Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should U.S. Military Commissaries Remain Open?
Yes, the Military Commissaries should remain open. 35 71.43%
No, , the Military Commissaries should be closed. 9 18.37%
I'm not sure. 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 11:18 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I would also suggest that if military people want to avoid this idea, than it is incumbent on them to find other savings in the DoD that would equal or exceed the savings from this plan.
The F-35 would be on my short list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 11:36 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,350,838 times
Quote:
I personally believe everyone is going to have pay part of the price in order to deal with this problem. The commissary reportedly costs taxpayers $1.4 billion a year. I'm not saying it should be eliminated without doing anything in return for servicemen and women. However, I don't see the rationalization for maintaining the commissary when a military base is adjacent to a city or town with Walmart and other grocery store chains. If the prices at these stores exceed what the soldier or sailor is paying at the commissary than I think it would make more sense to simply give them a cash stipend (yearly, or monthly) that approximates this difference.

[...]

I would also suggest that if military people want to avoid this idea, than it is incumbent on them to find other savings in the DoD that would equal or exceed the savings from this plan.
If you really believe that, once the commissary system is cut, they would both give the cash difference up and KEEP it up long-term, I have a bridge to sell you. "Promises" such as salary parity, health care, one e-mail for life, "go to Korea and you'll get base [x] next" are routinely broken. Once the commissary system was gone, the service members would be told, "oh, budget pressure, we won't raise the grocery allowance this year," and over time it would all but disappear.

I suggest one or two weapons systems myself. The costs are public. For 2014 alone, according to:

http://comptroller.defense.gov/defbu...14_Weapons.pdf

There are 14 weapons systems that each cost over 1.4 billion: F-35, C-130J, V-22, KC-46A, EA-18G, P-8A, BMD, Trident II, CVN-21, DDG-51, LCS, SSN-771, CVN-ROCH, EELV. Kill a carrier. Kill the Osprey. Kill the Joint Strike Fighter. Kill a few of the minor weapons systems that add up to 500 or 600 million. Stagger along for a few years without that replacement, we'll be fine.

So all of those weapons systems, each of which serves one specific purpose, those should take priority over the health and welfare of a massive number of families? That thought process is naive, at best.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
What has to be faced is that: 1. federal spending has to be cut; and 2. virtually no matter where it gets cut, some group is going to feel pain.
Agreed.

Quote:
But what scares me is the reference :

We put together a fact sheet with everything you need to know about the plan to close the commissary. See it here.

I really don't have time to read through it. My "DoD seeks plan to shut all U.S. commissaries", time is just pretty much exhausted. I collected all my facts earlier. I would like to see the commissaries stay, perhaps where most needed, If it really would help the vast majorities of military, but I pass two COSTCO's, one SAM's and at least five Walmart's on the way to my nearest commissary.

Maybe I should add a POLL just to see the results...

Rich

Old 11-29-2013, 05:50 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,139,792 times
Shopped at the Wal-Mart super store near our home the other day and was impressed with the selections and the prices.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:56 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,019 times
I support keeping the commissaries open. I have been in for 18 years and find the prices cheaper at the commissary even with the surcharge.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:42 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,556 times
I'm torn about this.

Quite frankly I have always shopped exclusively at the commissary until just recently when we moved to WA. We live about 40 minutes away from base and to drive to base (in ridiculous traffic) just to shop at the commissary would waste more in gas than I would save. I found Winco and it's much cheaper than the commissary in many areas except for meat prices. The commissary is consistently cheaper for meat. I meal plan, only buy what is cheapest and do not buy processed foods if I can help it so that contributes to my food budget being pretty low for a family of four. I think many stateside base commissaries could be closed and most people would just shop off base and not notice much of a difference, IF they learned how to actually shop the sales and meal plan.

I think remote bases in CONUS and bases OCONUS should stay open since in many cases there just isn't anything comparable. One thing I've noticed while reading comments on articles about this and it always strikes me as interesting when retirees talk about driving hours to go shop at a commissary to stock up. Are they really saving money by doing this or is it just the belief that it's cheaper. I mean if you are driving hours and spending money on gas just to save money on food it seems a bit robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Are there any retirees that do this here? Do you actually save a significant amount of money by doing this? I'm just curious.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
My question is why do service members need a commissary when they serve in the 50 states? I understand why it is necessary abroad, but virtually every place with a military base has shopping available.

I think it would make more sense for the government to give soldiers and sailors a cash stipend that would reflect the difference between grocery store and commissary prices.

Operating the commissary has to be pretty expensive and it does not directly add to military readiness.
no, they don't.

That's kinda the point.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:09 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The prices at Costco are usually better anyway, with higher quality. No loss here. Not impressed with the PX at Nellis.

Costco is everywhere and all military families have the option between the two, correct? Tell that to some family stationed at some base in the middle of Nowhere, USA. They exist and Costco doesn't service them. What are those folks to do, go to 7-11?

UAW retirees will continue receiving their inflated pension checks but the military gets the shaft once again.
They will need to institute the draft at this rate as they are removing any incentives to join up.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:56 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12
The prices at Costco are usually better anyway, with higher quality. No loss here. Not impressed with the PX at Nellis.
Costcos don't exist everywhere, nor do Sam's Clubs or even Wal-Marts (yet).

But the problem with the first two is that they are membership clubs, which can't be required of military personnel, unless the military pays for the membership.

It's not at all relevant if retired or other persons live off base are closer to off-base stores...most cases, they obviously will be. The commissaries will be closer to people on base.

And that is where the real question lies. It will be a considerable change of military concept to decide that military bases/posts will no longer have all the facilities sufficient for the personnel assigned there. Up until now--stretching back more than one hundred years at least--the concept has always been that the post would be capable of fully independent operation from any civilian facilities that might or might not be built nearby.

The civilian world is wild and wooly in a lot of areas; not all civilian faculties are suitable. No, we're probably not talking about major franchises like Wal-Mart...but there isn't a guarantee of a nearby Wal-Mart.

So to say the military is going to depend on civilian facilities for the support of base personnel and their dependents is a major change of a very basic concept.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,979 times
Will the cost savings be passed on to the military member, active or retired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues