Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Camp meat. Nasty blizzard blew in, was looking at starvation, or even worse. Had to do something. With 5-8 mph winds, visibility down to a mile, we've gotten almost a half inch of snow since it started at 7 this morning. Some of the snow drifts are 3 to 4 inches deep. Was looking like I had to do something for survival.
I'd never disparage a man for providing for himself.

We have doe here until 01/31. I have one unfilled tag and I reckon I'll fill it. Gonna get some more fish in the freezer too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'd never disparage a man for providing for himself.

We have doe here until 01/31. I have one unfilled tag and I reckon I'll fill it. Gonna get some more fish in the freezer too...
Oh, I would not poach unless it was imperative for survival, and then I would still be very hesitant. This cow come off of the NX Bar ranch which is a private game preserve. They are licensed to issue their own tags and sell trophy hunts. I believe they also have a website. My. Son in Law is a mechanic and guide for them. Many times, the trophy hunters only want the neck up and they give the rest to the guide. As a result, he brings me out a quarter from time to time. I got two hind quarters last year and about 60 pounds of burger. This happened to be a three year old cow, marked for cull. Son in Law shot it this morning and brought me a. quarter. Who am I to argue. Just cutting it up, I can tell its a lot more tender than the last hind quarter that came off a 11x9. It was good, corn fed elk, but a little tougher cutting up. This cow actually has a good layer of fat that I'm having to trim off.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-12-2015 at 12:36 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 11:14 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Lol, here I thought a wayward, malnourished cow was near death or something..

Glad to know you have some good protein available. Go light on the gravy!

Old 01-12-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Lol, here I thought a wayward, malnourished cow was near death or something..

Glad to know you have some good protein available. Go light on the gravy!
Hahaha. No they cull based on breeding issues. With a closed system where they carefully introduce new stuff, they cull natural born so they won't have future breeding problems (freaks). They explained it once to me, a long time ago. They normally get 2 breeding seasons out of cow and by then, their first born 'could' be old enough to breed his mom, so if he hasn't been taken yet, they cull her. If she has female offspring, they keep her another year or until there is the possibility of inbreeding again. I don't mind the culls. hahaha

Old 01-12-2015, 05:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Hahaha. No they cull based on breeding issues. With a closed system where they carefully introduce new stuff, they cull natural born so they won't have future breeding problems (freaks). They explained it once to me, a long time ago. They normally get 2 breeding seasons out of cow and by then, their first born 'could' be old enough to breed his mom, so if he hasn't been taken yet, they cull her. If she has female offspring, they keep her another year or until there is the possibility of inbreeding again. I don't mind the culls. hahaha
Pity our government doesn't work that way!
Hey Elk, ya need to find someone to bring ya a Buffalo! If that happens I'll be over to help you cook dinner...
Buffalo rib steaks or tenderloin anyone?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Pity our government doesn't work that way!
Hey Elk, ya need to find someone to bring ya a Buffalo! If that happens I'll be over to help you cook dinner...
Buffalo rib steaks or tenderloin anyone?
As a matter of fact, my daughter and son-in-law, draw a tag and shoot a buffalo every 3 or 4 yeas Previously, they've done it on shares, so I have to wait for somebody to die, before I can get in the bunch. I am on the waiting list for a hind quarter. I figure I'll move up and be able to actually get some buffalo. A few years back they gave me some burger. A front quarter of buffalo, ground up with two front quarters (if I remember. correctly) of elk, into burger. That stuff was like crack, you couldn't stop eating it.

I love buffalo and am fortunate t live in an area that has several bison ranches so its not as expensive as other places. Plus, many of the restaurants serve bison on the menu.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 PM

I've got an old Gerber hunting knife that I have had for years. Its a sheath type, 5 inch blade. There is no model number or name on it, other than Gerber. Not even sure what steel is used, its dark gray in Colo. I absolutely love it.

I took my Lansky, 3 stone, and put an edge on it before processing this hind quarter of elk. I deboned it, and then cut it up. into steaks or chislic (1 inch cubes). I never once had to touch that blade with a steel or a stone. That edge held up great through the whole process. That's a lot of cutting without having to resharpen the knife.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Crop damage?
What did you plant in January??

Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
REZ!! You're back!!

Hope all went well with your move.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Multiple near-disasters and a long stint snowed in (we had to hire a tow truck to get the horse trailer out) but finally have a place... not ideal but good enough. Near Laurel. Damn, I'm almost back to North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana