Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should U.S. Military Commissaries Remain Open?
Yes, the Military Commissaries should remain open. 35 71.43%
No, , the Military Commissaries should be closed. 9 18.37%
I'm not sure. 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 AM

28,676 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So, the fact that it is "military" associated means waste, fraud and missmanagment is a perfectly acceptable practice?
Was the current study started because of waste, fraud, and mismanagement, or was it just to determine if closing the commissaries entirely would save money? It's not always because of waste, fraud, and mismanagement that a facility is closed to save money. If they knew there was waste, fraud, and mismanagement, they'd execute a study to fix the waste, fraud, and mismanagement.

Where did the accusation of waste, fraud, and mismanagement come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
Have you shopped at these Commissaries? If they are so redundant, then why are they so ridiculously busy?
I have. I'm stationed there. NAS Coronado is hardly "ridiculously busy". I went in there and grabbed a sandwich and bag of chips on my last lunch break and it took 10 minutes. Hardly busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonapatriot View Post
I disagree with alot of comments about waste and quality. I believe that my past military commitments, allow most to have the freedom to go where they want, so do it, and leave my commissary program alone. Want to pick on something, go after the food stamp and EBT abusers.
The commissary is a huge waste of money. It needs serious work.

So you're ok with waste in the government simply because you served?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

I am a veteran and a taxpayer,and nothing soils the memory of my service more than when someone feels an entitlement to waste tax payers money just because they feel they deserve the right to waste money.
This

Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM

193 posts, read 405,365 times
Over the years, when determining total military compensation the number crunchers had come up with a value equivalence for the non monetary compensation we receive. So, if they take away my commissary privileges, I am suffering a significant cut in overall "pay/compensation" unless I get an increase in the numbers of my dollars on payday.
I think that commissaries serve a necessary need in the overall military picture and the threat of closing them is just a way to cut the military personnel cost.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I have. I'm stationed there. NAS Coronado is hardly "ridiculously busy". I went in there and grabbed a sandwich and bag of chips on my last lunch break and it took 10 minutes. Hardly busy.
That would be in the middle of a week day in the middle of a pay period wouldn't it? How is it like the Saturday after payday?

Quote:
What is the bottom line compared to the mission? No, not the budget--the budget does not represent "loss" any more than the cost of operating an Abrams tank represents "loss." What is the mission, does the commissary system fulfill its mission, and does it do so within budget?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That would be in the middle of a week day in the middle of a pay period wouldn't it? How is it like the Saturday after payday?
It was a Saturday after Payday.

Quote:
What is the bottom line compared to the mission? No, not the budget--the budget does not represent "loss" any more than the cost of operating an Abrams tank represents "loss." What is the mission, does the commissary system fulfill its mission, and does it do so within budget?
The DOD wants to cut it because it cost too much. It really doesn't matter if they are fulfilling their mission if they don't get the money to operate.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
The DOD wants to cut it because it cost too much. It really doesn't matter if they are fulfilling their mission if they don't get the money to operate.
No.

As the OP article says:

Quote:
Still, the fact that defense officials want DeCA to draft a plan for how it
potentially would carry out such a move is another sign of the heavy budget
pressures weighing on the Pentagon as a result of sequestration.
This is how the military always responds to budget pressure: Threaten a sacred cow.

It does not mean that the cow has anthrax. They just grab a sacred cow, put a gun to its head, and threaten to shoot it. Better yet, grab two or three sacred cows. "Grant our budget or we'll shoot this cow. And that one over there will be next."

You will see the DoD do this pretty frequently. Back in the late 80s under the Graham-Ruddman Act, the DoD actually skipped the last military paycheck of FY-88. Everyone in the military who was being paid twice monthly was shorted two weeks pay until his muster-out paycheck.

Over the decades I was in the military, I noticed an interesting pattern of how Republicans and Democrats vote (as parties) on military issues. It actually tends to mirror how they vote on other issues. The Republican platform will support weapons systems and other items that are good for corporations; the Democratic platform will support the military people programs, such as exchanges, housing, and commissaries.

Sometimes there is overlap--housing appropriations are good for both people and corporations. But generally speaking, Republicans will vote for guns, Democrats will vote for beans.

So the DoD knows which cows to threaten.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
It was a Saturday after Payday.
Well, all I can say is that my family is a military family and I can't tell you how many bases and posts I've been on and lived on between my parents, myself, and now two active duty kids. I have never EVER seen a commissary that wasn't packed to the gills with customers the Saturday after a payday - or on the first and fifteenth of every month either.

Not to say it couldn't happen somewhere in the world - I just haven't seen it.

I was just at the commissary with my daughter at Barksdale AFB a few months ago the day after payday, during the day. It was a madhouse! Lines stretching all the way down several aisles and wrapped around displays.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:45 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have never EVER seen a commissary that wasn't packed to the gills with customers the Saturday after a payday - or on the first and fifteenth of every month either.
Mother-in-law telephone problem. Do you size the system to the day of highest demand (costs more, great on the very busy days), or average demand (costs less, horrible several days a month)?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Mother-in-law telephone problem. Do you size the system to the day of highest demand (costs more, great on the very busy days), or average demand (costs less, horrible several days a month)?
Inasmuch as commissaries are uncomfortably overcrowded during their busy days, clearly they are not optimally sized for the days of highest demand or they would not be uncomfortably overcrowded on those days.

When we were in the Philippines, the commissary and BX frequently ran out of many items--very predictable items, as we quickly realized. That was because they were stocked according to authorized population, not according to actual purchases...because the actual use was slanted by a huge amount of black marketeering. So we ran out of certain items every month.

I would surmise that all the BX/PXs and commissaries slant their stock according to the authorized population, which is a known factor.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 PM

191 posts, read 454,454 times
Quote:

So you're ok with waste in the government simply because you served?

This
I think you got lucky (although I can't imagine why that was your lunch choice given other options that take less than 10 mins, including the food court. It's great you get a lunch break!) Did you use the speedy check our or self check out?

I was at 32nd street last weekend and it was packed. I could hardly even find a place to park. I'm there every week or two, and that is very typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues