Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should U.S. Military Commissaries Remain Open?
Yes, the Military Commissaries should remain open. 35 71.43%
No, , the Military Commissaries should be closed. 9 18.37%
I'm not sure. 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,139,792 times

Advertisements

According to the following article, DOD officials have told the agency responsible for operating military commissaries – stores where active and retired military families buy their groceries – to prepare a plan to close all stores in the United States!

A major slap in the face for those who serve and have served this nation!

Fortunately, Congress would have to approve it and it's not planned until the 2015 budget when, hopefully, the GOP will have kept and gained control there to put stop to this.

Veterans – remember this when you go to the voting booth in 2014 – your future depends on it.

Read the story @ DoD seeks plan to shut all U.S. commissaries | Military Times | militarytimes.com

Moderator cut: Title of the thread changed "Another Plan by Obama to Screw the Troops" to "DoD seeks plan to shut all U.S. commissaries".
There is no mention of Obama in the article.

Announcement: This forum is not to be used for political arguments. Use Politics and Other Controversies forum instead.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-22-2013 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
This proposal was thrown out by the DOD on purpose, to get a shock value from people or budget cuts.

The DOD has plenty of waste to cut, but they do not want to, so they are going to try/threaten to make cuts where it hurts so they can get all the money they ask for.

Obama has nothing to do with this, this is a DOD decision, so you should be asking yourself "why is the DOD requesting this?" Well, the reason is as I already stated.

The DOD is perhaps the most arogant department when it comes to cuts. They will do anything not to get even a penny cut, and will cry and scream over a nickle. The only way to actually cut the DOD is to implement mandatory across the board cuts.

So, instead of blaming Obama, blame the DOD, they are the ones making these decisions.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:05 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,276 times
As stated above, this has nothing to do with the administration- it's the DoD's idea and most, if not all, of the service chiefs are in favor of it.

I know I can count on one hand how many times we have done our grocery shopping in the commissary over the last 5 years.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
An anonymous source? More hysteria

Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 PM

98 posts, read 685,693 times
Better this than Tricare or 20 year retirement for sure, right?

Read numerous places online Costco and Sam's Club have better prices. Perhaps a bit of tax savings?

Source: Costco is officially cheaper than the commissary

Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
Read numerous places online Costco and Sam's Club have better prices.

Source: Costco is officially cheaper than the commissary
We have been a Costco and Sam's club member for probably over 15 years. They have been more convenient for us over the Commissary. If they were five miles away or if my wife still worked on a base we might use the Commissary more often.

I would not consider that "Source" as valid. A few people (11 posts)jabbering over eight years ago... Read through this thread, where Commissary use posts should be, for some actual comparisons: How Many Of You Use The Commissary System?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-22-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
This is part of a much larger DOD review. Ina addition to the closings, they are looking at exclusive retailers such as Walmart, Target, Costco, Safeway, etc. being contracted to operate the commissaries and other base retail operations.

They are also looking at systems similar to what some foreign military have, eligible members receive a card that discounts their purchase as a specific retailer. So you have a special card for let’s say Target that automatically discount your purchases by a set percentage at any of their locations and online. This essentially will shutter commissaries and turn all locations of the selected retailer into a commissary.

The DOD is under intense pressure to reduce spending and just about any and everything that will save money is being looked at. Some ideas are considered and tossed; others are set aside for further review. So, if you hear something, remember it may just be the next option being reviewed. As a military person or veteran, I’m hoping you are all mature enough to not jump to the ridiculous, sky is falling conclusions civilians jump to whenever they hear some tidbit of talk... or am I wrong?

Old 11-23-2013, 11:35 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,684 times
I think they need to be cut. It's a complete waste of money for the most part.

There was an article floating around awhile back discussing how it's a huge cost to the DOD with little benefit.

In the coming years there will be seriously sharp cuts coming to the DOD. Pay cuts, benefit cuts, and slashing the force.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:42 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,921 times
I would vote for that cut versus the others.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:37 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
The prices at Costco are usually better anyway, with higher quality. No loss here. Not impressed with the PX at Nellis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues