Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should U.S. Military Commissaries Remain Open?
Yes, the Military Commissaries should remain open. 35 71.43%
No, , the Military Commissaries should be closed. 9 18.37%
I'm not sure. 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Take my word for it, our military and those in uniform will NOT suffer under the mandatory cuts unless DOD chooses to continue operating as it does. Considering that DOD is one of the few departments where budgets have built in percentage for fraud waste and mismanagement, DOD can cover any and all cost for the uniformed forces at current or heightened levels if they just took fighting waste, mismanagement and especially fraud seriously. However, since these three items are a cancer within the DOD and all the branches, they will cut the amount of ammunition you have versus the $12 billion waste and fraud discovered in some project.
Did you miss the whole sequester problem?

The mandatory budget cuts are going to hurt.

People are going to suffer and some are going to be out of a job soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 AM

135 posts, read 241,140 times
I agree, when prices at the PX and commissary are on par with High end box stores, and most military shop at Wal Mart and places like Sams club or Costco's there really is not a need for these benefits. It is a good place to cut the budget I know I no longer shop there.

Only problem though is it will hurt the job market, and many kids or spouses work at these places and I don't like that idea of having more people unemployed.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron_Brodir View Post
and most military shop at Wal Mart and places like Sams club or Costco's
I would really like to see some real valid statistics on that, just out of curiosity...

Old 11-25-2013, 12:50 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The prices at Costco are usually better anyway, with higher quality. No loss here. Not impressed with the PX at Nellis.
It has been a longtime but I know when I was a vendor delivering the Commissary at the Phila Naval yard they sold our products at cost.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:28 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post

There's no Wal Mart near the base?

I can understand no Costco/Sam's nearby, but Wal mart has always been nearby in every town I've been.

Something tells me you were never stationed at the Stumps.

Man, I remember that... No car too... PX was the only place I could GET TO!
Much less when some jokers screwed up and weekend libo was canceled!!!!

You guys need to recall what it was like to be junior enlisted!!!!
(AND what % of the military is jr enlisted!)

As usual... They will be the ones taking it in the shorts!

Old 11-25-2013, 01:41 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
It's a toss up between the commissary and walmart/sams/costco...

I know that milk is almost a full $1 cheaper at costco than at the the commissary....the canned mushrooms are also cheaper...

So, it relly depends, I don't see the commissary going away anytime soon...but where you shop...again, it just depends....

Old 11-25-2013, 02:07 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Don't forget in your discussions that we have commissaries overseas...

Old 11-25-2013, 05:08 PM

185 posts, read 405,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Don't forget in your discussions that we have commissaries overseas...
My thoughts exactly.

It is clear that there are many who don't use the commissary system, for various reasons. I would really hate to see them close; I live near a small base in a small town where there is no Sam's, no Costco, and little competition. Yes, there is a Wal Mart Supercenter, but overall, it cannot compete with the commissary. I save at least 20% in my overall grocery bill, even more on meat, paper products, frozen foods and more. Plus, I live in a state that taxes groceries at a rate higher than the commissary surcharge.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Do they still use the debit card at the PX, and take that out of your pay in ten pay periods? That is like free money, and very helpful at Christmas. Basically a no interest loan.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:27 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Do they still use the debit card at the PX, and take that out of your pay in ten pay periods? That is like free money, and very helpful at Christmas. Basically a no interest loan.
Nope, I think that was called DPP (delayed payment program) now they have a straight credit card called the Star Card, and I think you can even get a regular credit card through citi bank or something through the PX....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues