Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:40 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc1970 View Post
Piratte Lafitte where in Georgia do you live? I used to live in Atlanta (briefly) - Have you lived in Minnesota before? How would you compare the South to Minn?
I live in Cobb County(Kennesaw). I have not lived in MN, but I have traveled up there to see my family. The reason I know about MN because I read alot of books.
My comparison of MN to the South is that Minnesota tends to be more reserved and more innovative, sort of like Sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM

45 posts, read 342,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
No because you can fry those in a lot of batter and enjoy the crunch. Lutefisk is served simply with plain butter or cream, cream because some Minnesotans cannot stand to eat anything with a little color in it. It's not a staple. No VFW lutefisk fry on fridays.

Actually I quite like lutefisk. I just make fun of it a bit because I know many people can't stand lutefisk.
I actually like fish so maybe it wouldn't be bad -

Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 AM

48 posts, read 162,094 times
I have lived in Minnesota all my life so I can't speak to the experience of someone moving here from outside the state. I will say, however, that our reserved, Scandinavian image is only one part of who we are. Minnesota has become very multi-ethnic in recent years and that has added wonderful opportunities for getting to know people from many backgrounds. I live in Saint Paul (our home sits on a bluff that overlooks downtown and the State Capitol building). Every year we attend "Taste of Minnesota" where foods of many cultures are offered (even lutefisk!), the Festival of Nations, the Irish Heritage Festival, etc. etc. There is a new Mexican Counselate in our neighborhood, and, as well, the Native American traditions and festival are wonderful opportunities to explore more of our diversity. As for making friends---smaller gatherings are the way to go. Though I have lots of friends and family in the state, sometimes I get the urge to meet new people. One thing I do is to participate in several community education classes: dance classes, writing seminars, groups that tour state attractions, etc. It is easy to meet people that share my interests and that gives opportunity to create lasting friendships. Come visit!! You will be welcome.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:14 PM

11 posts, read 42,492 times
I am from New England and have found Minnesota to be very friendly. I think there are many transplants to the Twin Cities and these people are more likely to become your best friends than the folks who are busy being friends with the folks they met in kindergarten. Honestly, you'll meet people.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM

45 posts, read 342,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucie1970 View Post
I am from New England and have found Minnesota to be very friendly. I think there are many transplants to the Twin Cities and these people are more likely to become your best friends than the folks who are busy being friends with the folks they met in kindergarten. Honestly, you'll meet people.
That is encouraging. I just spoke with my recruiter and it looks like a I have an interview. I really would like to check out the Twin Cities - they seem to have so much to offer. I really don't mind people being reserved. To be honest, I would rather be in an environment where people are polite rather than dramatic and emotional (which frankly makes me uncomfortable).

Old 04-02-2008, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 25,943 times
I think a lot of people have family as NewCastle mentioned and tend to do the family thing, although I've found it really easy to meet neighbors and associate or hang out with them, but I wouldn't call them good friends. I've also noticed that being a single male makes it harder to build friendships, most people like to do things as couples and you end up feeling like the odd man out.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM

775 posts, read 578,985 times
Minnesotans are comme ci comme ca as far as friendships. They do not hesitate not to show up if they don't feel like it. Apart from this, everything else in the Twin Cities is highly recommended - lots of culture, and beauty. Oh and lutefisk. You have to work to find it. It's disgusting - wriggly jelly white fish of some sort.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:14 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Quote:
I guess I wouldn't fit in. By the way, what exactly is lutefisk?
Scandinavian biological warfare

Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Quote:
Hi,

I have been reading some posts on the Minnesota forum and am really surprised that people live there for years and never make any true friends. This is really disturbing to me. I have considered Minnesota for a move, along with upstate New York. I really would like to get some feedback about this "Minnesota Nice" - Is this the same as "Southern Hospitality"? Are people really that "Nice"? I think for the most part we live in a very "superficial" society today. People are more isolated and socially fragmented than ever and it really doesn't seem to matter where you live in light of this. We live in a very mobile society today where most people don't stick around and stay in the communities where they grow up and a lot of people don't have a social network anymore. That said, I don't think that moving around is a bad thing. People move for a variety of reasons - some good, some not so good, but a lot of times people move due to job availability, cost of living, quality of life issues - and who can fault people for that? I don't. But, to be honest, it is very hard to connect anywhere these days. I live in Colorado and you would think due to all the transplants it would be easy to make friends here. It is easy to meet people, but not easy to make lasting friendships I have found. And Colorado is not a "my dance card is full" type of place but yet you have the same problem. Ironically, in spite of great climate, 300+ days of sunshine per year, Colorado Springs was just listed as having the 2nd highest suicide rate in the nation (for urban areas in 2004) and I read somewhere that Denver was also high on the list. It really is mind boggling. I was talking to a fireman here in town once and he said that most of their calls are related to suicide attempts because people come out here and don't connect. That is so sad. What is wrong?
I'd say it took me about 5-6 years before I had a good group of friends that I regularly hung out with and could call on. Then, after 10 years, I relocated to Colorado () and am now faced with the same problem of making new friends. Been here nearly 3 years and I probably have 3 close friends and all of them live at least 20 miles away.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times
I think this happens for most people anywhere they move that's new.We met alot of people who were nice in South Carolina but didn't have anyone to hang out with.We are now in Southern Minnesota and will see what happens currently we will go up to the cities and hang out with my husbands family. I just think people who grow up in an area and have their own circle of friends already built and its hard for an outsider to enter that circle.So it's easy to make aquaintances but not friends.I guess it's a good thing my husband and I are each others best friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota