U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2017, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
18,269 posts, read 22,513,050 times
Reputation: 20827

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
free education, etc.

iirc, if you drop out after starting your junior year, you owe some active military time.
If you get the degree you owe some active military time, too: five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2017, 04:20 AM
 
8,598 posts, read 5,776,521 times
Reputation: 14615
When you're in combat, if one man is bent on getting the rest of you killed, you take him out. That's all. Sorry you find it distasteful. If you've been trained for combat and this offends you then this is part of the problem of today's military.

It's kind of like being in a chemical warfare zone when you all have your gas masks on. How do you know that the area is safe for taking off your gas mask? You have the lowest ranking person remove their gas mask and you observe. If they don't die or suffer effects then it's safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 05:17 AM
 
15,229 posts, read 7,619,986 times
Reputation: 14237
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
When you're in combat, if one man is bent on getting the rest of you killed, you take him out. That's all. Sorry you find it distasteful. If you've been trained for combat and this offends you then this is part of the problem of today's military.
Except you've got the scenario wrong. There is no indication that this guy is bent on getting anyone killed. He might be competent on the battlefield.

Quote:
It's kind of like being in a chemical warfare zone when you all have your gas masks on. How do you know that the area is safe for taking off your gas mask? You have the lowest ranking person remove their gas mask and you observe. If they don't die or suffer effects then it's safe.
You got different chem training than I got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
8,339 posts, read 6,541,795 times
Reputation: 8972
He needs a shrink more than punishment. A West Point cadet...how could this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 11:02 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
22,932 posts, read 34,891,079 times
Reputation: 26614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
He needs a shrink more than punishment. A West Point cadet...how could this happen?
Not a cadet. 2nd Lieutenant Rapone is a West Point graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 11:29 AM
 
Location: East Helena, MT
570 posts, read 289,210 times
Reputation: 1376
I think some of the comments are off as well, however there are some very REAL reasons he is in trouble. In order to get a security clearance, you have to prove that you do not hold any allegiance that is higher than you allegiance to the United States. He simply can't do that. His love for Communism is so great that he is willing to risk his job to serve it. Being an officer, who can't get a security clearance, basically eliminates him from ever serving in a combat zone. He also can't be an Army Ranger.


The second problem he has is his attitude. Just look at the pictures, he is smug, and very full of himself. That type of attitude doesn't have a place in the military. His soldiers will never accept him. There isn't any way he can effectively lead.


I would make him a driver for a flag officer. He can spend the next 5 years being a man servant. Because he would be attached to a flag officer, any insubordination will be handled swiftly.


My sister in law is currently assigned to a headquarters unit. She works in the office of a one star. She hates it, because she has to be in full dress uniform everyday. The one star thinks that he is God on Earth, and she hates the working environment. She can't wait to get new orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 11:30 AM
 
3,248 posts, read 923,632 times
Reputation: 4154
Besides stupidity, what is the real issue here?

If he had a picture of "our" dictators in Central or S. America on his TEE, would that change things?

I haven't done a lot of reading on the Dude, but if there is a God I would think he smiles more on Che than on Don the Con...

"As a young medical student, Guevara traveled throughout South America and was radicalized by the poverty, hunger and disease he witnessed. His burgeoning desire to help overturn what he saw as the capitalist exploitation of Latin America by the United States prompted his involvement in Guatemala's social reforms under President Jacobo Árbenz, whose eventual CIA-assisted overthrow at the behest of the United Fruit Company solidified Guevara's political ideology."

One has to accept that we (the USA) have been involved in some pretty shady dealings over the centuries. It's hard for me to imagine that most current Americans support our conquest and enslavement (though poverty, propping up of dictators, etc.) of our fellow man.

He should be disciplined - but whether it was a naked women, a unflattering pic of Don the Con or some other untoward statement is of little consequence.

I don't think it says anything in our Constitution about "opposing socialism" - if such was true, we wouldn't be trading with Europe and much of the rest of the world. In fact, I hear we are trading with Communist countries now and even educating their students (and vice versa).

Big deal over nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 12:10 PM
 
15,229 posts, read 7,619,986 times
Reputation: 14237
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

He should be disciplined - but whether it was a naked women, a unflattering pic of Don the Con or some other untoward statement is of little consequence.
.
His commander can jerk him around unofficially a bit, and that happens a lot with JOs who are basically smart but need a minor quiet application of KITA (Kick In The Azz) management to set them straight. Most get the message and fly straight thereafter for the rest of their careers.


But with officers, KITA either works the first time or they do something more foolish (something that everyone finds out about) the next time and the next step is official discipline.


The problem is that officially disciplining an officer is automatically a career killer. The least official discipline they can give him is Non-Judicial Punishment (Article 15), and unless we're in dire need of officers in a war we're losing, he's not going to recover from that bad ink.


As they say in the military, "We can fix almost anything, but we can't fix 'stupid.'" The thing in this case is that his first stupid act was to wear and be pictured in his cadet uniform with a political tee under it.


What we're reacting to now is his second stupid act...making that public.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 01:13 PM
 
11,212 posts, read 5,855,323 times
Reputation: 18352
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Besides stupidity, what is the real issue here?

If he had a picture of "our" dictators in Central or S. America on his TEE, would that change things?

I haven't done a lot of reading on the Dude, but if there is a God I would think he smiles more on Che than on Don the Con...

"As a young medical student, Guevara traveled throughout South America and was radicalized by the poverty, hunger and disease he witnessed. His burgeoning desire to help overturn what he saw as the capitalist exploitation of Latin America by the United States prompted his involvement in Guatemala's social reforms under President Jacobo Árbenz, whose eventual CIA-assisted overthrow at the behest of the United Fruit Company solidified Guevara's political ideology."

One has to accept that we (the USA) have been involved in some pretty shady dealings over the centuries. It's hard for me to imagine that most current Americans support our conquest and enslavement (though poverty, propping up of dictators, etc.) of our fellow man.

He should be disciplined - but whether it was a naked women, a unflattering pic of Don the Con or some other untoward statement is of little consequence.

I don't think it says anything in our Constitution about "opposing socialism" - if such was true, we wouldn't be trading with Europe and much of the rest of the world. In fact, I hear we are trading with Communist countries now and even educating their students (and vice versa).

Big deal over nothing.
Well, you should read more about this, and the entire thread would be a good starting point since you claim that it's a big deal over nothing.

His social media posting about Sec Def Mattis was in clear direct violation of UCMJ Article 88. And yes a Marine was discharged from the Marine Corps in 2012 for making inflammatory statements about President Obama on social media.

The US military is not US general public thank god. The US military is not for narcissist wanna be viral heroes. Some standards and rules need to be enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 01:20 PM
 
3,248 posts, read 923,632 times
Reputation: 4154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, you should read more about this, and the entire thread would be a good starting point since you claim that it's a big deal over nothing.

His social media posting about Sec Def Mattis was in clear direct violation of UCMJ Article 88. And yes a Marine was discharged from the Marine Corps in 2012 for making inflammatory statements about President Obama on social media.

The US military is not US general public thank god. The US military is not for narcissist wanna be viral heroes. Some standards and rules need to be enforced.
I do fully agree on the non-politicization of the military.

There have been other similar situations as I remember - some went away, some didn't.

If you want to play the Military Game you have to tow the line...especially as an West Point Grad and Officer.

I never was in the "real" military, but I went to VFMA and upon Graduation could have chosen to become a 2nd Lt (automatically...such a deal)....

I learned discipline there - which is really quite simple. It involved keeping my trap shut. The LAST thing a soldier or wanna-be needs to do it to get noticed (medals aside).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top