Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should U.S. Military Commissaries Remain Open?
Yes, the Military Commissaries should remain open. 35 71.43%
No, , the Military Commissaries should be closed. 9 18.37%
I'm not sure. 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:25 AM

626 posts, read 1,242,833 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...this whole thing got me wondering..

If budget/money/funds is the issue...then why not allow/let/include Federal workers/civilians shop at the Commisary, PX/BX as regular customers?
Certainly this would add revenue and maybe the whole idea of closing these facilities be gone.

My .2 cents.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It might seem that higher pay might be possible. He states " Adopting this option would do just that by saving more than $5 billion every year once fully implemented without compromising our nation’s defense in any way". Maybe, who knows? We have about 1,429,995 active military, and we could save $5,000,000,000 million per year? How about parsing one half of that out to all active duty members? $2,500,000,000 would come out to $145 per month pay raise for each active duty member... There are a few flaws, the Senator talks about just cutting CONUS commissaries, some his budget numbers seem to be for U.S. military throughout the whole world.
That's called by various names: "Bait and switch," "shell game," et cetera.

The budgetary appropriation process for commissaries and military pay are so far apart that there is zero chance of a cut in one area resulting in an increase in the other. It simply would not happen.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
You may be able to count on one hand, but the long lines at my local commissary tell a different story. Costco may be cheaper, but the closest one to my base is an hour away. From the next base, 2-2.5 hours. When the commissaries were closed as part of the government shutdown the line wrapped around the entire store the last day prior to closing. One of my friends on recruiting duty grocery bill increased by over $300 monthly because he did not have access to a commissary. I fortunately recruited in a military town.
Not having a food facility on base will be a severe blow to many, especially junior married troops--I suspect it's more likely the CONUS commissaries will be outsourced rather than closed, if anything. I would hope.

Places like Costco can be cheaper if you can afford to buy in bulk, but item for item and including sales taxes, commissaries usually provide a cheaper "shopping basket" in the long run.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Did you miss the whole sequester problem?

The mandatory budget cuts are going to hurt.

People are going to suffer and some are going to be out of a job soon.
They will only cause pain where the military wants them to cause the loudest squealing. Don't think for a moment that the beancounters in uniform don't know how to play budget politics.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
The "commissaries" and "exchange services" are different agencies and different missions...

The Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) operates a worldwide chain of commissaries.

The Army & Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) is an agency of the United States Department of Defense with two missions, provide merchandise and services to authorized customers and to generate earnings to supplement appropriated funds for the support of United States Army and Air Force Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) programs.

The Navy operates the equivalent Navy Exchange (NEX) and the Marine Corps operates the Marine Corps Exchange (MCX) and the United States Coast Guard operates the Coast Guard Exchange (CGX).

Commissaries.com
Application redirect
http://www.mynavyexchange.com/
Coast Guard Exchange

Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 AM

Anyone here in uniform in the late 70s? We had a four-year budget freeze, including pay. On my base, we were forbidden to run air conditioning in family housing unless the military member was in the house. There were actually monitors who walked the streets during the duty day--if they heard an air conditioner running, they checked to see if the military member was actually at home.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Hmmm...this whole thing got me wondering..

If budget/money/funds is the issue...then why not allow/let/include Federal workers/civilians shop at the Commisary, PX/BX as regular customers?
Certainly this would add revenue and maybe the whole idea of closing these facilities be gone.

My .2 cents.

There are several legal issues. You would now be competing with local businesses. Taxes would not be paid to the local and state civilian communities.

There are also different agencies and missions involved.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Anyone here in uniform in the late 70s? We had a four-year budget freeze, including pay. On my base, we were forbidden to run air conditioning in family housing unless the military member was in the house. There were actually monitors who walked the streets during the duty day--if they heard an air conditioner running, they checked to see if the military member was actually at home.
This seems really efficient.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
That's called by various names: "Bait and switch," "shell game," et cetera.
I disagree based on the actual definitions of the terms you are thowing out.

Quote:
The budgetary appropriation process for commissaries and military pay are so far apart that there is zero chance of a cut in one area resulting in an increase in the other. It simply would not happen.
Tell it to Tom Coburn, M.D., United States Senator from Oklahoma. He has some good points and appears to have put a lot of thought into the subject. I read through the 70+ page document, it would be a shame to toss out the entire concept and ideas. But I really did not grasp all of the ideas, that is his job. I'm just an old retired soldier.

Just my opinions.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I disagree based on the actual definitions of the terms you are thowing out.

Tell it to Tom Coburn, M.D., United States Senator from Oklahoma. He has some good points and appears to have put a lot of thought into the subject. I read through the 70+ page document, it would be a shame to toss out the entire concept and ideas. But I really did not grasp all of the ideas, that is his job. I'm just an old retired soldier.

Just my opinions.
He might mean well, and it might even be a good idea. But the issues are simply too far apart in the budget process. The generals will have their budget really tightly wound together when it goes to Congress. For a senator, it's like coming in at the end of a really complex game of Jenga. You can't just yank a piece out of the bottom and place it on the top.

Sometimes Congress tries, and the generals will allow unintended consequences break something just to teach Senators a lesson. Do you remember the brou-ha-ha in 2007 when it was reported that wounded soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan were in horrible conditions in a run-down Walter Reed military hospital?

Well, the reason it was run-down was because Congress had voted in 2005 to close it. The military isn't going to budget refurbishment for a facility that Congress has ordered closed. Congress: "Did we do that?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues