Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,048 times

Advertisements

Holy Cow! I wonder if we were in the same school?? I have been searching the internet for some info to share with my 6th graders. The Social Studies teachers are introducing Japan and the Japanese life and asked me to share my experiences.
Unfortunately, most of our family pictures were stolen years ago and my father died a few years ago. My mother suffers with Alzeheimers, so I'm on my own.
Your descriptions took the words out of my mouth. I hope to hear from you soon. Take care and thank you for sharing!
Norma Jean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 41,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigeary View Post
Your daughter will LOVE our high school and so will you. My daughter is a freshman coming from 7 and 8th grade homeschool and grades 3-6 public school and grades K-2 DODDS school in Italy.

I love our high school-Kinnick High and so does she.

We have about 800 students. We have sports programs, drama and chorus, band, academic and service clubs and ROTC. The classes are competitive and we offer AP and honors courses. The teachers are wonderful and well rounded. It is a progressive environment that stresses not only excellence of academics but character too. I have found the DODDS schools are safer and more inviting than stateside public schools with the same activities and opportunities. It is smaller than a statside school, but that is nicer too.

Good things not always offered in a stateside school

1.The clubs/teams travel to other parts of the country to compete against other school.

2. The teachers are top notch

3. There is more administrative ability to contain and reform problem behavior, leading to a safer and more productive learning environment.

4. Fewer students

5. Opportunities for cultural enrichment

6. The programs enjoy wide spread base/community support

We have the homecoming dance tonight. The JV and Varsity games were last night after the homecoming parade. All week the days were different themes of dress for spirit week and the different classes decorated different hallways. We have prom and other school wide activities as well as plays/musicals. We also have Student Council.

If you have any questions about your upcoming move, feel free to email me at jigeary@hotmail.com. We have been here 3 months and are LOVING IT. We have 4th, 5th, and 9th grade girls. We have been stationed in Italy, Virginia and Maryland.

Hope this helps!

Hi, We are moving to Yokosuka in May and I'm wondering since you mentioned you have a 4th and 5th grader, do they switch classes for different subject? School here in Atsugi, Japan for the entire 4th grade classes, are switching classes for different subject that's why I'm curious if the school in Yokosuka does that? And are you living on base yet and how long did you have to wait for Base Housing? I appreciate these informations that you could share with me. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:19 AM

8 posts, read 66,001 times
Smile Housing and school

My fifth grader's class is "team taught" and they switch rooms for half the day with an adjoining room. I think a few of the fourth grade classes are that way too, but as far as changing for each subject-no. I think a couple of the 4th grad classes have the teachers switch rooms, but not my fourth grader. As far as housing goes, my situation was unique because we were part of the homeport change for the GW and there was housing set aside for us as a group. There is some housing open, but it is not ON the main base (but it is military housing with easy access to trains and home to work buses). Main base housing has a 3-6 month wait list depending on family size and rank. There are apts. available for families of 4 or less and no pets. And then there are the townhouses for families of 4 or more and pets If you have any other questions, you can email me. Y'all aren't too far away...maybe we can do lunch and I'll show you around. Have a good one.

jigeary@hotmail.com

Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 AM

10 posts, read 41,342 times
Default housing, school and lunch

Lunch sounds good! Thanks for all the info. My husband is going to GW too. Gosh...I pray that we can move into the main base housing!
One more question, have you come across anybody give piano lesson on baes? Maybe you can email me and we can hook up in May. My email is fayngirls@yahoo.com

Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,942 times
Me, my wife, four kids, and dog may be moving to Yokosuka soon. I am a Civil Servant. What can I expect in terms of housing? Also, where can I get help preparing for this major transition?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 AM

29 posts, read 113,960 times
My husband and I are going over in November. I can't tell you about housing, but I can tell you there is allot that needs to be done to take a pet with you. Check out this website: http://www.usarj.army.mil/organization/vet/index.aspx
This site has helped me with my cats and hopefully I won't have to put them in to quarantine.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,550 times
Default Sad in Japan

Hello,

My family and moved here from Mayport, FL and I am not feeling it here in Japan. Don't know what to do.

Sad and Confused

Old 05-03-2009, 05:12 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poliscigirl08 View Post
Hello,

My family and moved here from Mayport, FL and I am not feeling it here in Japan. Don't know what to do.

Sad and Confused
Give it time. I don't know how long you have been there and yes, it is much different than Mayport, but take time to get to know other people. The weather will be much like Mayport soon...HOT! Actually, you will find the weather spot on to the south east coast weather. I was there when it was cold and rainy.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 AM

8 posts, read 66,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poliscigirl08 View Post
Hello,

Sad and Confused

Its OK...that's normal, especially if your spouse is getting ready to start deploying. I live in Ikego and it can get a little lonely here, esp. b/c my kids are older. It is hard to get in the swing of things sometimes. This is our second overseas move and I have noticed that it has taken me about 6-9 months each time to sort of settle in and not feel like coming was a mistake. You have to grin and bear it...or sometimes jus bear it, and it will get better. Email if you need anything. jigeary@hotmail.com

Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,805 times
Poliscigirl, I'm sorry you are having a hard time. When I first moved to Japan, my husband immediately went underway and I didn't adjust well on my own. I fell into a depression. There were some great Navy psychiatrists and psychologists in Yokosuka who helped me overcome it. Be sure to get help if you need it. After a few months, I adjusted, made friends and began teaching English. Connecting with people is key.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues