the mid 90's. A lot of servicemen are going to be out of job. Just like any other business, the largest cost is personnel.
I agree. If you're still active, I would start planning and exploring other options. You never know what could happen. It doesn't hurt to be prepared for a job loss.

The Navy has been doing it for the past couple of years. There were a lot of people who thought they were safe that ended up being cut. Many were not prepared and they were severely affected when the pay checks stopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
You may be able to count on one hand, but the long lines at my local commissary tell a different story. Costco may be cheaper, but the closest one to my base is an hour away. From the next base, 2-2.5 hours. When the commissaries were closed as part of the government shutdown the line wrapped around the entire store the last day prior to closing. One of my friends on recruiting duty grocery bill increased by over $300 monthly because he did not have access to a commissary. I fortunately recruited in a military town.
There's no Wal Mart near the base?

I can understand no Costco/Sam's nearby, but Wal mart has always been nearby in every town I've been.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I agree. If you're still active, I would start planning and exploring other options. You never know what could happen. It doesn't hurt to be prepared for a job loss.

The Navy has been doing it for the past couple of years. There were a lot of people who thought they were safe that ended up being cut. Many were not prepared and they were severely affected when the pay checks stopped.

There's no Wal Mart near the base?

I can understand no Costco/Sam's nearby, but Wal mart has always been nearby in every town I've been.

IME experience, brand for brand, Walmart is on par with the commissary, then they have the store brand that trumps it. Walmart and the commissary go back and forth on the produce, depending on the item. But where the Commissary truly excels is the meats, the savings on meat still aren't beat anywhere.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
There is no possible way they would make a cut and give it back to members.

I expect some rough cuts in the next few years. Tricare rates go up. Retiree benefits cut. Active duty funding severely slashed. Unless the sequester is repealed, the next couple years for the DOD is going to hurt.
Take my word for it, our military and those in uniform will NOT suffer under the mandatory cuts unless DOD chooses to continue operating as it does. Considering that DOD is one of the few departments where budgets have built in percentage for fraud waste and mismanagement, DOD can cover any and all cost for the uniformed forces at current or heightened levels if they just took fighting waste, mismanagement and especially fraud seriously. However, since these three items are a cancer within the DOD and all the branches, they will cut the amount of ammunition you have versus the $12 billion waste and fraud discovered in some project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues